What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (114 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They most certainly DO inspect under the hood whenever I have brought my 80 in. Whether or not that individual technician will know what it's supposed to look like and what might be missing is probably hit or miss, but they have looked under my hood every time. They also call their buddies over if they're not sure what they're looking at, in my experience. Considering an 80 with all it's emissions equipment intact has a hard time passing the sniffer these days, all I can say is godspeed and good luck!
Any thought to testing out a new set of dimpled pistons during an engine rebuild to improve efficiency, fuel economy, power, and reduce emissions. If it can help big old diesels that have been banned from California, maybe it will help vintage cruisers in emissions states too. I live in a state with no emissions inspection, and no one concerned about vehicle emissions. Our volcanos put out more particulate and Vog, (volcanic smog) every day than all of LA county puts out in a year...

Installed an Aussie-locked 3rd member. Increase in traction is impressive.

IMG_0924.jpeg

IMG_0925.jpeg

IMG_0926.jpeg

IMG_0927.jpeg

IMG_0928.jpeg

Bartered some swingout tire carrier brackets for the inevitable head refresh on my 290,000 mile 1Fzfe. I will mildly clean up the ports and port match so it’s on the shelf as a complete unit.

Way less down time🍻

9B4ADAAF-38F6-4961-8D2F-C14A893574E3.jpeg

7B5EB26A-C612-4DD5-9BB8-B04EB894DB3F.jpeg

C79DBCB5-D8C3-456A-A5AA-5FFC77644D20.jpeg

Last edited:
Any thought to testing out a new set of dimpled pistons during an engine rebuild to improve efficiency, fuel economy, power, and reduce emissions. If it can help big old diesels that have been banned from California, maybe it will help vintage cruisers in emissions states too. I live in a state with no emissions inspection, and no one concerned about vehicle emissions. Our volcanos put out more particulate and Vog, (volcanic smog) every day than all of LA county puts out in a year...

Haha, and they have a major co2 and particulate monitoring station on top of Moana Loa 🤣 🤣 . I'm sure it's a really accurate gauge of vehicle emissions and global warming.

The dish of a piston would need to be offset by milling of the head or changing where the piston sits on the hole to offset the loss in compression.

A cruiser should be able tonpass modern emissions if it's healthy. Is be curious to see how some of these rebuilds do on smog. I bet it's quite impressive.

Things like healthy oil rings, clean injectors and a proper timing curve go a long ways.

The dish of a piston would need to be offset by milling of the head or changing where the piston sits on the hole to offset the loss in compression.

A cruiser should be able tonpass modern emissions if it's healthy. Is be curious to see how some of these rebuilds do on smog. I bet it's quite impressive.

Things like healthy oil rings, clean injectors and a proper timing curve go a long ways.
All you said is true. A healthy Landcruiser should be able to pass emissions. What I was referring to was not dished pistons, but dimpled, kind of like a golf ball. Looks like it can yeild about a 10% power increase and cleaner combustion, & thereby a reduction in emissions. The technology is mostly being applied to diesels at this point, but it seems it could benefit any internal combustion piston engine.

Bought it and drove it home.

Saw this beauty parked in front of a mechanic’s shop with a for sale sign. It was there for several weeks and I never stopped because I figured they wanted too much. On the way home from the store I just stopped and looked at the price and talked to the owner. The price was right and I’m a sucker for a Land Cruiser. I test drove it the next morning and was surprised by the mechanical soundless and lack of rust. No rust, 1994 80 series. Needs a few little leaks fixed, but it runs and drives great. 365,000 miles strong. Looking forward to fixing this gem up a little and keeping it for a little while. Welcome to the family Tumbleweed.

E0AD360D-2142-4E19-8DEF-80D9AAE78C02.jpeg
EDA1267B-3A7C-4679-B59D-63EA7682F6AA.jpeg

Saw this beauty parked in front of a mechanic’s shop with a for sale sign. It was there for several weeks and I never stopped because I figured they wanted too much. On the way home from the store I just stopped and looked at the price and talked to the owner. The price was right and I’m a sucker for a Land Cruiser. I test drove it the next morning and was surprised by the mechanical soundless and lack of rust. No rust, 1994 80 series. Needs a few little leaks fixed, but it runs and drives great. 365,000 miles strong. Looking forward to fixing this gem up a little and keeping it for a little while. Welcome to the family Tumbleweed.

View attachment 3289520View attachment 3289519
V8 swap!!!!

All you said is true. A healthy Landcruiser should be able to pass emissions. What I was referring to was not dished pistons, but dimpled, kind of like a golf ball. Looks like it can yeild about a 10% power increase and cleaner combustion, & thereby a reduction in emissions. The technology is mostly being applied to diesels at this point, but it seems it could benefit any internal combustion piston engine.

Reading that article tells me it's aplied to diesels due the shape of the modern diesel piston.

Reading that article tells me it's aplied to diesels due the shape of the modern diesel piston.
The theory holds for all piston engines. Especially those seeking greater power and efficiency and lower emissions at the same time.

Any surface in the combustion chamber will provide some benefit from the inversion layer effect created by dimpling the surface.

The most bang for the buck comes from dimpling the piston top. Going to the Speed of Air website it is clear that they are starting with producing pistons for diesels because they are a large market and they need the most help remaining legal in California and NY. Especially popular series of Caterpillar and Cummins medium and heavy trucks that were recently made illegal in California by the latest round of tighter requirements. With an in frame overhaul these trucks can meet newer tighter emissions requirements. Pickup engine piston sets are in the works, for duramax, Cummins, and powerstroke. Its not a first step in meeting emissions obviously, and it’s not like we live in Japan where the engines have to be overhauled at such tight intervals to meet emissions; I just wonder if someone in need of an overhaul that lives in an emissions state should send a set of Toyota 3FE or 1FZ pistons in to be dimpled to see if they make a considerable difference...

View attachment 3289520View attachment 3289519
Very nice. I bought mine and dragged it home to be fixed not that long ago. Congratulations.

The theory holds for all piston engines. Especially those seeking greater power and efficiency and lower emissions at the same time.

Any surface in the combustion chamber will provide some benefit from the inversion layer effect created by dimpling the surface.

The most bang for the buck comes from dimpling the piston top. Going to the Speed of Air website it is clear that they are starting with producing pistons for diesels because they are a large market and they need the most help remaining legal in California and NY. Especially popular series of Caterpillar and Cummins medium and heavy trucks that were recently made illegal in California by the latest round of tighter requirements. With an in frame overhaul these trucks can meet newer tighter emissions requirements. Pickup engine piston sets are in the works, for duramax, Cummins, and powerstroke. Its not a first step in meeting emissions obviously, and it’s not like we live in Japan where the engines have to be overhauled at such tight intervals to meet emissions; I just wonder if someone in need of an overhaul that lives in an emissions state should send a set of Toyota 3FE or 1FZ pistons in to be dimpled to see if they make a considerable difference...

I can see a benefit but not like diesels.
I don't see it being worth the cost. You think with the widespread aftermarket in gas motors someone would've adopted it by now.

The combustion process, temperature and speed in a diesel is totally different not to mention the shape of the piston.

I did some more reading

Orca racing engines uses a similar process in race bikes to improve detonation resistance. But can't provide any data.

An independent tester noted 77% less nox on diesel motors and 3.2% less bfc.

But I've yet to find any results for gas motors that aren't race, and most of soa's market is commerical medium duty diesels.

I did some more reading

Orca racing engines uses a similar process in race bikes to improve detonation resistance. But can't provide any data.

An independent tester noted 77% less nox on diesel motors and 3.2% less bfc.

But I've yet to find any results for gas motors that aren't race, and most of soa's market is commerical medium duty diesels.
Very true, the value of being able to do an in frame piston and ring replacement on a big Diesel engine and continue using a commercial truck versus having to replace a $100k plus medium to heavy truck is definitely there. It makes sense to go after such a lucrative market first.

And yes the piston shapes are wildly different between most Diesel engines and a gas engine. The idea is fairly new, and I predict as more testing in different engines happens, dimpled pistons will become fairly commonplace. The dimpling like on a golf ball creates a minute inversion layer of air along the surface, which would allow the flame front to travel more uniformly during combustion as the layer of air acts as insulation between the cooler piston and the flame front. The combustion is more uniform and the layer of air blocking the flame front from direct contact with the piston reduces carbon deposits, and promotes better fuller cleaner combustion.

I’m very interested in trying a set of SOA modified pistons, (or ones dimpled by a machine shop), when an opportunity arises. See if 10% power gain on the 4.5 can be achieved.

Anyway, just realized this conversation has probably gone way off topic of the original thread. Moderators Sorry for the unintended hijacking. Aloha

Very true, the value of being able to do an in frame piston and ring replacement on a big Diesel engine and continue using a commercial truck versus having to replace a $100k plus medium to heavy truck is definitely there. It makes sense to go after such a lucrative market first.

And yes the piston shapes are wildly different between most Diesel engines and a gas engine. The idea is fairly new, and I predict as more testing in different engines happens, dimpled pistons will become fairly commonplace. The dimpling like on a golf ball creates a minute inversion layer of air along the surface, which would allow the flame front to travel more uniformly during combustion as the layer of air acts as insulation between the cooler piston and the flame front. The combustion is more uniform and the layer of air blocking the flame front from direct contact with the piston reduces carbon deposits, and promotes better fuller cleaner combustion.

I’m very interested in trying a set of SOA modified pistons, (or ones dimpled by a machine shop), when an opportunity arises. See if 10% power gain on the 4.5 can be achieved.

Anyway, just realized this conversation has probably gone way off topic of the original thread. Moderators Sorry for the unintended hijacking. Aloha

It's tech talk. So it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom