What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (108 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a tikka, I'm guessing 300wm or 7mm RM. Is that a factory option with the heavy barrel/sissy whistle and adjustable stock? They shoot nice enough from the factory you usually dont need to mod those things.

I dig the shooting bench. You build that? Details? seats on the far side but it looks like it was built for a lefty.

Browning x-bolt long range hunter 1:8" twist 300 win mag . I am keeping 210 grain berger vld's under 1 moa out to 600 yards. The rifle is still factory stock other than a spring for the trigger and the scope.

My old man built the shooting bench. He cut two pieces of 3/4" plywood and glued them together so it is 1.5" thick. The legs are galvanized pipe that screw in on the bottom. For a seat I am using a little fold up stool right now but anything would work.

16461613002853883460278893417757.jpg

Last edited:
Worked on the cabin NVH and temps a little. Removed rear heater core/blower, then put down a few bits of hushmat damping over the OEM dampener where the panels sounded a little tinny still, then laid 170mil noico foam down (not all tacked down, just taped in loosely), then covered PS front and rear and DS with 3mm radiant barrier insulation that got taped up. Tried to cover trans tunnel entirely.

Initial impression is quieter ride and much less heat from trans tunnel, but will see if heat is actually better on my next long drive.

Ordered a new shift lever boot (33555-60071) because the original boot is wide open to the road when in Drive.

Also did hushmat and noico foam in 2 of 4 doors while replacing window motors and glass runs.

PXL_20220226_233709375.jpg

PXL_20220226_233640134.jpg

If stars align, I plan a 10 - 14 days camping out the back of our 80. Mojave road a couple of days and then up into death valley for the balance and hitting a bunch of spots.

I've always previously camped out of a tent, but with just one person, sleeping in the back of the 80 is totally viable and there's certainly tons of space for one person. Last trip I spent 4 or 5 days sleeping in the back with a thermarest and making room to contort myself into the odd space (wheel well etc). For this longer trip I figured for well under $100 I can make an elevated platform to sleep on and leave enough room under to slip three 24"x16"x 7" plastic storage bins and my complete toolbox. Then I can leave the thermarest and sleeping bag etc always set up. The other 1/2 of the cargo can hold taller stuff (water jugs and large tote with a bunch of cooking/camping stuff).

Set up like this, I can access the storage bins for food, cooking/eating gear easily and just slip them back in when done. Bed is always ready, so taking a quick nap after a hike is just a matter of laying down.

So, a few hours a day and I'm nearly done. The goal was to make it light enough that I can man handle it into the back of the 80 myself and pull it out too (to store it). 1/2 ply with laminated to 1" ply for legs and some braces etc.

The ply is cut to 6' in length and fits nicely from the tailgate to the back of the front passenger seat even with the seat fully set back. I'm maybe 5'10" in my decrepitude of later life, so 6' is plenty good.

A few pics as it was being assembled and a test deployment prior to some tweaks and a couple of coats of hunter green paint to set the 'atmosphere'.

bed_2.jpg

Test fit and one plastic tote for proof of concept :)

The back legs aren't braced yet. They are inset from the back edge so the shovel handle can fit along the back and room for other things like taller ham antenna etc.

bed_1.jpg

bed_3.jpg

Should be done tomorrow (famous last words) and then I'll fit it in for the trip. I plan to tie the front end down with a couple of bent metal brackets and use 2 of the 2nd row passenger seat mounting bolts (now that the seat is out).

cheers,
george.

Travelling with an always-made bed is the way to go!

CampPic009.JPG

Color sampling with hand brush.

Toyota FJ cruiser blue
Toyota Olive Light
Toyota Light green

They are all good.
Hard to choose 1

Please kindly reply me if you have photos of 80s with these color

Thank you

View attachment 2941076

Someone has done a blue similar to this one, Calvary blue on a LC. LC came in that tan color or something really close but that green maybe too much on a larger rig like the LC.

If it was me I would go with the tan/brown.

But I just noticed you are on a totally different continent so do the blue!!!

Color sampling with hand brush.

Toyota FJ cruiser blue
Toyota Olive Light
Toyota Light green

They are all good.
Hard to choose 1

Please kindly reply me if you have photos of 80s with these color

Thank you

View attachment 2941076
Just keep alternating all three until the whole rig is covered like a big Toyota pride flag!

Kidding ...All three are nice, but if you plan to keep the blue/gray interior, the blue would work best IMHO.

I vote blue

Got the bed platform finished and installed.

Separate front storage 'pocket' with one of the 24x16" bins slipped in. Room for some 'soft' stuff either in front or behind.

Thermarest sitting on the platform ready for testing.

bed_4.jpg

Two steel brackets secure it down using 2 of the seat mounting bolts. Easy to access and I put rivnuts on the top 2 bolt locations.

bed_5.jpg

Easy access to the rear passenger door and it's actually pretty easy to get out that way too.

bed_6.jpg

Tailgate all closed up and bed ready.

bed_7.jpg

bed_8.jpg

Just need a pillow and ready for a nap :)

I've ordered a cheap closed cell pad (same LxW as the thermarest air) and will put that as and extra layer between the platform and thermarest. Bit more comfort and I already had the thermarest so no point investing in a new mattress. And an emergency backup if the thermarest fails for any reason :)

cheers,
george.

Added a dash ornament! ;) A little industrial outdoor Velcro on the wheels holds it tight to the dash mat and is barely noticeable.
View attachment 2932844
View attachment 2932846

Also repainted the wiper arms. One turned out well (pictured). The other looks like :poop: up close (user error, rushing the paint job), so at some point I'll sand and repaint that one. But at least it's protected and won't continue to rust.
View attachment 2932851
View attachment 2932854
Which dash pad is that? Looking for something like that to cover my cracked one.

Got started on some electrical projects Ive been waiting for.
First I swap the old fuse panel I have at the driver's footwell to a different panel that allows me to tap into ignition power and always hot power. No interference with pedals.
Photo Mar 02, 10 14 56.jpg

Then I wired and install the Witsend ashtray switch plate, that thing is awesome!

Photo Mar 02, 09 43 06.jpg

Now for the main event, I just received my Bussmann relay box! I got it from a vendor on EBay, and so far, it looks and feels very high quality.

Photo Feb 28, 14 35 42.jpg
Photo Feb 28, 14 37 21.jpg

I never built a mount for anything before, and after spending the better part of today trying to put something together, I really want to learn some CAD so I can just send this to get CNC cut somewhere :p
It is not much, but it is honest work.
Im hoping to finish it to a usable form this weekend. Wish me luck! And this is definitely getting redesign
Photo Mar 02, 16 53 54.jpg

First I swap the old fuse panel I have at the driver's footwell to a different panel that allows me to tap into ignition power and always hot power. No interference with pedals.
View attachment 2941799

Then I wired and install the Witsend ashtray switch plate, that thing is awesome!

View attachment 2941803

Now for the main event, I just received my Bussmann relay box! I got it from a vendor on EBay, and so far, it looks and feels very high quality.

View attachment 2941804 View attachment 2941805

I never built a mount for anything before, and after spending the better part of today trying to put something together, I really want to learn some CAD so I can just send this to get CNC cut somewhere :p
It is not much, but it is honest work.
Im hoping to finish it to a usable form this weekend. Wish me luck! And this is definitely getting redesign
View attachment 2941807
Download the "hobbiest" version of Fusion360, watch a few YouTube videos and you'll get the basics quickly. If you have any questions or drawings/dimensions you want designed feel free to PM me I'll see if I can assist. Looks like it's going to be a clean setup.

I love this idea. I am going to try to do something like this when I get a chance. Cleaning up wires may be my new hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom