What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (87 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One could use the factory hold down but an unsafe hold down in my opinion. I use a much safer mount that goes the other way and does not tear into the battery box or run the risk of shorting out.

The mo better hold down system shown in the picture below will be offered at Land Cruiser Products in the next couple of weeks.:clap:

img_9540-1-jpg.1476318
:hmm:

I made screened, louvered, air vents to use when sleeping in El Guapo in warmer (and potentially wet) weather.

FplkUeB.jpg

PNWyEUh.jpg

Right before I went camping/riding last weekend, I saw a YouTube video where a guy made something similar for his van. I had already made window screens, but I had to use a tarp two nights in a row because of the threat of rain.

Oz5o9Wh.jpg

So, yesterday I took a stab at making my own. The panels are corrugated plastic (think nice yard sign material). I cut them to cover the entire window, for privacy and light blockage. Tools: utility knife; Gorilla tape (black and clear); yardstick. I also repurposed (for a 2nd time) the screen and magnets from our old Magic Mesh screen door.

I left them on the LC all last night and today, just to see if they would stay. They did. And, we also had a light shower before I got home this evening. The next test will be to sit inside with the windows down while it's raining and see if there's any leakage. If so, I may have to get fancy and (try to) cut them to fit into the window track.

UPDATE:

We just had an afternoon shower that lasted about an hour. The rainfall was moderate to heavy with gusty winds; my LC was in the driveway without any type of cover. The panels stayed on, and there were only a couple of small drops of water inside each window. (I think those drops hit the top of the bottom louver and bounced in through the screen of the top louver.) I'm calling that a successful test!

BC4C8296-01E9-4D93-BC4E-0EE2D2D838CA.jpeg
93109F55-BFAD-4124-8F95-4DC3EA7EDE28.jpeg
After taking delivery of my LX last weekend, I got around to removing the stock running boards and rear hitch in prep for sliders.

Also replaced the washer valve bc my rear washer would activate my front spray. Super easy.

Lastly, I serviced both front and rear diffs with synthetic 75-90 gear oil. A ton of crap in the oil and it was very dark, almost like moly grease. While I was there I replaced the stock fill and drain bolts with A Witt’s End drain and fill plugs. Nice new parts!

Here are the after shots of the running boards removed.

Went down to Disney, OK - didn’t get any pictures of the big stuff. But we did plenty of it. Saw a sweet FJ at the nearest gas station fueling up before hitting the rocks.

View attachment 1720211

View attachment 1720213

View attachment 1720214

View attachment 1720215

View attachment 1720216

For clarification: that is a modified 40 Series. That is NOT an “FJ”. You’re likely to get throat punched by a 40 owner if you call their rig a “FJ”.

For the record: this is an “FJ”. And “FJs” are lame. They also are not Land Cruisers.

2E1672A8-24B5-47A2-A312-22D04DEFEC2E.jpeg

L
For clarification: that is a modified 40 Series. That is NOT an “FJ”. You’re likely to get throat punched by a 40 owner if you call their rig a “FJ”.

For the record: this is an “FJ”. And “FJs” are lame. They also are not Land Cruisers.

View attachment 1720520
Love this I absolutely hate it when someone refers to a Landcruiser as an FJ

OEM radiator 1 yr old busted at the top plastic tank seam on my 96 80. Luckily caught it on the driveway. Read on Mud. Seems OEM radiators are done by others these days. Hate plastic on any radiators. Went with CSF 2517 all metal radiator. Top and bottom pans all metal. Soldered. Not glued. Took it for a test run. Nice steady mid gauge readings on the idiot gauge. Boys got at it with me.

View attachment 1719558

View attachment 1719559

View attachment 1719560

View attachment 1719561

View attachment 1719562
I might be getting one for mine too. My brother just told me its leaking at the seam on the bottom. He borrowed my truck because his suburban needs a rebuild, its getting low oil pressure. Now this happens to my cruiser. At least he is able to swap the radiator on mine tomorrow and keep using it. So I guess I am buying the radiator and the beer.

My brother just told me its leaking.... He borrowed my truck.... So I guess I am buying the radiator and the beer.

Streamlined the thought process for you... HE broke your truck so HE should buy the radiator, and then buy you a beer for the hassle :).

7430CD12-A3AD-4E54-8450-061A7D39CCAF.jpeg
1584FA73-C0FE-4607-A24B-7265608FCA83.jpeg
B4FD5441-012B-4C83-919D-DFA653E14975.jpeg

Me and my buddy just went through the con this past weekend. And boy was it fun in the 80!

If you want to drive through the rubicon as nature intended it to run it before the Jeep jamboree as they turn it into a freeway.

Streamlined the thought process for you... HE broke your truck so HE should buy the radiator, and then buy you a beer for the hassle :).
Radiator failed while he was driving it, I will purchase the upgrade. At least the old one with plastic tanks lasted 1.5 years. If he wrecked the truck that would be different. Besides I am in Canada having beer already.
20180610_174213.jpg

Returned home from a 15 day road trip, of which 13 were spent in the FZJ80. Covered about 7,500 miles from California to Boston and back, spending one leg with my wife , one with my younger daughter and the bulk with my recent college grad!

Leaving Boston loaded to the top:
EDCBDF1A-2F1F-4320-9060-ACC6FD7484DA.jpeg

Badlands:
AC491E1B-FE28-47C8-B84F-43B7CC7C7069.jpeg

CC781489-2C8D-411D-87BE-FBB28CDD4281.jpeg

Home with just some of the stuff we hauled back:
76CA1A7F-A032-41C3-94D0-EDDD9346FD1B.jpeg

An unbelievable experience.

Returned home from a 15 day road trip, of which 13 were spent in the FZJ80. Covered about 7,500 miles from California to Boston and back, spending one leg with my wife , one with my younger daughter and the bulk with my recent college grad!

Leaving Boston loaded to the top:
View attachment 1720736

Badlands:
View attachment 1720737

View attachment 1720738

Home with just some of the stuff we hauled back:
View attachment 1720735

An unbelievable experience.

That is so cool! My son is 5 and daughter is less than a year old, I’m really looking forward to do similar road trips with the kids soon.....although probably a little shorter.

That is so cool! My son is 5 and daughter is less than a year old, I’m really looking forward to do similar road trips with the kids soon.....although probably a little shorter.

The time will pass before you know it. I did 2,500 miles in January with my younger daughter (she is going to be a junior in college) and it was a blast. My older suggested the road trip from college about 9 months ago and I knew I had to make it happen.

Enjoy every minute while they are young.

The time will pass before you know it. I did 2,500 miles in January with my younger daughter (she is going to be a junior in college) and it was a blast. My older suggested the road trip from college about 9 months ago and I knew I had to make it happen.

Enjoy every minute while they are young.

Yes, time sure flies! I miss my son in his chubby little 1 year old form sooooo much! Good thing my daughter makes up for it and then some, but she is our last one so enjoying as much of it as we can!

I completed the "Trans New Hampshire Expedition" with Exploring NH last weekend. We did over 300 miles, starting at the Canadian border and ending at the sea coast along the Massachusetts border. I still need to go through all the pictures, but got a video from of friend of me playing a little on some rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom