What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (71 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Long views, Great Basin - remote - accessed by 80 series. Re-post from AZ forum.

IMG_8118-1.jpg
IMG_8381-1.jpg
IMG_8810-1.jpg
IMG_8837-1.jpg

This just happened!...fly fishing on middlefork, flows were a bit to high for good fishing but I still hooked up a few small bows ;)

Beautiful and relaxing....

007.JPG

014.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

024.JPG

The 3 gallon oil change and new air filter, and I was successful at stopping the hood lift

Made a trip to DC recently and got a chance to visit Land Cruiser Heaven in Hagerstown, MD. I've known Frank (@FloridaFJ80 ) for a couple of years and now have the opportunity to leave my baby with them. Right off the bat they began to diagnose a driveline "groan" I've had for months which numerous shops have scratched their heads over. Meanwhile I drooled over the yard of 40s, 43s, 60s, 70s and 80s. If you find yourself in the area I recommend stopping through. Looking forward to the progress and great to have my truck in capable hands...

View attachment 1705501

View attachment 1705502

View attachment 1705503

What was the cause of your driveline groan??

Trying to get ready for the weekend!

Got the fronts in, hopefully tomorrow I can get the rear put in. Found my passenger side bearing is loose...that should be quick though.

View attachment 1706267

Where did you buy the Kings? Did you get them custom valved or off the shelf valving? Are you going to use hose clamps for the reservoirs?

Where did you buy the Kings? Did you get them custom valved or off the shelf valving? Are you going to use hose clamps for the reservoirs?

Just called kings direct, they have 80 specific 2.5 with their Euro valving heavy...I think. Price isn’t really all that different than any other 2.5 except with just a little more money you can really trick them out, sky is the limit but I went for tried and true....and cheapest.

Yes I will switch to hose clamp soon, I didn’t realized I didn’t have the right hose clamps.

What was the cause of your driveline groan??

We don't know for sure, since they haven't gotten into the front axle yet, but first guesses were a loose or compromised bearing or another part in the birfs. They put the front end on jack stands and 3 people together manipulated the front right tire, front left tire, and driveshaft checking for gaps, play, or unusual noises. There is a bit more play than there should be.

It was an elusive symptom, occasional groan I'd hear or sense under load, seeming to come from front right birf or axle, sometimes but not always. When I'd bring it to a shop and go for a drive it would disappear, then return as soon as I pulled away(!). Could just be Landcruiser-itis, ocd worsening : )

Frank's guys seemed to perk up after detecting some wheel play. I'll update when I hear from them, they're just getting into it this week.

Got her back from re-spray. All in all turned out pretty decent considering I wasn't going high dollar on it. Couple of spots that have to be fixed yet but that won't happen for a couple of weeks. The color looks even better than I could imagine, even made me think I wish I had found my 100 in green.

Before:
IMG_5824.jpg

After:
IMG_5891.jpg
IMG_5893.jpg
IMG_5894.jpg

Got her back from re-spray. All in all turned out pretty decent considering I wasn't going high dollar on it. Couple of spots that have to be fixed yet but that won't happen for a couple of weeks. The color looks even better than I could imagine, even made me think I wish I had found my 100 in green.

What all did this entail? Knocking off as much clear coat and just spraying over? I’m assuming so since you said you weren’t going high dollar on it. Mine was repainted by the previous owner as a DIY and has some serious clear coat runs, I’d like to wet sand it and clear coat back over those panels

What all did this entail? Knocking off as much clear coat and just spraying over? I’m assuming so since you said you weren’t going high dollar on it. Mine was repainted by the previous owner as a DIY and has some serious clear coat runs, I’d like to wet sand it and clear coat back over those panels

I landed about middle of the road, not full blown strip and body work but had holes patched and some minor body work done as part of it. Definitely a respray with some imperfections but a bit better than just knocking down the clear and spraying over

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom