What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (52 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How'd you re-seal the 3rd's to axle? I'm thinking about taking the belt and suspenders type approach and use the paper gasket with FIPG. Zuk mentioned just using the paper gasket. My truck only had that on there, but I really don't want to be tearing back into this anytime again soon. Want to ensure it will not leak. Any other advice welcomed.
I just used the supplied paper gasket with the nitro kit :meh:

We could have done these locally

Who do you recommend? I know there's plenty of shops locally, but I've been a "fan" of Zuk for about 20 years and trust him I guess.

. Unless you've had a Brazilian wax, I don't think you are qualified to make that comparison!
I "had" a Brazilian wax last weekend. I think that makes me qualified.......... :smokin:

Who do you recommend? I know there's plenty of shops locally, but I've been a "fan" of Zuk for about 20 years and trust him I guess.
Zuk is very reliable. I installed mine in my driveway with help from guys in the Beach N’ Toys club. Easily over 200 years experience in the club, we make it work.

Installed ARB bumper and ENGO SR12 on Elsie.
upload_2017-12-4_19-38-57.png
upload_2017-12-4_19-38-57.png

upload_2017-12-4_19-40-26.png

upload_2017-12-4_19-40-57.png

Please don’t post any pics :eek:
Reading that post in the literal sense would have you believing that I actually got waxed..................

I'd use one or the other, but not both. In my experience, using FIPG with a gasket just allows the gasket to squish out when tightening bolts. No bueno.

I prefer to use just FIPG. Permatex "The Right Stuff" works great.

I agree 100% on this. I've gone through i don't know how many paper gaskets and i always seem to get a leak. I am speculating that either a small tap of the diff on a rock will loosen it up or maybe just the work of the gears, driveshafts and all the forces involved with wheeling could also loosen it up... and it leaks.

With the FIPG i've never had that problem. I put a good amount on, let it sit for like 10 minutes and then bolt down the flange.

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
I agree 100% on this. I've gone through i don't know how many paper gaskets and i always seem to get a leak. I am speculating that either a small tap of the diff on a rock will loosen it up or maybe just the work of the gears, driveshafts and all the forces involved with wheeling could also loosen it up... and it leaks.

With the FIPG i've never had that problem. I put a good amount on, let it sit for like 10 minutes and then bolt down the flange.

Most people will put the FIPG on and bolt everything together and be done. That’s what causes leaks.
The right way is to put the fipg on and barely snug it down and then let it set up in order to make an actual gasket. Then, tighten everything up.

How'd you re-seal the 3rd's to axle? I'm thinking about taking the belt and suspenders type approach and use the paper gasket with FIPG. Zuk mentioned just using the paper gasket. My truck only had that on there, but I really don't want to be tearing back into this anytime again soon. Want to ensure it will not leak. Any other advice welcomed.

Yeah, mine had the factory seal with the paper gasket. I went with the red toyota FIPG for trans axle parts (Toyota part # 00295-01281)
I'm sure permatex or any other quality RTV is fine. Just ran a bead, let it set up a little and then bench pressed those heavy mf'ers on!

From what I've read the RTV will flex a little and not leak if you smash your diff against a rock or something and it looked like more people had leaks using the paper gasket vs. RTV.

I would advise having some help with the reinstall, if possible. I didn't line up the rear right on the first attempt and having that diff sitting on your chest makes it hard to breathe.

Reading that post in the literal sense would have @Dragos80 believing that I actually got waxed and wanting a picture as proof..................
FIFY

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom