What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I tried searching for the trail gear nut. Which is it or is it just a standard two lock nut deal?

If you've ever tore into the rear, it's the same design. Not sure why MrT opted for the locking tabs double nut on the front...

-A

Here you go:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1452724576.828316.jpg

https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Chromoly_Spindle_Nut_Kit__Toyota_/i_0_0_/_300519-KIT.aspx#.VpbRD6876K0

If you've ever tore into the rear, it's the same design. Not sure why MrT opted for the locking tabs double nut on the front...

-A
Sweet! I was actually wondering why the fronts were double nuts and the rear seemed to have the better design. I will have to look into that next time I dive in there. Thanks @AMMO

I guess I need to order a pair of these for when I get around to doing my knuckles...

Early weekend I suppose but just wrapped up a brake sys flush and transmission fluid exchange via the Rodney method described in the FAQ by snocruiser.
image.jpeg

Added some $7 bling for the crumbling steering wheel
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

New front shocks by Rob's Magic in Nairobi.
Ripped off the aluminum running boards and replaced with steel sliders and fender bars (not sure I like the fender bars).
Replaced rusted wheel well sections with new steel.
Added fuel.
Drove along the coast.
Checked bank account.
Winced.

bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

Finish building my custom front bumper, left it closed until I can buy a winch! I just primed and spray painted it until I can afford powdercoat. Next mission... Front axel rebuild, lift and tires.

View attachment 1191828
View attachment 1191829
Finish building my custom front bumper, left it closed until I can buy a winch! I just primed and spray painted it until I can afford powdercoat. Next mission... Front axel rebuild, lift and tires.
I speak from experience, those anchor points on the bottom are going to get hammered & weakened. That's if you do any rock crawling.

I tried searching for the trail gear nut. Which is it or is it just a standard two lock nut deal?

TG chromoly spindle nut. I had doubts that it would work any better than the Toyota design, but turns out it's actually better IMO. I've had a helluva time keeping my preload set with the original, but after 2K or so miles with the TG...everything's solid. Now I gotta take the fawkers off again to install my locker! :doh:

DSC_2497_zpsnn7lhugz.jpg

Not the weekend but used the 80 and my 52 in. lightbar to help the fire department and police with this accident. Little old lady fell asleep and came over a curb and turned over 8 ft of a light pole into splinters. Cars totalled, power outage but lady is fine and walked out of the car under her own power.
20160114_202334.jpg

Made for Lexus LX450s

Since the start of my last semester of college, she has been my tow truck.... Finally, the UP has good snow again!!! View attachment 1191988

How does it pull a double trailer? My double has a big salt shield and pulls like a parachute! I haven't had a chance to try with my 80 yet, but even the wife's GX470 struggled to stay in OD above 105km/h (65mph), I think partially due to the bigger tires effect on the gearing, ends up hunting for gears above that speed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom