What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not weekend, more like Tuesday/Wed/Thursday/Friday - removed a leaking (under side of the upper intake) radiator, waited a day for the shop to repair it, waited a day for better weather and to recuperate from spinal injections...hope to compete the install tomorrow.

Not weekend, more like Tuesday/Wed/Thursday/Friday - removed a leaking (under side of the upper intake) radiator, waited a day for the shop to repair it, waited a day for better weather and to recuperate from spinal injections...hope to compete the install tomorrow.
Patience vs will. Things go better when the timing is right. I hate waiting when I'm ready to get it done.

So with wife out of town for a few days I planned to hunt every night she was gone. I notice a belt squeal and thought it might be the pulley added when I did the desmog as I know it needs to be replaced. I grabbed some belt lube and spray lube and popped the hood and notice the front belt was pretty loose. Upon further inspection I realized that the alternator was hanging on by one bolt. This was about an hour before I was supposed to leave. I loosened the one bolt and pulled it as tight as I could and really tightened the one bolt. To keep it from shifting I opened my redneck toolbox and reached past the duct tape and grabbed a couple of very large zip ties. These are about 3 feet long and I can list several other times where thees have saved me. Anyway, It held and got me through a successful night. Turns out two of the bolts were broke off into the back of the alternator. Quick fix and used grade 8 this time vs grade 5. I notice the alternator is putting out a lot more power now that it is tight.

FJ60Alternator.jpg

FJ60Boar3.16.21.jpg

FJ60Hams.jpg

Got mine running, inspected and tags renewed after it sat for around 7 years, still have some bugs to work out but got drivable just in time for LSLC Roundup

A54C1D86-E589-4849-90CF-07B3B8E1D8D8.jpeg

64D0B20F-DDF6-4421-B7C5-5613581303C8.jpeg

Not a weekend repair but have pulled off the front drive shaft yesterday to replace the U-joints as they were positioned incorrectly by PO (zerks located in a position I can't lube easily). Re-installed it to find out I re-installed it incorrectly again .... lol. Spent another 3 hours getting everything situated correctly.

Rear driveshaft gets new u-joints tonight!

File_000.jpeg

Not a weekend repair but have pulled off the front drive shaft yesterday to replace the U-joints as they were positioned incorrectly by PO (zerks located in a position I can't lube easily). Re-installed it to find out I re-installed it incorrectly again .... lol. Spent another 3 hours getting everything situated correctly.

Rear driveshaft gets new u-joints tonight!

View attachment 2618329
Where are you in OC? I'm around Los Alamitos-Downey area.

Nothing exciting but fixed my headlights wire off the fusible link had broken off.
Adjusted steering box a bit hopefully it's a bit better to drive.
Then found that one of my studs in the rear axle is sheared off which sux its been seeping since the shop replaced the axle seal and rear brakes. Fun with easy out coming next weekend.

So with wife out of town for a few days I planned to hunt every night she was gone. I notice a belt squeal and thought it might be the pulley added when I did the desmog as I know it needs to be replaced. I grabbed some belt lube and spray lube and popped the hood and notice the front belt was pretty loose. Upon further inspection I realized that the alternator was hanging on by one bolt. This was about an hour before I was supposed to leave. I loosened the one bolt and pulled it as tight as I could and really tightened the one bolt. To keep it from shifting I opened my redneck toolbox and reached past the duct tape and grabbed a couple of very large zip ties. These are about 3 feet long and I can list several other times where thees have saved me. Anyway, It held and got me through a successful night. Turns out two of the bolts were broke off into the back of the alternator. Quick fix and used grade 8 this time vs grade 5. I notice the alternator is putting out a lot more power now that it is tight.

View attachment 2617929
View attachment 2617930
View attachment 2617931

Livin' high on the hog I see😛

Winter seems to have left Northern MI and I pulled the 60 out of storage. I realized after two round trips to CO last summer that I needed to tighten up the suspension. The creaks and groans coming through Ophir Pass from my suspension were disconcerting. Bushings were shot. Leafs sagging..... It was a older OME and it had seen better days. I ordered a full Heavy kit from Cruiser Outfitters - front and rear leaf springs, Nitrocharger front and rear shocks, bushings, front and rear greassable shackles, steering damper, extended swaybar endlinks and nuts/bolts/hardware.

They were great to deal with and super responsive. Shipped the whole pallet straight to a friends house who has a garage and a lift. it’s a world of difference driving. While he had it in the lift, also did all the drivetrain fluids - front and rear diff, transfer case and manual tranny.

Next on the list before this summer trip out west is seats. They are original. Back to back 16 hour days on the way out and back are brutal on the low back. I need to get something w/lumbar support for those long days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom