What Did You Do With Your 120 Today? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Went up to Caruthers lake in Montana. Tested out sliders and stock skids.

379F838B-4F93-457E-A1D7-4A55B39BB350.jpeg

05F59472-39AC-4D57-AE2C-40D5ED4B46F4.jpeg

037655F4-5320-4E38-BC25-5FE179726A30.jpeg

4B6C794E-00EE-4E9D-A637-C792F7A699FF.jpeg

E9431177-37D1-4D3E-9218-FB1074FFEA54.jpeg

is this the biggest battery that will fit in the stock location without modification? i noticed people using Odyssey 34R-PC1500t

I'm not sure if something bigger is available. I know there's not much more room between the radiator hose and the fender for anything bigger - maybe 1/4".

Height wise you could go about 3/4" taller if you had an aftermarket battery tie down.

Width, there's about an inch of space available.

For me, a group 31 is as big as I would try to go. If i wanted something larger, I'd start looking into a dual battery setup.

I plan to eventually go to a dual setup using the 31 as a house battery and something smaller/lighter as my secondary.

I'll go that route after deleting my secondary air pump system.

I'm not sure if something bigger is available. I know there's not much more room between the radiator hose and the fender for anything bigger - maybe 1/4".

Height wise you could go about 3/4" taller if you had an aftermarket battery tie down.

Width, there's about an inch of space available.

For me, a group 31 is as big as I would try to go. If i wanted something larger, I'd start looking into a dual battery setup.

I plan to eventually go to a dual setup using the 31 as a house battery and something smaller/lighter as my secondary.

I'll go that route after deleting my secondary air pump system.

thanks for the info. Did you have to modify the battery tray or the stock cables, or anything for it to fit? I am nearing the life of my battery.

There's a 90* bend in the positive cable: I had to bend that straight.

I also had to drill a hole in the fender to relocate the ground cable that bolts to the fender with a 10mm bolt.

I could have solved both problems by extending the cables. The reason I went the way I did is because I'm in the process of building custom battery cables.

When I had my jeep I fabbed battery cables out of welding wire. I'm doing the same for the GX. I'm using 0 and 5 gauge cable and military style bolt connectors. I'll heat shrink and crimp all connevtions. They'll be a bit more efficient but mostly more flexible snd durable than the factory cables.

You can 100% safely run the batttery the way I have it now though.

There's a 90* bend in the positive cable: I had to bend that straight.

I also had to drill a hole in the fender to relocate the ground cable that bolts to the fender with a 10mm bolt.

I could have solved both problems by extending the cables. The reason I went the way I did is because I'm in the process of building custom battery cables.

When I had my jeep I fabbed battery cables out of welding wire. I'm doing the same for the GX. I'm using 0 and 5 gauge cable and military style bolt connectors. I'll heat shrink and crimp all connevtions. They'll be a bit more efficient but mostly more flexible snd durable than the factory cables.

You can 100% safely run the batttery the way I have it now though.

Must be nice to be inclined on the matter as you. Since i have time, i am considering getting the extension for the cables. if you were to get the extensions, which one would you consider picking up?

Well, a new-ish hobby has grown to making dyneema recovery items. I also see that hi-viz green is hard on a phone camera, but that is another story. I am really impressed how simple and easy this is, but I think I have to give credit to an aged mariner teaching me splicing and stitching methods. What do you guys think?

IMG_7848.jpg

Here we have two soft shackles, a 6' bridle to help spread the load recovery points, and a 25' pull with floating abrasion guards.

I did the same thing I posted in my build thread. Seattle Marine has the best AmSteel blue prices I could find. The guy I talked to at Seattle Marine was helpful in pointing me to some of those and talking though different appropriate splices. I figured if they are supporting commercial fishing boats, they probably know there stuff.

I am happy my splices held up to some very hard pulls. Soft shackles are kinda cool as well but there are many variations, some stronger than others. Get some heat protection for the wrap on the drum.

I would be careful with a 6' bridle as you describe, it will put a lateral load between anchor points. Be sure of reinforcement you have, or if you use it on someone else to recover them.

All that said, doing this on your own is fun and cool and not too hard. Plenty of youtube videos, even from manufacturers.

Please report back your impressions.

By the way, I need to order one of your antenna mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom