What did you do to your pig today? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

working on the pig [:)

Installed:
Cross over steering. Been in the garage for a couple of years. It uses fj80 tie rod ends. I had the stock welded arms on for several years.

Had this master cylinder for some time also. Finally putting it in with new brake lines. Got the brake lines at Napa and Autozone. ~$5 per line. Yes, they are metric lines.

Put a couple of ghetto halogen lights on the front bumper. I bought this bumper several years back for $150 [:). It has the tabs for 2 sets of lights. Got a set of cheap Wal-Mart teacup lights that match the big fog lights already on. Yea, they are mostly for show. Don't know if they will actaully be functional?
cross over steerng.JPG
master.jpg
winch-lights.jpg

Last edited:
Two more small patches to seal up the cab. It's not completely sealed up though. There's small pin holes etc that I'm going to over with por-15 and then seam sealer and possibly some fiberglass before doing the bed in herculiner. I'm also gonna go over some welds one more time, especially for the rear window. I know it's in there, but I'd feel a lot more secure going it over again.

What master cylinder is that?

IIRC, 1994 Toyota Pickup. Readily available. I have the same master on my 40 with 4W disks and 37" MTRs. Stops on a dime.........quarter ;p

redid the knuckles 3 weeks ago. New trunnion bearings, set to spec. repacked and adjusted wheel bearings. Drove it, it still had a slight wobble.

Today, pulled the wheels, re-adjusted the trunnion bearings a little tighter, snugged the wheel bearings a little tighter. Fixed the problem.

Did 60 freeway miles at 65-70mph, no shudder or wobble whatsoever.

Am fabbing a winch mount for it. Looked at the 69 dood thread and am doing something similar.

Painted the inside with two coats of por-15. I gonna spray into the little nooks and crannies as well, because I don't know if I got everywhere with the brush. I'm also gonna spray in lps as well, especially to the areas between the seams etc. Tomorrow, I'm laying down sound deadening which I got from second skin. I'm also going over all that with their brush on product as well. I hope it helps quiet the piggie down. Once that's dry, the seats are going in, and then I'm gonna exercise her a bit barring any rainstorms.

took it off road for the first time today. Played in the sand. climbed a few steep grades. checking it out for hunting season which is coming up quickly.

Painted the roof with POR-15. Couldn't do the sound deadener today because I had to replace the clutch and rear main seal of my FJ60. I jacked it up last time pounding it in I guess. I hope I did this one right. I thought I was gonna be able to do it in one afternoon. I almost did, but I couldn't stab the transmission back in and then it started sliding off the jack, so I decided to try again tomorrow.

redid the knuckles 3 weeks ago. New trunnion bearings, set to spec. repacked and adjusted wheel bearings. Drove it, it still had a slight wobble.

Today, pulled the wheels, re-adjusted the trunnion bearings a little tighter, snugged the wheel bearings a little tighter. Fixed the problem.

Did 60 freeway miles at 65-70mph, no shudder or wobble whatsoever.

Am fabbing a winch mount for it. Looked at the 69 dood thread and am doing something similar.

Did you do the wheel bearing separately from the trunions, or do them both together?

Just wondering if you attempted to isolate variables?

I have a slight shimmy in my front end, and I think I am down to wheel bearings or trunions.

I was thinking I would try wheel bearings first, thus I was curious if you did wheel bearings first.

How did you tighten up trunions? Pull shims out of the top? Did you measure pre-load on the trunions?

TIA

finished cleaning off the 62 axle for the front of the pickle
DSC02657.JPG

Did you do the wheel bearing separately from the trunions, or do them both together?

Just wondering if you attempted to isolate variables?

I have a slight shimmy in my front end, and I think I am down to wheel bearings or trunions.

I was thinking I would try wheel bearings first, thus I was curious if you did wheel bearings first.

How did you tighten up trunions? Pull shims out of the top? Did you measure pre-load on the trunions?

TIA

I first did the wheel bearings, hoping for an easy fix. It didn't fix it. When jacked up, I still had vertical play in the wheels, so then I decided to do the dirty job (and it is dirty).

I used the same shims, preloaded with the fish scale, and put it back together. After a couple weeks of driving, I still had some wobble. When I put it up on jacks again, I had the vertical play in the wheels, though not nearly as much as before. I pulled the front end apart, and the trunnions had loosened up a bit so I retorqued the upper and lower knuckle bolts to get the proper pull with the scale, and put it back together.

I probably could have gotten by with just a partial turn on the knuckle bolts without tearing it apart.

put the carb back on yesterday after rebuilding it, but it only starts after pouring gas in the carb. :doh:
fuel sight is half full.
looks like something didn't turn out right. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom