Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been tearing apart the Troopy's AC system to clean it, flush it, and convert it to R134a...
127acout.jpg

135components.jpg

121flush.jpg

Was R12 still available in the Middle East? O see a couple of Tee fittings, does it have rear air?

R12 still available on a limited basis... similar to here. You gotta hunt for it, and pay a premium, but it's out there. Converting to R134a is not that challenging actually AND it makes it far more DIY friendly for future work on the truck.

It does have rear air. Not the factory version, though that was an option on this truck. They installed an aftermarket evaporator and blower assembly to blow into the back... as well as the t'd fittings to both high pressure and low pressure and an additional condensor and electric fan.

It all worked really well when I first bought it. We had to discharge it to replace the front radiator core support.

Was R12 still available in the Middle East? O see a couple of Tee fittings, does it have rear air?

You changed your avatar!! I didn't recognize your posts in another thread. :rofl:

R12 still available on a limited basis... similar to here. You gotta hunt for it, and pay a premium, but it's out there. Converting to R134a is not that challenging actually AND it makes it far more DIY friendly for future work on the truck.

It does have rear air. Not the factory version, though that was an option on this truck. They installed an aftermarket evaporator and blower assembly to blow into the back... as well as the t'd fittings to both high pressure and low pressure and an additional condensor and electric fan.

It all worked really well when I first bought it. We had to discharge it to replace the front radiator core support.
just wait in a couple of years 134 won't even be available to purchase. 1234yf is already becoming the factory standard, basically DIY a/c work is very quickly becoming a thing of the past.

just wait in a couple of years 134 won't even be available to purchase. 1234yf is already becoming the factory standard, basically DIY a/c work is very quickly becoming a thing of the past.
Ah... quit raining on my parade!! ;)

Ah... quit raining on my parade!! ;)

Had no plans on changing my FJ62 to R134A but now I wondering if I need to pick up the stuff to switch to R134A. Have more of that than R12. Talking to a repairman at a neighbor's home he said 410A was already going to be phased out. Wonder what the replacement for that will be? When Dupont's royalties ran out on "FREON" is when all the troubles started. :hmm:

Had no plans on changing my FJ62 to R134A but now I wondering if I need to pick up the stuff to switch to R134A. Have more of that than R12. Talking to a repairman at a neighbor's home he said 410A was already going to be phased out. Wonder what the replacement for that will be? When Dupont's royalties ran out on "FREON" is when all the troubles started. :hmm:

I put about $250 into equipment... a manifold gauge set, a vacuum pump, and a flushing apparatus. And I bought Mastercool brand stuff, not just cheapo. I've used the gauges and vacuum pump on my bro-in-laws AC and everything worked great.

Beyond that you'll need an expansion valve and new drier bottle. New oil and refrigerant is quite cheap.

It's been fun learning the ins and outs... and it's always fun learning to do things yourself.

Another 5VZ cam plug, 1/2 moon, valve cover seal. 1st time I have been into this one, looks like the P.O. did regular oil changes.
002.JPG

There is always something that is brittle with these, and the headbanging (and the "I should have included that with my CBT order) begins. It being a holiday weekend and the thought of driving all the way to Tucson bought on some expletives....
This time it was the pcv vent hose. So, I called one of my Buds at Merle's, he said "Nope dealer item", but here is the great part, he sent one of his runners to Precision Toyota and had it delivered to their Oro Valley store for my wife to pick up on the way home.
How cool is that? 👍

I've been tearing apart the Troopy's AC system to clean it, flush it, and convert it to R134a...
127acout.jpg

135components.jpg

121flush.jpg
Absolutely love the troopy! Thanks for posting.

I finally finished up my 1.5 weeks long ABS/LSPV delete. Along with deleting the ABS and LSPV I installed a new booster and master cylinder too.

So this morning before it got too hot here in AZ I went and bled the brakes on my Land Cruiser. I used the Mityvac MV8000 Vacuum/Bleeder from Harbor Freight. The bleeder made things so much easier than the two men method. The only thing that I had to do was make sure I stopped every so often to ensure I was not emptying out the reservoir. For peace of mind, I bleed the system a full 3 times to ensure that I was getting clean new fluid out of the bleeder screws.

The with the newish booster/master and deleting the LSPV and ABS pump the brakes are so much better now. Here in a few months, I will be replacing the axle to caliper lines with stainless steel lines. I have the frame to axle lines in now and I am sure that has helped the feeling in the pedal.

The Mityvac was a great purchase, it cost me $45 and came with a few attachments for bleeding and testing different vacuum parts on cars. It also came with some great reviews versus the 2 others available at Harbor Freight. One of the reviews I watched the gentleman mentioned that he had his for nearly 10 years.

Mini vintage run. Met up with my bud Pat out in Chino Valley Sunday am at Safeway. From there the four of us went out Perkinsville Rd by 318A to do the poweline climbs. Good group and all 40’s!

99D3A2E7-F072-4CAB-AD21-DCF4D7402F44.jpeg
68A842EC-85C8-4523-A49E-075F473AAD10.jpeg
91766362-C6CC-46DE-9DE1-F91564EAAF64.jpeg

I like the year...

The 77 is on all Historic Vehicle plates. I remember even though my 68 was first registered in November 67 I had to wait until January 93 to get the plates. Ran for a few years and then switched back to regular plates. Now going with old AZ and not paying the extra $25 a year. Now your 77 FJ40 would be correct. My 89 has never had any other plates. When I bought it in 93 the plates still stayed with the vehicle. The maroon plates were the first plate that didn't have a year stamped when they were introduced and weren't replaced when the next style came out.

The 77 is on all Historic Vehicle plates. I remember even though my 68 was first registered in November 67 I had to wait until January 93 to get the plates. Ran for a few years and then switched back to regular plates. Now going with old AZ and not paying the extra $25 a year. Now your 77 FJ40 would be correct. My 89 has never had any other plates. When I bought it in 93 the plates still stayed with the vehicle. The maroon plates were the first plate that didn't have a year stamped when they were introduced and weren't replaced when the next style came out.

The marroon was not a good color match for the vehicle:rainbow: so I splurged

I know there are a few 57 FJ25s floating around the country. Tim Hill had one years ago that came up from either Central America or South America. Toyota imported some 58s most of which were sold as 59s, but no 57s.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom