1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week?

Discussion in 'AZ- Copper State Cruisers' started by murf, Aug 19, 2013.

1. murf

murf Lifer Supporting Vendor SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Share your enthusiasm for your Land Cruiser / Toyota framed 4x4 and what youve done to it lately (or even in the past if you want) with other Cruiserheads ~ Big or small, mild to wild!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. Chuy

Chuy 07' GX470

Albums:
    Make it a sticky?

3. DSRTRDR

DSRTRDR I can mangle anything ... SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  4. medtro

medtro

Camelback Toyota tinted the windows. Thanks murf :cheers:.

[​IMG]

5. murf

Media:
    Albums:
    I drilled a hole and added a connector! :hillbilly:

Worked on an idea on using my windshield washer bottle as an additional reserve for the methanol fluid bottle for long trips in case I use alot and dont want to stop. Kinda like in-flight refueling :D. Since washer fluid is methanol-water anyway (but at around 10% meth vs water - injection mix is about 50%) it wont make any difference if I jump back and forth for how it is used.

I measured the flow rate out of the stock washer bottle and was pleasantly suprised. It takes 14 seconds to pump a quart.

A 9/32nd's hole was drilled on top of the cap and the now cut hose from the washer pump fit nice and snug through the top. The underside of the hood doesn't touch the loop to kink the hose (I checked first).

I put a straight through 1/8" barb to reconnect the washer line back to the ww nozzles for reconnecting the washer line. Also put black tape over the hole while the hose wasn't hooked up.

I will use this on the next big trip and see how it goes. At least I know when the red "low fluid level" light comes on, I can pump just shy of 3 quarts into the snow bottle and count off 40 seconds.

or two sessions of 20 seconds and rest in between :hillbilly:.

I then ran back into the house and cooled off - the garage was toasty!

DSC04930.jpg

Spamcheese likes this.
  6. Chuy

Chuy 07' GX470

Albums:
    Finally had the front end fixed new lower knuckle studs 2 of the 4 were broken :D

IMG_0527.jpg

7. Cruiserhiggs

Cruiserhiggs

Media:
    Albums:
    Not my Cruiser but I am in the process of putting a marlin crawler t case in my 4Runner with the 4.7:1 ratio in it. Pretty stoked

8. GeoRoss

GeoRoss

Great idea murf!

Well, since I've gotten back to the US I've done some small simple things.

I FINALLY replaced the rear hatch struts with the McMaster-Carr ones. The OEM ones have been useless for at least three years. Normally I just used some vice grips but forgot them when packing up for a family camping trip a few weeks ago. The hatch whacked me in the head three times after my :hillbilly: branch was knocked out of the way while unloading. The replacement is simple and easy. If I hadn't painted the OEM brackets I'd have been done in a couple of hours. Contrary to what some of the 80's tech threads say you do not need to compress them, just lift you hatch higher. Use the slim nuts and it fits perfectly after cutting the bolt.

I bought a new ice chest and it barely fit in the back with my half-drawer system. So I took out my :hillbilly: drawer system and slimmed it down. Sadly, my :hillbilly: drawer is a plastic under-bed tote and it no longer fit. Well, it went on a diet too. Removed the wheels, cut the tote's lip off and reenforced it with duct tape, added some 1/4" runners to the bottom of the box, waxed them and I'm good now. I'd post pictures, but I don't want to fill you guys with envy over my woodworking and :hillbilly: skills.

I picked up some new seat covers in China. Almost every car in China has some sort of seat cover. I work in Tibet where there are tons of Land Cruisers. The preferred seat cover is a woven wool. I need to take the back seat ones somewhere to get holes cut and bound for the seat belts. Ideally I'd like to have the rear seat cover split so I can fold down one side of the seats. Should be possible just finding the right person to do it.

[​IMG]

The next project is to clean up some used J springs for the back and swap them for the current 864's.

9. murf

Media:
    Albums:
    I was inspired from the 3 wheeled wonder ;)

10. Living in the Past

Living in the Past SILVER Star

Was this thread designed to punish me since you knew I traded my Land Cruiser and now driving a Sequoia?:bang:

Not sure what I'm going to do.:hmm: Get rid of many more and I'll be under a dozen.:hillbilly:

I am currently working on replacing the rear crossmember on a FJ25. ARB bumper and Harbor Freight winch just added lately to my FJ62. In the process of replacing the goofy round six pin trail light plug that I have on the FJ62 for the standard four pin. Only reason I installed the six pin was it matched what I had on my first FJ40. Funny back in the sixties and seventies that was the most common plug used. Always working on little things to bring my 70 FJ40 closer to stock. Hope to start a frame up on my 45 pretty soon.

11. DSRTRDR

Media:
    Albums:
  12. splitshot

splitshot Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Sent way too much work for Kurt to figure out, Non-usa carb cross reference into a usa kit. He went the extra mile and spread every kit he stocks on his desk to find what we think is the right one. Cudos to Cruiser Outfitters.:cheers:

101_1245.jpg

101_1248.jpg

101_1249.jpg

101_1250.jpg

13. Coolstream

Coolstream Coolstream Auto Air Conditioning Parts Supporting Vendor

New slotted rotors and ceramic 100 series pads.

LC.jpg

Doug Whalen likes this.
  14. Rocky_LC

Rocky_LC

I spent most of the week troubleshooting my running light problem on my FJ-40. Finally found a direct short to ground (along with about 4 "intermittent" shorts to ground).

Cleaned em all up, and put some sheathing over the rear wire harness. Now I'm good to go!

(It was a lot more work than I thought it would be!)

John - are you done? No more required hillside parking?

Regards -

Chuck

15. splitshot

splitshot Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Not yet, carb is still dismantled on the bench, kit on the way.

16. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Added a twin ('04 100), de-funkified the AC evaporator, and washed the nasty seatbelts...Can't decide if I should ditch the running boards before the Aug club run or not...

17. bowtiestang

bowtiestang Speak of the devil and he shall appear

Just replaced my thermostat, trans cooler lines, radiator hoses and Sat am the new radiators going it :)

My Aussie Locker showed up in the mail...woot woot:cool:

18. Stepmurr

Stepmurr Lookin' fer the end of that old white line SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Had to fab an emergency replacement rear hatch handle. I can't really say it is a design flaw 'cause it lasted forty years, but the handle broke at the thinnest part of the pot metal casting at the lock bar slot.

Snakes On A FJ40.jpg

Rusty 1970 FJ40 and Ryan Marley like this.
  19. GBinAZ

GBinAZ SILVER Star

After letting them age just the right amount of time on the shelf in my garage, I put on new OEM rear brake pads.

Camelback Toyota parts hook up for the win !:clap:

20. DSRTRDR

Media:
    Albums:
    :doh:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">