What did you do on your 70 series today? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well... At some point it's not just creature comfort stuff but your actual back and health related issues that come along with that... And maybe good seats are cheaper than physio therapy... And prolong the enjoyment of riding such nice vehicles...

I'm happy for your investment!!

BTW can you comment on sleepydad69 participation or involvement? If/when needed it should I reach to him? Thanks
Seats are not always like you think they would be. I have an 03' tundra, 89' BJ 73 with an excavator suspension seat mounted high, a BMW x5, and a mercedes C240. Out of all of those the one that makes my back the least sore is the firm tall upright excavator seat in the LC. The firm BMW seat is a second, but isn't a tall seat like the LC. The seat in the tundra is nice/soft and comortable to sit in, but doesn't give the needed support and my back is sore after a few hours............................Excavator seat is cool for alot of reasons, but isn't designed for highway use and there are things that make it unsafe should you be rear ended in a accident...

Installed the second seat today.

Factory suspension bases with factory Toyota sliders but used custom brackets. (Thanks @sleepydad69)

The suspension bases don’t allow you much room to go lower if you use the Toyota sliders which is frustrating but I will get used to this set up I believe.

View attachment 3233069

Which brackets did you use? I used some modified Planted brackets but would love to get these a bit lower...

Which brackets did you use? I used some modified Planted brackets but would love to get these a bit lower...

The brackets are detailed in this post in my build. They are specific to the suspension seat base on the 77.

'WHEN' you fellers with your fancy pants aftermarket seats come up to my neck of the woods for a visit, I would love the opportunity to try these seats out. Everyone's bodies are similar, but NOT the same, so... like a good pair of boots, you really need to try before you buy. In my 40 series, I would just grab some supra seats from the wreckers and install those. I found those seats super(supra?) comfy.

I would love to line up a few options - scheelmans, recarro, some options from the wreckers and try them all out to see what fits my 6'3'' frame best and never look back. I would hate to spend thousands on new seats only to find that they make my back sore, or cut off circulation or some silly nonsense on longer road trips.

I'm in the process of installing a full-size, folding 3rd row bench seat in the 77. In doing so, I had to drop the fuel tank to access some custom bolt holes, so I decided to refresh the fuel tank in the process.

1675130203570.png

I'm honestly amazed any fuel made it through the pre-strainer. This thing has to be 30 years old. Maybe this new screen will give me some extra horsepower now that I've maxed out my injection pump. 😂

1675130249577.png

Currently sizzling away full of vinegar on the back driveway. I'd never tried the vinegar method. Usually I just fill the tank full of bolts and shake it until I'm tired. But I'e got to say, this vinegar method WORKS. Only 6hrs in, and most of the inner tank "rust" is completely gone. Just bare shiny metal in there. I'll give it another 24hrs.

They did look at me funny buying 20gal of vinegar at the grocery store.

1675130352040.png

Side note: BIG THANKS to @Felde for this post. After loosening the tank up, it would not drop. Turns out that the tank essentially glues itself to the frame of the truck over time. I bet it would overland just fine with no fasteners holding it whatsoever. Just stuck to the frame. I had to pry it loose with a mega pry bar.

I would love to line up a few options - scheelmans, recarro, some options from the wreckers and try them all out to see what fits my 6'3'' frame best and never look back. I would hate to spend thousands on new seats only to find that they make my back sore, or cut off circulation or some silly nonsense on longer road trips.

The seat company BRIDE in Japan makes several direct bolt on options for seat rails onto the suspension base. One of the seat rail options almost work for the Scheel-mann too because they have the correct center to center hole mounting width (which is 405mm) but the front to back center to center holes is off by 5mm or so.

Point is, if you buy Bride seats then it will be all bolt on for you with those seat rails assuming you have suspension bases. I just couldn't get past the mostly race car look options they sell.

The seat company BRIDE in Japan makes several direct bolt on options for seat rails onto the suspension base. One of the seat rail options almost work for the Scheel-mann too because they have the correct center to center hole mounting width (which is 405mm) but the front to back center to center holes is off by 5mm or so.

Point is, if you buy Bride seats then it will be all bolt on for you with those seat rails assuming you have suspension bases. I just couldn't get past the mostly race car look options they sell.

Thanks @FJ73Texas, as per yuge, you are a fount of information. I suppose I would have to plan a trip to Japan though to try them out... and I would be extremely hesitant to purchase something like seats unless I have a chance to see how they feel when I test them.

Thanks @FJ73Texas, as per yuge, you are a fount of information. I suppose I would have to plan a trip to Japan though to try them out... and I would be extremely hesitant to purchase something like seats unless I have a chance to see how they feel when I test them.

it's only a short 10 hour for you

Hours of frame cleaning…. Probably 2 more solid days.

East Coast trucks. 🤯🤯

Grab one of these mofos for next time:

That's awesome by the way. I'd love to do that on my own truck.

I rented a large compressor and blasting setup once for my MGB.
It was faster but not very pleasant.
I used black coal slag as the abrasive so the mess blended into the parking area pretty well.

new Led lights
needed the marker lights ...but you know, mission creep and stuff

already have the dome and reverse lights and they kick ass so what-the-hell

IMG_20230203_192459[1].jpg

new Led lights
needed the marker lights ...but you know, mission creep and stuff

already have the dome and reverse lights and they kick ass so what-the-hell

View attachment 3238401
Perhaps we should add “kick ass” to the new website. 🤣

I'm returning my BJ73 to stock specs. Now it's being repainted. I'm struggling to find the original FRP color, ( mine was black but I found that it was silver before )

Different markets have different silvers

Is your firewall plate missing or not readable?

It's going to be a very very light silver, 401 and 148 are two I believe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom