What did you do on your 70 series today? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is not anything I did new recently. I installed these interior led lights awhile back but wanted to say that I like using them as they really brighten up the cabin space. The bulbs came from Odd iron offroad and it was a pretty simple install.

View attachment 3156472
thanks for the interior light reminder, ive been putting that off
just ordered the kit

Park Service worries more about your dog on a leash than they do about kids running, shrieking and attempting to stone the wildlife. They jam hundreds of people together in campgrounds devoid of space and privacy then make endless patrols to ensure no one has food that might attract bears.
Canadian parks are founded on the principle that most people who visit are nature lovers not teenage vandals.
"over regulation" really sucks. In my home state of SC the Franciss Marion national forest has had off road trails since the 80's . Always motorcycle and ATV to my knowledge and not jeep trails. In the 80's when I was always riding the trails they were always open. There were many "play areas" adjoining the trails. Franciss marion national forest is all flat low country with alot of bottomland/pine barren/ and swamp. No hilly country.......................Now the trails are closed whenever it's wet which is probably half the time. All of the old "play areas" are fenced off with lots of ugly signs. So now when I see an old 3 acre area of sand hills and bottom of the forrest road with ATV trails instead of thinking of good times, I see a bunch of signs and fencing to stay out. Some say it's to "prevent erosion". I wonder for what purpose? It's all flat bottomland. They'll close the trails to "prevent erosion" and then the next month they'll sell the timber rights and go in with giant skidders with 8ft tires and clear cut and drag out the logs........................................I've always felt like if you were'nt intentionally destroying the woods, littering, or endangering people/private property that you should be able to enjoy public land. It's supposed to be "multi-Use" for everyone. IN some places at some times it's swung too far in favor of the tree huggers.

If you were wanting to replace a BJ73 with another 4X4 for truck camping and mild towing and your requirements were: 1. A simple vehicle you can work on, or one that rarely breaks down 2. Is big enough to camp out of but not to big for trails. 3. Isn't a total gas hog 4. Is durable 5. Better on the highway than a BJ73.

I can think of alot of options: upgrading to a 80 series(hdj80?), Finding a good diesel 60 series, kzj78, crew cab Tundra with a UTE bed? .......................Cheapest 4X4 SUV out there is a cherokee, but it's nowhere as durable as a LC.

What did I do on my 70 today? I'm in the process of flushing out the radiator, but I can't figure out how to access the rear bolt on the thermostat housing of this 3B, so the job is going slowly. I also replaced the glow plugs.

View attachment 3157738
I am doing partly the same thing (together with changing the waterpump, thermostat, and fluid), so I disconnected the hose from the top part of the housing and I was able to fit a wrench and slowly back the screw out.
such a pleasure to wrench these trucks, enjoy !

I am doing partly the same thing (together with changing the waterpump, thermostat, and fluid), so I disconnected the hose from the top part of the housing and I was able to fit a wrench and slowly back the screw out.
such a pleasure to wrench these trucks, enjoy !
Thanks. I'll see if I can get my wrench in there.

firmly in the 'what I did NOT do today'. I come seeking suggestions. 1989 BJ74. owned 5 years. love it. wanted to upgrade my seat covers to Escape Gear. Many communications (w/ measurements & photos) with Equipt Expedition (let me emphasize they were great to deal with), and learn from Equipt this week that Escape Gear doesn't make covers they think will fit my 74. Best I understand, my 74 is completely stock, which has me puzzled. Maybe my photos were so crappy? (a) should I try Escape Gear again? (b) alternative seat covers that are comparable? I'll hang up and listen.

firmly in the 'what I did NOT do today'. I come seeking suggestions. 1989 BJ74. owned 5 years. love it. wanted to upgrade my seat covers to Escape Gear. Many communications (w/ measurements & photos) with Equipt Expedition (let me emphasize they were great to deal with), and learn from Equipt this week that Escape Gear doesn't make covers they think will fit my 74. Best I understand, my 74 is completely stock, which has me puzzled. Maybe my photos were so crappy? (a) should I try Escape Gear again? (b) alternative seat covers that are comparable? I'll hang up and listen.

Photos of the seat?

I have an 88 BJ74 and I'm not far from Equipt's offices. If we have the same seats maybe a first hand look would help them with fitment.

When I bought my Escape Gear covers. First I bought directly from them and they asked for pics of my seats. Almost right after the photos were sent, they refunded me without any explanation. At that point, I contacted Equipt and they reached out to Escape Gear and were told that they refunded me because the covers would not fit my seats. It took a lot of email traffic to get the seat covers but Equipt made it happen. I had to share photos of another HZJ77 owner using the same seat cover set I ordered to get Escape Gear convinced to sell me a set through Equipt but Equipt said there was no refund if they didn't work. They are almost a perfect fit with some slight modifications.

Photos of the seat?

I have an 88 BJ74 and I'm not far from Equipt's offices. If we have the same seats maybe a first hand look would help them with fitment.
Thanks for the prompt response. That is a very kind offer. Here are some pics.

LC front seats.jpg

LC front seats (back).jpg

LC back seat.jpg

LC back seat (back).jpg

Thanks for the prompt response. That is a very kind offer. Here are some pics.

View attachment 3159751

View attachment 3159752

View attachment 3159753

View attachment 3159754

Same front seats as mine. The back seat in mine hasn't been in the truck in almost 8 years and it is not equipped with seat belts. I don't remember it having headrest mounts. The seat is in storage 600 miles away from me. I could take the truck to Equipt so they can get a look at the front seats. I suggest you contact Paul and ask him if that would be a benefit

PM me if you would like to proceed.

installed the Go Fast Bits manual boost controller on the 3B-t
It works very well
I was able to get the boost dialed in at 22psi where before with the wastegate hooked up i was only able to achieve 16psi max (with the 22psi waste gate spring installed) and with the wastegate sense line unhooked it would hit 28-30psi max... which was a tad horney
I did find out though when i did that, that the extra psi's cooled the egt's substantially. At 16psi i was still having 1200f moments at the end of third gear and in 4th, but with 20+ psi the egt's would only hit 1150f max.
22 is a nice compromise between the 2 and pulls pretty good

3b powerplant
td04l 13t turbo, kinugawa,360 thrust, 6+6 compressor, 11 blade turbine
22 psi wastegate spring
2 turns on the fuel screw
timing retarded

gfb boost.jpg

It works very well
I was able to get the boost dialed in at 22psi where before with the wastegate hooked up i was only able to achieve 16psi max (with the 22psi waste gate spring installed) and with the wastegate sense line unhooked it would hit 28-30psi max... which was a tad horney
I did find out though when i did that, that the extra psi's cooled the egt's substantially. At 16psi i was still having 1200f moments at the end of third gear and in 4th, but with 20+ psi the egt's would only hit 1150f max.

3b powerplant
22 psi wastegate spring
timing retarded

View attachment 3160479

22psi on a 3B-T, bravo sir. You are either brave or don’t give a flip 😂

22psi on a 3B-T, bravo sir. You are either brave or don’t give a flip 😂
it's in a good place,
i dooo have a spare 85 bj70 as well 😉

Thing is, that engine needs to do the job that its gettin taxed with or it's has to go anyways..
1HD-t would be the dream tho

It works very well

3b powerplant
22 psi wastegate spring
timing retarded

View attachment 3160479
I get 24PSI max from a cheap china TD04 ($130). You seem to have a more expensive TD04 that can produce more boost and lower EGT's. I'm thinking that having a bit of turbo lag in order to have more boost under max load may be the key to achieving power for interstate speeds with acceptable EGT's while having less than instant throttle response at lower speeds. Thanks for your post and I hope you post results negative or positive for information for those of us that some feel are running on the ragged edge of what you can get from a 3b.

I get 24PSI max from a cheap china TD04 ($130). You seem to have a more expensive TD04 that can produce more boost and lower EGT's. I'm thinking that having a bit of turbo lag in order to have more boost under max load may be the key to achieving power for interstate speeds with acceptable EGT's while having less than instant throttle response at lower speeds. Thanks for your post and I hope you post results negative or positive for information for those of us that some feel are running on the ragged edge of what you can get from a 3b.
im finding very little turbo lag at all but highway speeds are still a challenge,
im on heavy 35's with 4.10 gears though

im finding very little turbo lag at all but highway speeds are still a challenge,
im on heavy 35's with 4.10 gears though
Depending on actual spec, the td04 should be a pretty good match.

By highway speeds do you mean 55, 65 or 75? What altitude are you at?

Depending on actual spec, the td04 should be a pretty good match.

By highway speeds do you mean 55, 65 or 75? What altitude are you at?
100kph or 60-65mph max
2-3000 feet altitude
but im on 35" bias ply trepadors so i dont really expect much more than that anyways
if i went to a radial it would improve for sure

100kph or 60-65mph max
2-3000 feet altitude
but im on 35" bias ply trepadors so i dont really expect much more than that anyways
if i went to a radial it would improve for sure
Your doing good in my opinion. I have 32"s and anything above 65 on flat ground in cool or temperate weather I need to watch my gauges. 68 seems not to difficult, but anything over 70 is pretty much wide open. Too much wind resistance. With 35s you're probably worse on the wind resistance part. Sumo gears markets some low transfer case gears that can make your low range as low as 4:1 and lowers your high range by about 10%. I've been kicking around that idea to refresh my Tcase and to run stock revs at highway speed on a set of 33s or 34s in the future.

Your doing good in my opinion. I have 32"s and anything above 65 on flat ground in cool or temperate weather I need to watch my gauges. 68 seems not to difficult, but anything over 70 is pretty much wide open. Too much wind resistance. With 35s you're probably worse on the wind resistance part. Sumo gears markets some low transfer case gears that can make your low range as low as 4:1 and lowers your high range by about 10%. I've been kicking around that idea to refresh my Tcase and to run stock revs at highway speed on a set of 33s or 34s in the future.
Yes... i was also considering those gears
with the 10% underdrive it would lower the load, and probably the egts, on the engine

are you intercooled?

On my way home from work today, some old lady who appeared to be late 70s or early 80s in a small car made a lane change into my lane a bit too early as I passed by her while going through downtown San Antonio and clipped my kaymar bumper. I followed her until she parked and got her info but she clearly seemed scared of the whole situation and probably should have her license revoked. She messed up one side of her bumper pretty good while it just rubbed paint onto my bumper.

The paint on my bumper from her car.

kaymar5.PNG

Nothing a rubber 3M wheel can't fix.

kaymar3.PNG

kaymar4.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom