What did you do on your 70 series today? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have reason to believe I blew my turbo. Lots of white smoke at startup and a sh$t ton of oil in my intake. I guess this td04 swap might be happening sooner than I planned.
Check your turboshaft for wobble, ensure your oil drain line isn't blocked somehow, and esnsure your crankcase gases are being properly vented/scavenged and not sealed/pressureized. Any pressurization in the crankcase will cause alot of oil seepage around the turboshaft.

Check your turboshaft for wobble, ensure your oil drain line isn't blocked somehow, and esnsure your crankcase gases are being properly vented/scavenged and not sealed/pressureized. Any pressurization in the crankcase will cause alot of oil seepage around the turboshaft.
I have had 2 different TD04's on my 3B. Some oil in the intake is normal. I wouldn't be concerned with a little white smoke on startup. Clouds of oil smoke while driving is a concern.

I have had 2 different TD04's on my 3B. Some oil in the intake is normal. I wouldn't be concerned with a little white smoke on startup. Clouds of oil smoke while driving is a concern.
I’ve had my turbo rebuilt 3 years ago. I’m almost certain I blew the seals, my filter is soaked in oil and it’s a fog show on startup. When driving it’s a lot better but my exhaust note is considerably louder and so is the amount of black smoke.

That is exactly what happened to me, rebuild and all.
I drilled a small hole where the exhaust downpipe turns and runs horizontal...oil drained out.

Going to investigate an oil leak today. I'm thinking it's the crank seal. Nothing is running down the side of the pan, but it appears to be coming from the bottom of the timing cover. At least that's the highest point with oil on it.

The crank seal is new however. Maybe it didn't seat right? It was really tight going in so I'd be surprised to find it leaking around the outer edge. Anybody have a trick to seating a crank seal?

new headliner nearly finished

IMG_7855.jpg

I’ve had my turbo rebuilt 3 years ago. I’m almost certain I blew the seals, my filter is soaked in oil and it’s a fog show on startup. When driving it’s a lot better but my exhaust note is considerably louder and so is the amount of black smoke.

Thats a bummer. Were you running a lot higher PSI? I'd take this as a sign...

G-turbo?
Kinugawa?
Mamba?
MME?

I really like what I hear from Munro Racing in australia. Everyone pretty much says to use the 7cm turbine instead of the 8cm that comes in the 13BT. I find the stock turbo laggy on the 13BT.

Thats a bummer. Were you running a lot higher PSI? I'd take this as a sign...

G-turbo?
Kinugawa?
Mamba?
MME?

I really like what I hear from Munro Racing in australia. Everyone pretty much says to use the 7cm turbine instead of the 8cm that comes in the 13BT. I find the stock turbo laggy on the 13BT.

Im gonna try to do a td04l-13t first and if I can’t figure that out then I’ll probably get the g-turbo.

I’ve gotten the Isuzu question a few times now, but in all fairness Prados look more like Troopers than 74’s do.

I’ve gotten the Isuzu question a few times now, but in all fairness Prados look more like Troopers than 74’s do.

I get guys all the time here. "I had one of those for 15 years" oh yeah? "yeah man Isuzus run forever"....

I had a guy walk up to one of my previous Cruisers at a gas station and when he noticed the steering wheel (RHD) he lowered his voice to basically a whisper and asked “is that legal”? I assured him that it was not but that I planned to take back roads on the way home. He nodded in agreement and wished me luck. 😀

You can't leave your window down if you want to avoid talking to people at the lights in a RHD cruiser.

Window down at red light = "hey man...<insert question/phrase here>".
That’s where grey hair comes in handy. They assume I can’t hear anyway so I just ignore them. 😀

That’s where grey hair comes in handy. They assume I can’t hear anyway so I just ignore them. 😀

I have a tshirt somewhere that says "I am not ignoring you, I am deaf" that was given to me by a deaf friend years ago. I don't wear it anymore because sometimes strangers want to come up and practice ASL with me doing their finger spelling and whatnot. I don't use ASL as a first language but will use it if the situation calls for it which is very rare these days.

Sometimes you just want to be invisible but you cant be.

"Introverted, but willing to talk about Landcruisers"

Nah. I just find most people hard to talk to face to face because my hearing is really bad (was born with over 80% hearing loss). Even more so with face masks. (Can't lip read).

As for why I don't use ASL as my first language. It is a a long story but short version is that my parents did not want to use it. So that is that......

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom