What did you do on your 70 series today? (22 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For anything else, I'm a hater of drums, but what it means in a 4wd is you get a fullsize park brake rather than a pissant little 190mm x 19mm drum tucked inside the disc as a park brake. Given the very real likelihood of ending up parked on something steep while I jump out to inspect the track ahead or move a fallen tree, I'll stick with the full size drum thanks.

I don't think this is altruistic. I can think of several instances in which discs would be advantageous and when rear drums would be advantageous. Consider the intent of the truck and environment it will be primarily used.

Please continue. Where are those situations?

For anything else, I'm a hater of drums, but what it means in a 4wd is you get a fullsize park brake rather than a pissant little 190mm x 19mm drum tucked inside the disc as a park brake. Given the very real likelihood of ending up parked on something steep while I jump out to inspect the track ahead or move a fallen tree, I'll stick with the full size drum thanks.

Yes indeed.

"Conan, what is best in life?"

"The rock solid feeling of a properly adjusted drum E brake when you need one badly. And of course to hear the lamentation of the women." ⚔

Please continue. Where are those situations?

I was happy to have drums while decending a sloppy hill. Had I had discs in the back of the truck -likely- would have wanted to come around more then it already was.

Conversely, discs were easier to maintain in muddy salty Okinawa. Furthermore, I would have preferred discs when I was hauling/towing at max gross weight.

If a truck that has significant weight added, especially a constant load (I.e armor, tires, etc.) or operates in climate extremes like the very cold, very hot and/or very muddy it will benefit from full discs.

Again, I'm not saying everyone should convert to discs or convert to drums. Not everyone uses their trucks the same and in the same environments. I'm arguing the statement that: rear discs are wasted time/engery/money for the FJC crowd.

All HZJ73's got a rear disc brake axle so you can always swap one of those,in my opinion it is worth it if you can upgrade from a sf axle to a ff axle at the same time but I would not just do it for the rear disc brake alone.

Guess who sells these from time to time ;)
Im still waiting for you to pass on a smidge from your hoard of front seats........

Im still waiting for you to pass on a smidge from your hoard of front seats........

None for sale at this moment, If I find more of those new take offs I will post an ad, hanging on to all the used ones for my Cruisers.

New water pump, belts, and some hoses! Parts from @beno Labor by Robbie, I'd be lost without these two. Happy to have another item checked off the Beastie to-do list.
IMG_3428.JPG
IMG_3427.JPG

FJC stuff.

Totally not worth the money. Front disc/rear drum—if correctly adjusted—will stop on a dime.

Hello,

x2.

Rear disc brakes are better suited for sandy/dusty environments. Sand is a powerful abrasive and will eat up drums if not cleaned periodically.

On the other hand, front disc/rear drum, properly adjusted, will perform reliably even with a leaky cylinder. It will take you back home and then to the shop. Ask me how I know.

Juan

Hi! Got my front end finished with winch install and home made bumper:

116.jpg

118.jpg

When I started the prosess of rebuilding the car I checked with Toyota if they still made the stripes the cars came with in this region, unfortunately they didn`t.

A year ago I got them measured up and a company made me a replica set, last Tuesday I got them mounted and I`m very satisfied with the result!

203.jpg

205.jpg

208.jpg

Since I’ve beem laid up for a bit physically due to some health issues, haven’t had much time for the many 70 projects.

Got one done today since it will get snowy shortly.

I had regular Truck Lite LEDs and they froze over with snow often in snowy conditions.

No bueno.

Enter Truck Lite heated lenses. Sweet. Not cheap. Nothing with LCs are. Pay to play.

All you need is a screwdriver and a few minutes. Even Charles can do this in the swamp without going all Gump on us:

102C63CA-1AF0-4A22-8504-76E47E7A31C7.jpeg

Specs:

969E1AB9-ED55-48CB-8115-FD17EF91037F.jpeg

What you get in one box: dielectric and the assy. Notice the heating element.

0D538A15-169A-4CF5-823A-B9E923A56E39.jpeg

Wiring info: useful and handy always.

AEA51AD0-30A7-49E0-AB14-CD846DD494F8.jpeg

Old non-heated Truck Lite. That’s just dirt and bugs on there.

4672C256-20FB-431F-AA77-8FF730AC93C7.jpeg

A few tidbits of information:

These lock rings are still available from Toyota if needed. I replaced mine in 2015:

1243CEBF-25DB-4AC6-8A6A-E3ECE91F0A98.jpeg

Headlight housing frame assy: still available from Toyota new. These rust often on these old trucks:

D52DD284-1860-48F6-BC55-BC4D4607456C.jpeg

Clean harness side connector with cleaner and tape headlight housing harness for protection.

Apply dielectric to harness side (female) end:

97A7A918-82ED-4F32-BBF9-378F6E990DB9.jpeg

Assembled with grille back on:

9A177ECE-590E-4A09-850D-5722D53885F4.jpeg

Lights on!

08482C05-EFE9-4C98-B545-806A13CA286F.jpeg

15 mins max.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom