What brand oil should I use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Quote from: Dianna on December 31, 2003, 10:00 AM
I've got a '77 FJ40 with the original F2. What brand filters do you guys use?

[quote author=theo link=board=1;threadid=9456;start=msg83504#msg83504 date=1073065373]
Well, I hope you're happy now! The only thing worse than asking for opinions on oil filters is asking what's the best oil to use!! Try it, I dare ya. :D
[/quote]

So here it is! What brand of oil does everyone use? I know my local stealer here uses Mobil...

castrol 5/30. Actually, there is a list of approved oils in the Toyota engine manual if you are interested!

Auch der meiner Guten! I can't believe you did that. :'(

Castrol GTX... My dad competed for years in truck pulls with a 800 horse 475 big block ford with locker 5.13 gears.. The truck was beat hard. And gtx did its job...

Another thread talked about Castrol Maxi life with seal sweel agents. Anything to that? - Ken

MOBIL1 all the way for me. i use synthetic in my silverado ss and regular in my fj40 and in the trailblazer

Castrol GTX 20/50. My old F needs viscocity. No particular reason for the brand that's just what I've always bought.

I use Mobile 1 in my other vehicles. I was told that it would tend to seep out of the older 2F engine. Have you guys had any problem with that?

Definitely something to the "seal swell agent" and extra detergency in the Max Life-type oils. Whether it be Valvoline (my favorite) or any of the others that copied Valvoline's idea to add these products, they do help. The seal swell agent and seal conditioners help reduce leaking from the seal and condition them as well. The extra detergency helps to clean out the extra sludge, etc. that is normally found in older, higher mileage engines. I'm in the chemical business and sell the components that go into products that blenders of Crankcase, ATF, Gear Oil, and Fuel treatment products use. I'd definitely recommend Valvoline Max Life. I would use Mobil 1 Synthetic if it were a new car or something turbocharged. I use it in my wife's Jetta 1.8T.

I just leave it to my mechanic.

MWalls, could you send me a picture of your Mustard yellow rig? Mine was mustard yellow, but the PO painted it red. I am considering turning back to the original (mustard yellow) color.

Ton

I use Mobil-1 and have noticed no increase in leakage - it leaks a tiny bit, just like it did with dino oil. Modern synthetic oils I think all have seal swelling agents - in the old days they did not and that is why you hear stories about leaking with synthetics.

I don't understand why the dealers (at least the one's around here) use Mobil 1 and not Toyota motor oil. I have always used Castrol but after seeing the responses, guess it's time to switch to Mobil. Do you guys switch weight for winter/summer driving?

[quote author=Dianna link=board=1;threadid=9537;start=msg83866#msg83866 date=1073112256]
Do you guys switch weight for winter/summer driving?
[/quote]

It's not as important with synthetics, but yes I do.

Both my '76 and '84 get a steady diet of Chevron oils, 20w-50 Chevron Supreme in the summer, and 15w-40 Delo Heavy Duty in the winter. Both are inexpensive and available at Costco in cases. The Supreme is often available at Kragan for $0.69 a quart-that's tough to beat for a top grade oil.

My '97 and my wife's '04 Sienna get Mobil 1 since I know the long term maintenence on both. I have run my '97 occasionally on Mobil Delvac 1 but it is harder to find. By the way-no leaks (knocking on wood now).

Filters on all the Cruisers-Napa Gold 1515's, but I am switching to Toyota 15600-41010 since I just bought a case of them.

olive oil is very nice but sometimes has an odd smell.
The texture of sesame oil mixed with almond for me is the best for the oily thai massage/........ :whoops: this must not be bangkok massage parlor forum :cheers:

Bangcock? Sure it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom