What are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That stinks!

Can you talk to them about totaling it, and then you buying it back?

I don't think the salvage title is that big of a deal. If you go to resell it, you have all the documentation showing the ridiculous reason why.

I talked to the adjuster who even said "well if you had mentioned younwantwd the a-pillar and hood alone fixed it might have been a different story" to my response of "well that's what I was most concerned with since I'm in the industry and know how to do the rest of the work myself but the paint work" but it sounds like they have their minds made up -_-.

Honestly around here anymore, that salvage title is damning. Thanks to tgebwondeful world of the internet, it seems like even if you have to proof, it comes down to the paper...

I'm not sure how much energy I have to go back and forth. The car is worth much more then I thought private party if it has a clean title. It's just my time and a little extra money that I could recoup if we sold it.

Sounds to me like your Rav4 needs a fake carbon fiber hood with an air scoop ;) Solves the paint dilemma and your husband will be styyylliinnnnn

In all seriousness - for the panels that aren't welded to the unibody, what about going and finding a similar color in a junkyard somewhere? That's how I have fixed pretty much every bodywork issue I've had. I used to have a 1989 Plymouth Colt wagon (worst car ever) that I drove doorless to Reading, PA after I Tommy-boy'd the old passenger-side door off on a basketball hoop. Came home in a Blue Colt Wagon with a new door that was half the matching blue, and half gray from a 2-tone Colt that had been rear-end totaled. I decided if the car was going to look that booty-fab I was going to slap $13 K-mart hubcap spinners on it as well. Drove it another 2 years that way until my dad decided to go toe-to-toe with a F150. I still think it was intentional just to kill that POS.

Long story short - when life gives you lemons, build a s***ty ricer!

Funny you say that l, I've already been exploring junkyard and ebay with little luck. The goal was to try to get a sport hood on it. It was an option of that year and shares the same scoop shape and size as my 4runner! I still plan on doing this now since most parts off rock auto are pretty cheap. The hardest item to find in good condition will be the wiper cowl. They didn't come from the factory being the greatest, but if I can strip it enough I'll just repaint it black. Like I could do with most of the trim, that would really make the car pop again anyway.

Looking at the estimate some of the parts really blew me away with pricing.

If you don't let them total it, do you get any type of reimbursement at all?

From past experience, no. It's a racket. Body shops know it's an insurance job at charge 3X, and insurance looks at the car and says "nope" and pays you half what it's worth.

I don't have to pay any fees for the shop time that has been taken up already 🤷‍♂️ and a clean title...

I messaged an old friend from college who is an adjuster and he thought it was a high estimate as well. And we role played what my options were but while on the phone with my adjuster it all fell through.

I am now business man, but I do understand it all comes down to numbers in the end. I just feel a lot may have been over processed and it can be difficult to argue that consider what issues may arise during repairs.

I didn't use the rental option that I have on my policy either since I figured it wouldn't be too long to repair...

Dude, take the cash, then buy it back for a fraction of the $$! I've done that a few times and come out ahead.

I drive an R title car, it is a non issue. You'll likely be able to sell it for more than you'll have into it - just don't expect full resale value.

It is slightly harder to get insurance, but not bad.

Dude, take the cash, then buy it back for a fraction of the $$! I've done that a few times and come out ahead.

I drive an R title car, it is a non issue. You'll likely be able to sell it for more than you'll have into it - just don't expect full resale value.

It is slightly harder to get insurance, but not bad.

It's back in my hands already.

I have a salvage title car as well with insurance that was no problem to get, maybe because it is liability only?

However, all said, I have a whole matter to deal with. I am not sure how exactly they determined that the house paint will not come off without ruining all the cars paint when they did not even try make an attempt. The car is in the exact same status as when I left, no fresh pressure washer marked or missing additional paint. I informed them that yes when I tried getting the paint off at the carwash that it took the hoods paint off with it and the hood alone...

Sorry, now I'm going to go on a soap box so I'll just stop while I'm ahead... I'm going to document my repairs, show the after, be proud and move on toward getting 35s under my truck and my garage back to one piece

FIFY

I'm going to document my repairs, show the after, be proud and move on toward getting 35s under my truck and my garage back to one piece, and better shelves!

Disappointing that your home owners wont cover any of it. We had a furnace puff back just after we moved in. I closed the door to the furnace room and it suffocated. It leaked soot from the chimney pipe and got sucked into the blower then blown around the house. Staining and covering everything in a oily film. This was not a act of god. Insurance paid to have the inside painted, ducts cleaned, carpets cleaned, all clothing and bedding was cleaned, all furniture was cleaned. It took at least a week. They had a company called Complete restorations come and do the work.

I've been working with a local company that does air-cooled Volkswagen (and Porsche) restorations, repairs, and also VW-based dune buggies. We've finally completed the prototype work on our next-generation buggy using an GM EcoTec drivetrain and the car went live today for orders.

So on the more happier side of things, I recently had some 17 Sequioa/Tundra wheels that I had acquired last year powder coated. They were pretty bad:

Inhad them blasted and powder coated because A) I wanted to see how good the local powder coating place was, B) They are going to be wrapped with a daily driver tire so I can save the MTs when they go on.

I was able to get work to sneak me in since I really need to drive the truck daily until the husbands Rav4 is sorted out...

So without further ado, lipstick on a pig:

I will get the center caps painted black and leave the toyota emblem chrome, after I recover them from under the layers of paint on my tool box -_-

The tires as posted earlier are cheap Ebay specials but should do the trick, better then the MTs that were on there with shifted belts, tried to see if they would balance and it was a no go....

The color looks good. I’m actually experimenting with running bronze on my 99 LC. Test painted using duplicolor bronze wheel paint today and I like the look on these lx470 wheels I have.
014B16A6-8B3C-41A1-A81C-D9F598E4FD83.jpeg

The color looks good. I’m actually experimenting with running bronze on my 99 LC. Test painted using duplicolor bronze wheel paint today and I like the look on these lx470 wheels I have. View attachment 2046915

That turned put awesome! I feel many forms of the bronze go great with any color of our vehicles.

Speaking of expensive non-cruiser related projects - this is where all my money went this month. One of my Tranes died an early death at 12 years old due to the heat wave a couple weeks ago and a piss-poor installation by the original home builder.

So wife and I got to pony up for a new heat pump, backup furnace, line-set, and re-duct in the attic.

Glad I shelled out for my H41/3-speed combo before this s*** hit the fan...

80B08F1C-0800-4AF6-8908-B311DE87B584.jpeg

Pish....air conditioning...

If it weren't for the infant and the fact that we were all sleeping on air mattresses in the dining room - I'd agree.

I must say as someone who likes the old/retro stuff - I like how the Rheem systems look, old school logo and battleship gray paint - reminds me of my old Delta drill press from the 30's

I've been working with a local company that does air-cooled Volkswagen (and Porsche) restorations, repairs, and also VW-based dune buggies...

I'll also say that we're a full enhanced state inspection station, so if you have something needing one we can talk.

As of January 1, 2007, only those safety inspection stations appointed and under contract with PennDOT as an Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Station may inspect reconstructed, flood, specially constructed, recovered theft, collectible, modified vehicles and street rods for compliance with all applicable equipment and inspection rules for the purpose of titling the vehicle in Pennsylvania. Customers wishing to title these types of vehicles should go to the link below for access to a listing of Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Stations.

Hanging tree stands to prep for hunting season

20190730_142940[1].jpg

20190730_142954[1].jpg

Used an eyelet screwed into the tree, then a carabiner with the snatch block to hoist them up and add ladder sections as we went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom