What are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, I'm not gonna call this a particularly easy install, but done is done! :banana::banana::wrench:

IMG_20190808_191539.jpg

IMG_20190808_191523.jpg

Modified a fuel tank to relocate the filler neck and cap off the existing filler neck.

Fuel Tank Collage.png

Aaron can you access the clutch lever?

Yes, with the hood up.

I may clock the clutch down so it could be accessible from the grill next to the left fog light, but it would be quite vulnerable facing fwd like that.

These things spool so damn fast, I may never need to access the clutch. It's a very nice winch!

I rarely see the real need for disengaging the clutch anyway. I believe judicious paying out of the cable when needed is no danger to the winch.

Had to do some maintenance on the Tacoma. Every year I have to change out the uniballs on my UCAs. Also found the lower spherical bearings on my Fox shocks were worn out. Passenger side wasn't bad. Driver side bolt was seized in there. Had to cut it off.
20190810_122329.jpg
20190810_122342.jpg

Had to do some maintenance on the Tacoma. Every year I have to change out the uniballs on my UCAs. Also found the lower spherical bearings on my Fox shocks were worn out. Passenger side wasn't bad. Driver side bolt was seized in there. Had to cut it off.View attachment 2054339View attachment 2054340
Wow, every year your are in there? No thank you!

Camburg UCAs?

Will I be doing this with my new to me SPC UCAs?

Camburg UCAs?

I hope you won't have to. I use TriFlow lube as often as I can. Granted I probably should clean the dirt out of them more but after a year they start squeaking like crazy. Ball joint style are definitely better for longevity.

Had to do some maintenance on the Tacoma. Every year I have to change out the uniballs on my UCAs. Also found the lower spherical bearings on my Fox shocks were worn out. Passenger side wasn't bad. Driver side bolt was seized in there. Had to cut it off.View attachment 2054339View attachment 2054340

Been there done that. I feel your pain. After every trip I try to clean the dirt away and when its winter time if I have to drive it through a storm I try to get to a carwash after the roads have been clear just to clean those joints.

Now that I don't daily the truck I don't need to change them that often.

When I assemble suspension I try to use a marine grease I have now, so far it's been effective with everything but the long bolt that goes through the upper arm lol.

Interesting the shocks have those kind of joints, I'm cursious what the advantage is there.

Camburg UCAs?

I’ve been running SPC’s for years w/ no issues. Main difference is that one is uni-ball and SPC are more of a traditional ball joint w/ grease fitting. I feel like the later is better suited for our climate and crappy, salt covered roads in the winter.

Bought a parts FJ40 last week and have been stripping it down to sell off some parts. The engine sounded good but needs a valve job so I pulled it apart and am taking the head to my machine shop tomorrow. Hoping to come out of this with a good strong 2F. Seems like every time I get my garage cleaned out and have a little room another project comes along and clutters it up! Actually just got done doing some work on the nephew's red 40 and that's waiting to be picked up. Never ends!!!!!

Nephew's 40.jpg
Engine and parts.jpg
Frame front.jpg
Transmission 1978.jpg

C00353D1-DA04-409F-8F07-0BF01E98BE38.jpeg
39DD7616-9FCB-4FF6-BAEB-C07D54E33E95.jpeg

Installed the front bumper (dissent) and smittybuilt winch. I need to figure out lighting though because I stupidly wired the bumper lights to the fog light after reusing the bulb mount. The problem is the LEDs are not SAE/DOT compliant so I can’t have them as fog light, and they don’t really point the right direction. Debating on buying complaint fog lights and modifying to fit and turning those leds into spot lots or just wiring a switch to the cubes.

Last edited:
With the good weather this past weekend we were able to wrap up some painting on the workshop. Now just have to find time for projects IN the workshop instead of ON the workshop!

img_3940edit-jpg.2056877

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom