What are you working on? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some pics of mine...

I scheduled an appointment at Red Run exhaust on Monday to get a new stainless system installed. A quick search suggests the stock routing is a bit closer to the DS frame rail?

View attachment 2000130

Does anyone have any advice or better yet link to suggested routing/plan for a new catback? The guys at RR are good, when I took my Bronco into them I had printed out a few photos from the web and they basically made it happen.

Yes, I know I can search, but I figure to the already-40-savvy folks this would be a softball question.

Thank you!

View attachment 2000126

A00BFA14-0D8A-49C5-AB61-867419AC127F.jpeg

CA77D183-FD27-4B41-8AA0-48EC1930CC45.jpeg

1F1B6BAD-BB66-4DF6-9F21-DC50FD339693.jpeg

I scheduled an appointment at Red Run exhaust on Monday to get a new stainless system installed. A quick search suggests the stock routing is a bit closer to the DS frame rail?

View attachment 2000130

Does anyone have any advice or better yet link to suggested routing/plan for a new catback? The guys at RR are good, when I took my Bronco into them I had printed out a few photos from the web and they basically made it happen.

Yes, I know I can search, but I figure to the already-40-savvy folks this would be a softball question.

Thank you!

View attachment 2000126

Mine is actually routed just like yours, now. Which is super annoying because it used to be routed just like @BROKEROB1 has his - which fit around my auxillary fuel tank. I'd asked the shop to keep it tucked up against the frame rail but they got lazy and decided to do what they want. I should have raised hell but the routing is otherwise pretty clean so I was probably too nice and let it slide...

Got to hang out with Rob today. Many thanks for the seat extenders!

77D40357-0600-4E2A-B8A2-708856FA240E.jpeg

Then came back and started knocking out all the rust in the sill.

B2FF1CBE-021F-49EE-8745-BE96B6672A8C.jpeg

And then started the frame off by removing the doors.

75FD9B15-65AA-447F-8EEB-A4F7D3997514.jpeg

View attachment 2000130

Thank you!

View attachment 2000126
Mine is routed eaxactly like Brian's. Above the skid plate, over the axle on the driver side then a transversely mounted muffler behind the axle exiting behind the passenger side rear wheel. Best setup I've ever seen on a six cylinder FJ40. If you can get a system installed that looks as good as Brian's you'll be a fortunate guy!!! Can't wait to see pictures...……...

Is the passenger side exit to keep fumes away from the driver? Seems like some extra work to run it across as opposed to keeping tight to the driver frame rail and exiting driver side like Rob shows above.

Please advise! Red run will build whatever I bring them pictures of.

Thanks for the info and pictures and experience guys. I appreciate the guidance!

Been working on a bunch of boring maintenance crap...
got my 02 sensors sorted out, replaced both and all appears to good again. Bunch of greasing and rust prevention. Front pads were low and rotors looked pretty bad so replaced those and in the the process, discovered the front passenger caliper was seized so replaced that as well.
My timing belt and water pump money has just now been depleted so that will have to wait a little while. Not due for another 10-20K so NBD for now.

Been working on a bunch of boring maintenance crap...
got my 02 sensors sorted out, replaced both and all appears to good again. Bunch of greasing and rust prevention. Front pads were low and rotors looked pretty bad so replaced those and in the the process, discovered the front passenger caliper was seized so replaced that as well.
My timing belt and water pump money has just now been depleted so that will have to wait a little while. Not due for another 10-20K so NBD for now.
Do both front calipers as a set if you can stand to go back in there.

I drove to get this done, so not really sure it counts as what I'm working on but .... front diff armor and getting the new beefier sway bar mounts installed as well. I like how the truck feels on the trails without the sway bar, but it does make bouncing over rocks through tight trails a bit more difficult since the front end wants to move laterally more, or at least it seemed that way.

TntsEu9KzpAmr0hQ4QnT_-NANLG1nWmGELtKwAh4VevQMmM4JQX5y0fD4ArjNkXTVUzcI-n0ljafr5dvUZVC3WQQaB2ClI...jpg

8XfamNWjfdN9YMcvnjaB0ONANLG1nWmGELtKwAh4VeuBN_7rFahGrwqSQjKCJYdFaiGyPcnXqmJ5vRDWa81Moesnc-qgMb...jpg

I like how the truck feels on the trails without the sway bar, but it does make bouncing over rocks through tight trails a bit more difficult since the front end wants to move laterally more, or at least it seemed that way.

I think that was more from the missing lower control arm bolt...

I like how the truck feels on the trails without the sway bar, but it does make bouncing over rocks through tight trails a bit more difficult since the front end wants to move laterally more, or at least it seemed that way.

anti sway bar has nothing to do with that movement.

anti sway bar has nothing to do with that movement.

Really? I thought that was exactly what it does. I know it helps with cornering at speed, but it seemed like the front end rocked side to side much more when I would bounce over a rock when tilted :meh:

@Crusha ... I def made sure I had both bolts in this time. Truck was still making a a bit of noise when articulating hard, but not the loud cracking sound like before. The bolt was missing when I was out at Rausch with Joe and Brian (not this brian).

sway bar is intended to limit the ablity of the axle to articulate.....its nothing more than a torsion spring like setup thats connected to the frame on the ends and the axle in middle(albeit two places in the "middle").
the panhard bars are what keep the axle centered under the frame.

driving the 75 to rehoboth tomorrow....so this is more of a i hope im not working on something, thing.

Glad to see someone else throwing old hoopties into long road trips with their fingers crossed.

Glad to see someone else throwing old hoopties into long road trips with their fingers crossed.

more like calculated risk taking.
im almost 20k miles just since i've had the head off a few years ago....with another god knows how many prior to that.....it has proven its self to be more realible than its mechanic.
this is probably going to be the trip that pushs me over the edge on putting 3:70 rears in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom