What are you working on? (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Enjoying the fruits of labor.

20180901_141050.jpg

Tearing the rear axle apart. RR hub seal gave up, soaked the brakes in gear oil. No great loss there, they were toast.

Got new brakes and rotors on order, so the next task was pulling the locker actuator. The bottom two bolts were simple enough, the top two were rusted just enough to make the job far more difficult than it should have been. Ended up grinding a socket down to remove all of the chamfer, and that got me just enough bite to get them out.

Hoping to get it all back together by the end of the week to make the club run.

@brian i never got the full story on this - is restoring old trains a job? Side gig? Hobby? Looks awesome!

Very blurry line that covers all three.
Part of my paying job is taking care of any NB code work that comes in.
The shop doesnt advertise the R stamp we carry...so its sorta a side thing.
Also being a qualified welder I volunteer my skill set to help keep this one running.
I as well as the shop started off getting paid to replace the boiler tubes in it a few years ago. During that job it was pretty obvious that they would need addentional attention in the code department if they wished to keep all their repairs on the up and up....I like steam and steam powered equipment. My office job keeps me on the outside of welding hoods these days. This old girl gives me a chance to burn some rods and the occasional shirts on the weekends.
The payoff is being to bring the wife and daughter over when it's running and just ride all day.
At some point I may take one of their engineer or fireman classes. But for now I just busy myself with whatever metal work needs addressed.

There is a steam powered locomotive crane in the wayback that needs help...lots of help...its calling my name...so far I have ignored it, but the time is coming.

Last edited:
I put this in Tech section, but will see if you guys can help as well ...

So after recently completing my knuckle rebuild, then going back a few days later and resetting the pre-load to 30 ft-lbs I'm having an issue with what feels like an unbalanced tire at speed. It usually happens above 65mph and will occasionally smooth out close to 75mph. It seems to be worse when turning to the right around bends on the highway.

I already swapped the wheels and tires to a different set hoping to eliminate it and no change. Rotors and pads are brand new (Napa & EBC Greens) and the truck both tracks and stops very straight, so it doesn't seem brake related. It also rolls very smoothly and tires rotate smoothly by hand when front is in the air.

I checked for up/down and side-to-side wobble on both fronts and all seems solid there too. I did notice the other day that the front end was very springy when I pressed down on the corner of the bumper by hand. It has original shocks and springs and with the bumper, winch and armor on it sits maybe 1.0-1.5" off the factory bump stops.

Is it possible the wobble I'm feeling is a blown shock? The roads here in PA are very poor, lots of crowned transitions on the concrete and potholes of all sizes on the pavement. Not sure if the road + poor or broken shock would cause the issue or maybe tie-rod ends? The PS front tie-rod has a tear in the rubber. Also, the cat is rubbing slightly on the slider, but I'm not sure this would cause the feedback through the steering wheel that I'm feeling.

Any insight or help to further diagnose is appreciated.

Unbalanced rotor? Do you feel any wobble in the brake pedal?

A bad shock will often leak (will be wet) or have leaked (will be black and greasy and gross)...

Last edited:
I found some motivation this weekend to get the garage is some kind of order, got to the point where I couldn't reach anything and it was very annoying.

Made some new shelves, added some cabinets, fixed some existing shelves (previous owner didn't have anything tied into a stud...)

Goal was to get a 4Runner and a car in, mission accomplished.

Yes there are a lot of tires, that will be next once I am back from vacation.

Also need to clean up the wires and find a better place for the table saw, thinking a hoist system of some sort....

^^^ Nice garage !!

No vibrations in the brake pedal. I will check for fluid from the shock. It's all getting swapped out soon, so I guess I will just deal with it until after the new parts go on and see if that fixes it. Thanks guys.

I put this in Tech section, but will see if you guys can help as well ...

So after recently completing my knuckle rebuild, then going back a few days later and resetting the pre-load to 30 ft-lbs I'm having an issue with what feels like an unbalanced tire at speed. It usually happens above 65mph and will occasionally smooth out close to 75mph. It seems to be worse when turning to the right around bends on the highway.

Any insight or help to further diagnose is appreciated.

My first question would be if it did this before your rebuild. If not, I'd find the coincidence of a blown shock now causing this a little strange...

Any chance your front locker is engaged? Did you remove the front driveshaft and put it together out of phase?

My thoughts,
Andy

Last edited:
Generally speaking, I really like Napa and their parts... but I’ve definitely had some issues with their quality control on certain parts... and very specifically, brake calipers and rotors. So it’s going to be tough to know... was the brake job recent? No vibrations in the steering wheel or the seat? How do the shock bushings look?

^^^ Nice garage !!

No vibrations in the brake pedal. I will check for fluid from the shock. It's all getting swapped out soon, so I guess I will just deal with it until after the new parts go on and see if that fixes it. Thanks guys.

@caz - brakes were done at the same time as the knuckle rebuild. All was good for a week or two, then I swapped the mudders on hoping to get out wheeling, but never did. Vibes started and I assumed it was just the tire was way out of balance. Swapped back the the slightly heavier (wider) street treads that are the same size (33") and the vibes are more noticeable, possibly just because the tires make less noise.

The wobble is there on fresh paved roads, just much less than the highway.

@BROKEROB1 - I will get a pic of the shock bushings asap. I think the whole truck is shaking a bit, but I really feel it in the steering. The NAPA parts are just the four rotors and both rear calipers. I do not get any wobble or pull under braking.

I keep trying to isolate the cat off the slider, but it keeps breaking free. I even ordered new mounts from Wit's End, but the screws aren't long enough after I add a few rubber spacers. I need to find something I can mount in the middle and drill the holes as needed to pull the cat up high enough to get it off the slider for good. I already have the bolts and such I need, just sourcing the spacer that will take the heat. Trying not to have to buy a new exhaust on top of everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom