What are the solutions for carrying extra fuel (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My solution for what its worth.

EFD54390-E794-4969-982F-31FAF0D95544.jpeg

The longest overland route in North America is ~150 miles, el Camino del diablo, according to Scott Brady’s Instagram account. Could a stock LC go out and back on it?

The longest overland route in North America is ~150 miles, el Camino del diablo, according to Scott Brady’s Instagram account. Could a stock LC go out and back on it?

It ends in Ajo, AZ so one could easily refuel there and turn around and run it back to Yuma. That said, even at 13mpg with the factory 24 gallon fuel tank one should be able to do it out and back (~300 miles) with a gallon or so to spare.

Last edited:
There is also this…
I planned on building a tray underneath to hold one or two (I purchased a 5 gal & 3 gal to see which might fit best) of them where my spare tire used to be.
That's a really good alternative and solid idea it seems. Thanks for adding that. This is a great thread and important matter. So would you mount it under where you spare tire would be? Now I'm thinking of all the places I could put it while driving if I were to get three of them.

That's a really good alternative and solid idea it seems. Thanks for adding that. This is a great thread and important matter. So would you mount it under where you spare tire would be? Now I'm thinking of all the places I could put it while driving if I were to get three of them.
I was doing more digging and it looks like however at most it's only good for temporary transporting. I know most would prefer something they can leave on and forget, this is a single purpose use of a trip. Which would work I think if that was the case and If that was what your intentions were.

Screenshot_2022-10-05-08-40-24-12_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2022-10-05-08-39-40-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

From Dawson City, Yukon to Eagle Plains, Yukon on the Dempster Highway is 254 miles with no gas available, and yes I was able to do that distance easily on the stock tank and pretty loaded LX570.

Having said that, I am seriously considering the long ranger. Its 70 litres (18 gallons) capacity vs 12.5 and fits above the spare tire. They have a shop in Canada that can import and install. 70L Auxiliary Fuel Tank – Retains The Spare Tyre | The Long Ranger - http://thelongranger.com.au/toyota/landcruiser/200-series/ta65stwin

I was doing more digging and it looks like however at most it's only good for temporary transporting. I know most would prefer something they can leave on and forget, this is a single purpose use of a trip. Which would work I think if that was the case and If that was what your intentions were.

View attachment 3132435

View attachment 3132436
If you follow their social media you get a good understanding of their testing and why they have to put that on their site. They are not approved in the U.S. but I would certainly trust them as much as many other hard plastic solutions. However, I wouldn’t likely keep fuel in them beyond just the long trip I used them for.

I have a couple of those Trail’d tanks now too that I’m planning on using for water so we’ll see how I can design the rear bumper to accommodate all of them.

These have been my choices based on my budget and preferences for trying to keep weight down (also down low for better COG) and not having a lot of items bolted on the outside of my rig.

It ends in Ajo, AZ so one could easily refuel there and turn around and run it back to Yuma. That said, even at 13mpg with the factory 24 gallon fuel tank one should be able to do it out and back (~300 miles) with a gallon or so to spare.
When I’m on the Dalton up in northern AK which is gravel/washboard/dirt/mud I get more like 11-12mpg. Some of my more overland/off road trips I get more like <10 mpg, pretty low mpg if there is a lot of sand or mud.

Last edited:
Something to think about is that Off road - low range Fuel Economy has nothing to do with Highway /daily fuel economy.
I would not be surprised to see real world range off road (low range, sand, etc) at about 120 miles to a tank... everything is conditions dependent.

The whole Idea is have enough range to easily reach the next fuel stop..

In regards to the two larger LRA tanks being the only functional ones, I would disagree pretty strongly with that. The tendency is bigger and larger, and maybe 12.5 gallons doesn't sound like a lot. The reality is that 12.5 gallons represents 60% more capacity, which is a big number by most measures. Most fill 18-21 gallons on the stock tank as it has to keep reserve. Aux tanks don't. Assuming 20 gallons fill / 12.5 is how I'm coming up with 60%. That' reflects pretty well in use as I have 500+ mile range on 35s, which I have found easily comfortable.

The spare relocation has pretty big implications to configuration, weight, and cost.

With the caveat that you have one and I don't, this is where opinions start to come in. Personally I wouldn't want to make the sacrifices of the common LRA evap system issues and moving the spare tire down unless it is a totally game-changing mod, and 60% isn't game-changing to me.

The maze in canyonlands, with fuel to do all the random spurs and whatever I'm interested in while there, while not worrying about fuel at all, is basically my standard for having enough fuel, in the context of performing mods that bring sacrifices.

If the filler neck weren't unobtanium I'd consider grinchy's OE subtank a better option for that size of tank.. but it moves the spare down as well.

I'm getting the impression OP is more worried about freeway range, and the rack and RTT would definitely play into that.. in that case the LRA 12.5 could very well get the job done. But if I'm only going to have 13 extra gallons and it's primarily for off-road travel, it'll probably go on the roof in rotopax or similar.

Something to think about is that Off road - low range Fuel Economy has nothing to do with Highway /daily fuel economy.
I would not be surprised to see real world range off road (low range, sand, etc) at about 120 miles to a tank... everything is conditions dependent.

The whole Idea is have enough range to easily reach the next fuel stop..

I wouldn't consider an overland route/fire roads/jeep two-track as low-range territory. Sure, there may be obstacles or short sections that require it but there's no reason to be in low-range full-time for such a track. I have been over loaded in both the GX and the 200 in Big Bend through very sandy and rocky sections for more than 100 miles and I never saw worse than 12mpg, YMMV. The GX did see 9mpg once but that was with three grown men, their gear, all while towing 3500lbs at highway speeds through mountainous terrain. I am fully aware of how range works and what should be considered and it's obviously relative to your particular vehicle, load, and where and how you're traveling. The example I was referring to was in regards to a 150 mile track that has fuel stops at both ends, this should be doable by any modern vehicle on it's factory tank and range with ease.

Is towing a trailer with any weight to it in your future? If so, LRA - if not the factory tank should get you most places without hassling with a jerry can or rotopax. I'm in the camp of the 12.5 being the best option to retain spare location and keep things streamlined. If you are going to tow, you may wish you went with the 40 though.

With the caveat that you have one and I don't, this is where opinions start to come in. Personally I wouldn't want to make the sacrifices of the common LRA evap system issues and moving the spare tire down unless it is a totally game-changing mod, and 60% isn't game-changing to me.

The maze in canyonlands, with fuel to do all the random spurs and whatever I'm interested in while there, while not worrying about fuel at all, is basically my standard for having enough fuel, in the context of performing mods that bring sacrifices.

If the filler neck weren't unobtanium I'd consider grinchy's OE subtank a better option for that size of tank.. but it moves the spare down as well.

I'm getting the impression OP is more worried about freeway range, and the rack and RTT would definitely play into that.. in that case the LRA 12.5 could very well get the job done. But if I'm only going to have 13 extra gallons and it's primarily for off-road travel, it'll probably go on the roof in rotopax or similar.

That's fair depending on personal expectations.

For me, it's absolutely game changing. 60% on most things are: 60% more power, or 60% more income. Another perspective is would something be game changing with 60% less?

Less thought experiment and more reality, for me at least:

- This was one of my earlier mods, because my frequent off-roading travel and towing, sometimes in the same trip, put me in a bind several times. I do both and stock range was not cutting it. I was a slave on a short tether to gas stations, having to plan trips and stops around fills. Using a Jerry or Rotopax gets old. I knew I was going to bigger tires which would only cause MPG to get worse.

- I just weighed my rig with trailer on a long 10 day trip with 6 people - 15,620lbs. That's 10k over a box stock LC200. 12.5 gallons give me back stock-ish 300mile range when towing which is comfortable. The reality of a larger aux tank, relocated spare, and rear swing out is a non-starter for what I tow as that would compromise stability, and put the rear axle over 6k lbs (rated 4300 GAWR)

- For me, it's not about never getting gas. There's so many gas stations. It's about getting gas on my terms. While balancing setup and weight for other concerns. The LRA 12.5 does that and then some, as I can plan for lunch at interesting destinations, instead of another gas station.

The criticisms of the LRA and evap is common across the range. I was an early adopter and first to install it to a USDM LX570. I'm in the silt laden west where I'm out playing almost every other month. So take my issues as growing pains for development of the LRA for the US. For those newly installing it, fixes are identified and known. Given that, it's still the best mod I've done. I would choose the same tank size today.

I do still carry a Rotopax depending on trip. Not for myself, but usually for others that I caravan with. I have a buddy with a built Titan that went down the traditional build route with swingouts and everything. Titans dont' have aftermarket tank option. He's usually the recipient of the Roto, as he can barely do 180miles most days.

Last edited:
Theoretical yes but the trail difficulty is a big factor. I’ve been in the 5 mpg range on hard trails where we had to stop to get trucks one by one through something or <5 mph climbing. I could probably manage my fuel a little better by shutting my vehicle off when I’m actually stopped for 10 minutes but still I sometimes get range anxiety when I’m down to a quarter of a tank and 10 miles from the highway and another 30 from gas. I also admit that it’s rare that anyone would actually go 150 miles are 300 miles at this kind of gas burning pace.

24 LRA going in this fall….

I don't see why not, I am considering buying a pair for my 4th gen. 4runner.

I really like that one too! Great idea, wonder if it will fit the gx with no issues

My reviews of the Giant Loop (now Armadillo) liquid reservoirs. Been a solid convert for a few years now. I've used mine from below sea level to 11K passes - from 110°+ heat to below freezing and they've been perfect for my use.

Giant Loop Armadillo Bag utility bladder review

Giant Loop 5 gallon gas bag review

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/giant-loop-5-gallon-gas-bag-review.1246996/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/giant-loop-5-gallon-gas-bag-review.1246996/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom