Well I gone and done it: 2018 Premium (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How well do those Vehicross rigs do? while looking to replace our 100 series Hundy's, along with GX's, these were one of the vehicles I was considering.
The styling is awesome, but my concerns were:
  1. Unibody. How well will these handle torturous terrain?
  2. I was thinking a little on the small side, about the size of a Rav4?
  3. And the biggest issue, no more Isuzu dealers in the U.S., so in time replacement/repair parts will becoming more rare.
All-in-all, I have absolutely no regrets with our GX.
1. They are body-on-frame, not unibody.
2. Pretty small, I can't fit in one comfortably, not enough headroom.
3. Mechanical parts are generally available still (they are 20+ years old), but body panels and cladding can be hard to find.

If they had better headroom and a better place for an oversize spare tire I might have one. They are nimble and have great approach/breakover/departure angles, but are in no way as roomy as a GX. Not apples to apples IMO.

They are absolutely stellar offroad and on the frozen stuff and they look particularly narly modded. There's like a ton of sensors that are utilized to help out with the slippery stuff.

View attachment 3366189
Lol, somebody solid axle swapped that VX... they are IFS stock.

Dunno if I would say a "ton" of sensors, the Torque On Demand transfer case uses wheel speed sensors to determine distribution of power. They are full time 4WD, kinda like the GX.

I always wanted one . But at 6’4” I knew it would be a long drive issue . Yes they look so cool lifted and big tired. It’s great to see folks are still
Using and loving them.

Reactions: r2m
If they had better headroom and a better place for an oversize spare tire I might have one. They are nimble and have great approach/breakover/departure angles, but are in no way as roomy as a GX. Not apples to apples IMO.
Do they have worse options for an oversized spare than a GX? Is that possible!?

Lol, somebody solid axle swapped that VX... they are IFS stock.

That was part of the "mods" I was mentioning.

Dunno if I would say a "ton" of sensors, the Torque On Demand transfer case uses wheel speed sensors to determine distribution of power. They are full time 4WD, kinda like the GX.

12 sensors is "a ton" to a simpleton like me. LOL It's still a fantastic little thing and I want one for fun.

I think the spare tire issues is that you can't fit the hard shell over anything much larger than a stock tire.
Have to admit I don't know if you could hang a 33" or 35" tire off the rear and just leave the hard shell off.
In the pictures, one of the Vehicross's has the spare on top and the other has a trailer which could house their spare.

The stock spare fits in the tailgate, with no room for a larger one. And with that TOD transfer case, it is not a good idea to run a different size tire on one wheel. Most people carry the spare on the roof, but that is far from optimal.

A couple of people have shaved off the rear tailgate bulge and created internal structure and a mount for the spare on the outside of the tailgate, but serious fab skills are needed for that.

Buncha pics from my recent Silverton CO trip. The GX did well.

IMG_1540.jpeg
IMG_1573.jpeg
IMG_1567.jpeg
IMG_1259.jpeg
IMG_1547.jpeg

Looks great!

hi from MN also. just got a GX and wanted to subscribe to keep reading your adventures!
Congrats! :cheers:
It'll be just a wee bit quieter and more comfortable to drive than your FJ40.
MPG will be about the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom