Builds 11 GX460 "when I get around to it" build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few years back, we decided that we needed a bit more room, so traded out the wife's 08 Xterra (2" lift, 6 m/t, longtubes, and lots of custom metal work) for a 2011 GX460.

Took a while, but we found one with all the options we really wanted, plus the wife liked the wheels.

20220224_104808.jpg

IMG_6398a.JPG

Last edited:
First things first, we hate chrome. So in went an F sport grill, and I got busy with the 3m carbon fibah

IMG_6960a.JPG

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_7129.JPG

Did a few mild mods, Vline for android auto, ARK splash guards cause the OEM ones suck, and some basic maintenance.

Then the dreaded valley plate leak struck.

Took that opportunity to replace the entire cooling system, new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and all kinds of hoses

PXL_20231028_231552324.jpg

Since we had it ripped apart anyway, I decided to do a few other things while I was waiting on parts. Brakes are easy, and the wife likes purple, so blam.

PXL_20230716_234241920.jpg

PXL_20230716_234302997.jpg

Then I thought, well, the wheels are off, so why not lift it.

So on went a Dobinsons IMS with the heavy duty springs

PXL_20230909_203018335.jpg

PXL_20230910_212547881.jpg

And those springs would be a waste if they weren't carrying anything. Found a clean used Metal Tech rear bumper with the swing out, and scooped that up.

PXL_20230506_211325435.jpg

With a swing out spare, that also meant that I had to get a matching wheel so the wife could flex on the poors at Starbucks. That hurt my soul a bit, but again, do the kids really need collage?

PXL_20230930_203821461a.jpg

I was happy with the way I was able to adapt the rear OEM bumper trim onto the steel bumper, makes the back look much cleaner when you open it.

PXL_20230625_021644013.jpg

Reactions: r2m
Rear view camera was blocked, so I fabbed up a cover and mounted it with a plate bracket from Amazon. The plate bracket has a light too, so that made things easier.

The center hole needs to be bored out slightly, then the OEM rear camera fits.

PXL_20231004_002457322.jpg

PXL_20231004_002520733.jpg

The rear bumper was lonely, so I hit up Victory for a shiny new front bumper as well.

PXL_20230923_010334379.jpg

Cutting the front bumper cover was a little nerve wracking.
Did I mention that my wife likes purple?

PXL_20230923_001420158.jpg
PXL_20230923_001622343.jpg

I had a badlands winch laying around in the garage, so I tossed that in. Wired remote access through the front bumper, and a keyed power cutoff at the battery.

PXL_20230923_001343517.jpg
PXL_20230923_000557870.jpg

And now y'all are caught up on the 3 years worth of work I've done while lurking around this forum. Just turned about 120,000 miles, did a few more maintenance items (trans and all driveline fluids). Wouldn't mind some lockers, but that would mean that I need bigger axles, so we will see.

Need a couple of beauty shots of it with all your mods.
Side, and three quarter views?

Awesome stuff so far. How's the build quality on the Victory rear bumper?

Have to throw this here in response to the way you wrote up the build:
View attachment 3528678
The rear is metal tech, the front is a victory. I'm pretty happy with both so far, they both went on well and mostly straight. The metal tech rear was slightly tweaked, but the previous owner smacked it pretty good and I knew that when I bought it. I'm probably the only one that would notice it.

And yeah, it looks quick spelled out, but that's 3 years worth of mods in one page. I just finally got around to posting it :rofl:

When you have multiple rigs, you don't always want an onboard air compressor. Built this setup a while back, goes in the off road kit.

Maxi Trac air compressor modded with a standard QD fitting, better wire, and high pressure shutoff switch
20220123_193904.jpg

And a four way inflate/deflate setup with a liquid filled gauge and a bucket boss bag to keep things organized. It does have hose clamps, I bought the wrong ones initially and was waiting to get some more when I took that pic.

20220123_175432.jpg

20220123_175305.jpg

This setup allows me to inflate 1 or all 4 tires at once to any pressure, and deflate any or all to any pressure. The other cool thing I can do with it, if the air compressor dies and you have one flat, you can hook up the lines to all the tires and it will equalize them enough to drive on with no power. I've used this for the last couple years on all my rigs, and it has no problems even when I'm filling the tires on my HD truck up to 80psi. I've also got a couple of other fittings for inflating or cleaning, and a smaller hose dedicated for random work. The high pressure cutoff switch is probably the best thing I did to the compressor, keeps it from winding itself out at high pressure when I'm working on stuff.

I built my own 4 tire inflation system also, but I used these Haltec valve chucks.
They are way more secure than the ones you presently have, been there with those other chucks. Also, these chucks will shut off the air when you remove them from the tire so you're not loosing air from the other tires when you remove one of the valve chucks.

I built my own 4 tire inflation system also, but I used these Haltec valve chucks.
They are way more secure than the ones you presently have, been there with those other chucks. Also, these chucks will shut off the air when you remove them from the tire so you're not loosing air from the other tires when you remove one of the valve chucks.
I've been meaning to get those (or something similar) for my Viair for ages, thanks for the reminder!

I've been meaning to get those (or something similar) for my Viair for ages, thanks for the reminder!
When you order them, be sure you get the ones that have the shut-off valve in them other wise when you pull the chuck off your valve stem, you'll still be blowing air out from your airline, whether it's straight from your compressor or to three other tires, you'll lose air.
Haltec has the same chuck with flow through and they look the same.

I'll post this again:
For those who want to build their own 4 tire inflation system I detailed parts list for either 1/4" or 3/8" tubing on my build thread starting at post #641:

These have the air shut off in them as well. Those chucks look pretty solid though to. If I break these (im a few years and a BDR into them with no problems), I'll check them out

Ronin Metal works ditch light brackets

I am not a fan of glare, so hood mounted ditch lights are not on my list of things I wanted. But then I saw the brackets from Ronin, and figured that I would give them a shot.

The good: Nicely cut and powder coated part. I wouldn't have minded if they were a bit smaller, but these will fit a variety of lights.
Also, everything is tucked nicely around the mirror, even when folded.

PXL_20240325_174652250.jpg

PXL_20240325_174701096.jpg

The bad: This isn't Ronin's fault. The clearances on all these parts are very Lexus. You probably should cut a channel to run the wiring behind the mirror housing, I just didn't torque it down all the way. Sub optimal, but I don't have access to my regular shop. Also, running the wiring through the door is going to suck, I need to source some odds and ends to do it right, so it's going to be a bit until I actually finish the install.

PXL_20240325_173035938.jpg

Ronin Metal works ditch light brackets

I am not a fan of glare, so hood mounted ditch lights are not on my list of things I wanted. But then I saw the brackets from Ronin, and figured that I would give them a shot.

The good: Nicely cut and powder coated part. I wouldn't have minded if they were a bit smaller, but these will fit a variety of lights.
Also, everything is tucked nicely around the mirror, even when folded.

View attachment 3590991
View attachment 3590992

The bad: This isn't Ronin's fault. The clearances on all these parts are very Lexus. You probably should cut a channel to run the wiring behind the mirror housing, I just didn't torque it down all the way. Sub optimal, but I don't have access to my regular shop. Also, running the wiring through the door is going to suck, I need to source some odds and ends to do it right, so it's going to be a bit until I actually finish the install.

View attachment 3591000
Looks like lots of lighting options from the top picture showing some unused slots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom