What have I done….New GX owner. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a YotaWerx 87 octane tune on my 470. It made a big difference in midrange torque, but I also have LT headers, exhaust, and a cold air intake. The 2UZ in a 470 has much better availability for aftermarket engine mods than a 460; mine drives completely different than a stock GX and has plenty of power.

I personally wouldn't bother much with 460 engine upgrades outside of a tune. Until someone comes up with a set of headers for this engine in this platform it's going to be very bottlenecked by the restrictive OEM exhaust manifolds (which look nearly identical to the terrible manifolds on a 2UZ in a 470). Just enjoy it as-is and realize it's not a fast rig, but still much better than a 1GR in a 4Runner, and is very reliable.

I have a YotaWerx 87 octane tune on my 470. It made a big difference in midrange torque, but I also have LT headers, exhaust, and a cold air intake. The 2UZ in a 470 has much better availability for aftermarket engine mods than a 460; mine drives completely different than a stock GX and has plenty of power.

I personally wouldn't bother much with 460 engine upgrades outside of a tune. Until someone comes up with a set of headers for this engine in this platform it's going to be very bottlenecked by the restrictive OEM exhaust manifolds (which look nearly identical to the terrible manifolds on a 2UZ in a 470). Just enjoy it as-is and realize it's not a fast rig, but still much better than a 1GR in a 4Runner, and is very reliable.
Y'all need to spend some time with a 2F powered FJ60...

300+ hp is plenty. My 460 will do 100mph on the freeway no problem.

Y'all need to spend some time with a 2F powered FJ60...

300+ hp is plenty. My 460 will do 100mph on the freeway no problem.
I think your 460's 300 HP is close to what my 470 is now making. Mine now pulls like a freight train :). Perhaps it's a bit better in the 470 which is lighter than a 460 and has a different torque curve.

Perhaps to better clarify, Toyota's restrictive OEM exhaust manifolds and muffler, coupled with a conservative tune, leave a lot on the table with their V8 engines.

Note: the only difference with a pedal commander is throttle response. You're not going to get any more gitty-up 'n go than you do now, you'll just get a far more responsive access to your ponies. It's taken me a long time to realize I have to mash the throttle to dig into more horsepower when passing or accelerating.
YOU'LL GET MORE GETTY-UP AND GO WITH A LOT LESS EFFORT FROM YOUR FOOT.
It changes the driving experience compltely
Sorry , did not realize I had caps on .
R2M has never experienced a P.C.

Acknowledged, never have tried a P.C.
Did a 4 banger to V8 conversion in my old '74 Chevy Vega in my early 20's. THAT gave me a thrill when I put my foot into it!:D

I had a PC on mine for a while. Ended up sending it back. It did drive more like I would expect but it also decreased my MPGs. Instead, I am teaching myself to be more aggressive on the throttle when I want it but I’ll admit the GX has some of the worst throttle response I’ve ever driven.

For close to the same price as a PC you can get a tune - which does more good anyway :).

Does the PC make the cruise work a little better?
For close to the same price as a PC you can get a tune - which does more good anyway :).
I wouldn't put something like a Pedal Commander and a Tune in the same category unless the tune is via a removable hand held unit like you can get for a WRX

Does the PC make the cruise work a little better?

I wouldn't put something like a Pedal Commander and a Tune in the same category unless the tune is via a removable hand held unit like you can get for a WRX
You can go back to the stock tune at any time. It takes <15 minutes to tune one with a Windows laptop. Not as easy as something like a Cobb access port for a Subie, as it requires VF Tuner - which you get a single-vehicle license for with the tune - and the laptop - but it's super-easy overall. Probably less work than having to lean down under the dash to plug in or unplug the PC.
GX_ECU_Tuning.png

You can go back to the stock tune at any time. It takes <15 minutes to tune one with a Windows laptop. Not as easy as something like a Cobb access port for a Subie, as it requires VF Tuner - which you get a single-vehicle license for with the tune - and the laptop - but it's super-easy overall. Probably less work than having to lean down under the dash to plug in or unplug the PC.
View attachment 3410235
Is this a yotawerx tune?

View attachment 3410235
I've an email out to them regarding a tune for the GX, did you notice better throttle response with it? I know they work on the mid range tq/hp from what I could find and people seem happy with it.
Also, do you load the tune through a OBD connected to the PC?

I've an email out to them regarding a tune for the GX, did you notice better throttle response with it? I know they work on the mid range tq/hp from what I could find and people seem happy with it.
Also, do you load the tune through a OBD connected to the PC?
Throttle response was about the same, but the 2UZ-FE in my GX had pretty good throttle response to begin with (I think the throttle mapping in the 1UR is totally different). I noticed sizeable increases in overall midrange power - the GX really runs very very well now and pulls our camper great. Passing on a two lane road is also fairly impressive on it. I also have the exhaust mods that aren't available for a 460 that probably compounded the effects of the tune.

Yes, you use an OBDII to USB adapter connected to the Windows laptop. I bought this version of the tune so I could change the tune at any time myself. They also have a network of folks who will meet you in a parking lot to install the tune but I had zero interest in that. They gave me 2 different regular octane tunes and two different premium fuel tunes. I'm using the most aggressive 87 octane tune - I may try the 93 at some point but the GX runs so good now I'm not sure it's worth the extra $0.50/gallon to get more out of it.

Again - your experience on a stock 460 may vary, but it was a good investment for my modified 470.

I actually got to the point I could do it by feel with my veloster and that was a really unforgiving position to reach.

Depending on if I have to Smog a vehicle will usually determine if I would run a tune, regardless with the ease it can be undone if it's not through a secondary box.

While I will admit my vehicle ECU experience is almost none, I work with electronics for a living and I wouldn't want to be futzing with it for annual inspections.

I realize that depending on the tune, it may not be detected and it may even run cleaner, it's just totally something I would stress about.

I actually got to the point I could do it by feel with my veloster and that was a really unforgiving position to reach.

Depending on if I have to Smog a vehicle will usually determine if I would run a tune, regardless with the ease it can be undone if it's not through a secondary box.

While I will admit my vehicle ECU experience is almost none, I work with electronics for a living and I wouldn't want to be futzing with it for annual inspections.

I realize that depending on the tune, it may not be detected and it may even run cleaner, it's just totally something I would stress about.
I was worried about bricking my ECU as well, but was pretty surprised with how painless it was. For my specific application it was a good upgrade - but again I don't have a 460 so I'm not sure how well it is/is not worth it. We have zero smog testing down here in the Ozarks and a pretty minimal biennial safety inspection so it's not really an issue in my area.

8 days ago , I purchased a 2018 GX and as I am drivinf around , I am thinking I could get used to the pedal as it is .

Well , that ended to day , I am getting another P.C. for my 2018 GX .
It awful the way it come from the factory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom