Water Leak in Back of Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig is getting tired I guess. Not the drive train but everything else. Between rust and rot and plastic breaking down now I'm dealing with water leaking into the back of my truck in the cargo area along the back hatch. I wasn't really concerned with it during the summer while it was warm and probably it was drying out before I wanted to do something about it, but now especially during deer hunting season I have found some of my gear and clothes getting wet and the smell of mildew is not a good thing. I've wanted to get into the back while someone showers the outside of my truck with a garden hose. The problem now here in the NE most including myself have all outside water turned off due to freezing temps. I have not been able to find where the water is coming in from. There are no signs of leakage anywhere other than the carpet is always soaked after it rains.

Are there common areas that break down over time that should be where I might start to look 1st?

roof rack or the rear window wind deflector look at all those attachment points rust like to hide there

My rear windshield washer soaks the carpet if I try to use it. Is it possible you hit it when using the rear wipers during the rain? That would explain why you don’t see water intrusion from the seals/windshield area.

My rear windshield washer soaks the carpet if I try to use it. Is it possible you hit it when using the rear wipers during the rain? That would explain why you don’t see water intrusion from the seals/windshield area.
No way, my rear wiper died about 3 years ago.

roof rack or the rear window wind deflector look at all those attachment points rust like to hide there
Interesting, but inside there isn't any evidence were the leak is coming in.

I was getting wet carpet in the cargo area. I replaced the large weather seal that goes around the entire hatch opening. When I removed the old one, it was torn in 4 places that I couldn't see and parts of the pinch weld were starting to rust. Cleaned it all up and installed the new seal. It's water tight, the hatch closes nicely, and there's less interior noise.

I was getting wet carpet in the cargo area. I replaced the large weather seal that goes around the entire hatch opening. When I removed the old one, it was torn in 4 places that I couldn't see and parts of the pinch weld were starting to rust. Cleaned it all up and installed the new seal. It's water tight, the hatch closes nicely, and there's less interior noise.
How much was the seal and did you get it from a dealer?

How much was the seal and did you get it from a dealer?
Don't remember how much and I got it from the same place I get all my parts.
@beno
I think it's 67881-60060, but not certain.

Last edited:
My rig is getting tired I guess. Not the drive train but everything else. Between rust and rot and plastic breaking down now I'm dealing with water leaking into the back of my truck in the cargo area along the back hatch. I wasn't really concerned with it during the summer while it was warm and probably it was drying out before I wanted to do something about it, but now especially during deer hunting season I have found some of my gear and clothes getting wet and the smell of mildew is not a good thing. I've wanted to get into the back while someone showers the outside of my truck with a garden hose. The problem now here in the NE most including myself have all outside water turned off due to freezing temps. I have not been able to find where the water is coming in from. There are no signs of leakage anywhere other than the carpet is always soaked after it rains.

Are there common areas that break down over time that should be where I might start to look 1st?

Did this get resolved? I thought I had fixed my issue, but found wet carpet today. Had pulled it in the garage to wire up a new trailer light converter and found a bunch of moisture in the carpet along the tailgate.

It is my observation that the seals/gaskets are starting to dry out inside or behind all these little trim pieces under the windows with the age of these rigs.

My first attempt involved pulling the trim from under the rear sliding windows and using a dab of silicone around the penetrations. It seemed to work but I'm still getting moisture in similar areas, as it turns out. One of the spots is the jack stowage and the corresponding spot on the passenger side. Today I pulled the "rear ventilator and roof ventilator" trim pieces after performing my ice bucket challenge test on it. I might do a similar solution where those penetrations are. I'm hoping this fixes it, but at this point I wont be surprised it there are other places that water is getting in.

80 series rear vent.jpg

I did take a scotch brite pad along with some WD40 and really clean the rear window and door (gate) seal. The carpet in the back seems to be dry now but I will have to keep an eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom