Rain Water Accumulating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I seem to have a leak possibly from the sun roof and it's leaking down the front driver's side and sounds like a lot of water has accumulated somewhere. It mostly sounds like it is sloshing in the rear but it's really hard to tell. Does anyone know where water tends to accumulate if you have a leak? I need to find a way to drain it.

Thanks

Clean your sun roof drains with some weed eater cord. Retract the sunroof and look in each from corner there are drain holes in each corner you can run some wire down about 8 feet is enough. The water drains out under your two front doors in 2 small creases. It helps to have the front down hill and fill the drain area up with water then run the cord down and watch it drain out, sometimes you have to wash under each front door and run zip ties up to clear the slits out.
If you are hearing water in the rear pop your rear plastic covers and take a look. It’s common for the rear window louvers to leak and let water into your rear quarter panels.

All above plus: get on your back under the vehicle and look up and in at the backside of the rocker panels to find the slit drains, four total slits on each side at the very bottom inside aspect of the rocker panels. Hot soapy water in a plastic bottle poured slowly into both sides of the sunroof drain pan may help clean out any muck.

You can carefully remove a couple of rubber plugs on the backside of the rocker panels to let the cavites dry out. Once they're clean and dry you could spray 3M Cavity wax into the rocker panel cavities to help protect against future rust. Replace the rubber plugs when it's all done.

Last edited:
All above plus: get on your back under the vehicle and look up and in at the backside of the rocker panels to find the slit drains, four total slits on each side at the very bottom inside aspect of the rocker panels. Hot soapy water in a plastic bottle poured slowly into both side of the sunroof drain pan may help clean out any muck.

You can carefully remove a couple of rubber plugs on the backside of the rocker panels to let the cavites dry out. Once they're clean and dry you could spray 3M Cavity wax into the rocker panel cavities to help protect against future rust. Replace the rubber plugs when it's all done.
I imagine that's a "little dab'll do ya" kind of a job. I could see someone getting carried away and literally plugging the slit drains with that stuff. Not saying it's not a good idea, but maybe double check after you're done and poke them open again if necessary.

Yeah, you want the slit-D rocker panels drains open. Mud - of all things - gets packed in there, too and will keep the rockers from draining. Use a large zip-tie as a safe way to poke them open if clogged.

Just to be really clear what's going on, the two front sunroof drains intentionally drain into the rocker panels, so they tend to fill it up and slosh around when it gets plugged up, instead of properly draining out those slits. That's the most likely source of sloshing noises.

This topic is fairly covered, if you want to use Google to search and find some visuals and further details, but great responses here.

I had a combination of leaks that lead to both front floor carpets being soaked, and rearmost passenger corner leak. Poked around in the drain slits under front rocker panels - passenger side didn't yield anything, but dirty water came gushing out the driver side. Skinny paper clip worked better for me than a small zip tie. They are very tiny drains, easily clogged. Could be a better design, really. I rerouted my sunroof drain hoses through the floor plugs. The hoses are behind the kick panel trim on each side, and the drain holes are so close that you can put the hose through them and still put the trim back on. The hose is just a hair smaller than the hole, so it's not a squeeze, nor a gap. That's just the way I did it. No longer relies on the rocker panel drains, just the wide sunroof tubes that can't clog nearly as easily.

Also doesn't hurt to take a look at the paint on your roof. I had a corroded spot I went to fix, and upon grinding to clean metal, there was a pea-sized hole. I then inspected a couple other areas of spider cracking in the paint, ground them with the intention of repainting, but also found a couple more small holes. Dealt with those properly, and all was well.

While you're at it, check your windshield seal. Water tends to pool at the bottom corners, and runs down, giving similar symptoms to clogged front rock or drains. I did all of these things and never saw another drop. Regarding the rear sloshing sound, I don't have much experience with leaks at the back other than the corner I mentioned, but it never pooled anywhere.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I didn't understand the sunroof was draining into the rocker panel area and potentially clogged there. I also didn't know the rear windows had drains. I actually have a repair from the PO that I assumed was covering some rust but I may need to look at this more closely. Unfortunately, it's not silicon in the picture. It's a fairly hard material between the window seal and the belt molding.

signal-2024-01-12-082208.jpeg

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I didn't understand the sunroof was draining into the rocker panel area and potentially clogged there. I also didn't know the rear windows had drains. I actually have a repair from the PO that I assumed was covering some rust but I may need to look at this more closely. Unfortunately, it's not silicon in the picture. It's a fairly hard material between the window seal and the belt molding.
if i had to guess, that "fix" was an attempt to prevent water getting into the quarter panel. those belt trim pieces snap into holes in the body, sealed by a gasket. there are 3 or 4 of them. well those gaskets get old and let some water in.

but the bigger culprit is out of the picture. the L shaped louvers. those are also held on by clips and a screw, with similar gaskets that age. mine was leaking pretty significantly from there and getting the jack holder very wet. lots of threads on this subject too.

but the bigger culprit is out of the picture. the L shaped louvers. those are also held on by clips and a screw, with similar gaskets that age. mine was leaking pretty significantly from there and getting the jack holder very wet. lots of threads on this subject too.
Thanks, I didn't notice a gasket in the parts picture but will go back and check again. It's raining now so I should be able to easily the spare jack compartment for water as well.

Be sure your door fuel bladders are full to prevent sloshing or alternately, you could drain them completely. This is often overlooked as a source of sloshing.

Be sure your door fuel bladders are full to prevent sloshing or alternately, you could drain them completely. This is often overlooked as a source of sloshing.
I couldn't find an OEM fuel bladder so I decided against installing them. It's a shame I didn't find that thread earlier.

On the rear louver gasket: I found some threads saying it wasn't available for sale separately but I did end up finding what appears to be what is needed. Partsouq didn't have it but my local dealer's website allowed me to order it so we'll see. It was $10 for all four.

Thanks to everyone on this thread. You're correct that I actually have multiple leaks based on what I am seeing.

9018904035, 90189-04035

9018904035.jpg

that’s just messed up man…😂

So, this water was in the rocker panel and poured out once I pulled the round plugs. I did put the weed eater cord in from the sun roof and didn't notice much of an obstruction. Soapy water leaked through down to the weld pinches under the truck. Those slits weren't clogged as far I could tell.

Should the hose in the driver's front A pillar be loose or tethered to the something at the bottom/end of the hose?

I am only seeing water in the driver's floor mat after several hours of heavy rain. I may need to take the hose to the windshield to see if that's the problem.

Water in the front foot wells is very often from a windshield leak IME.
A large leak from the sunroof can do it also if the drain pan overflows.
Less common is if the vapor barrier in a front door is torn or missing, then rain water that normally trickles inside, down, and out the door cavity can drip out from behind the door panel and out onto the floor.

Has your windshield ever been replaced (check the lower right corner to check the manufacturer)?

Less common is if the vapor barrier in a front door is torn or missing, …

Has your windshield ever been replaced (check the lower right corner to check the manufacturer)?
The water seems to be originating from a higher position in that left corner of the foot well. The last couple days of rain didn’t result in any water inside. it seems to take quite a bit of rain.

I was working inside that door a year ago but I’ll need to check that I didn’t screw up the vapor barrier.

The door belt molding is cracked but I am still waiting on the parts from Japan to save a few bucks.

The windshield is OEM glass. There’s nothing obvious that makes me think it was ever replaced.

Thanks for giving me a few more things to think about.

A hopefully helpful note about the louvered vent covers:

I replaced mine last year and it was a bit of a pain. I had to order new ones and the rubber gasket along the edges was so poorly attached that it almost entirely came off as I tried to get the rear quarter window weatherstripping to overlap. I ended up having to use black rubber weatherstripping cement to reattach the louver gasket. Once that set up I was able to get it all back together but it was painstakingly slow. I had to use a lot of silicone grease and a couple of plastic trim tools to get the rear quarter window weatherstripping positioned properly.

A hopefully helpful note about the louvered vent covers:

I replaced mine last year and it was a bit of a pain. I had to order new ones and the rubber gasket along the edges was so poorly attached that it almost entirely came off as I tried to get the rear quarter window weatherstripping to overlap.
So, there’s a gasket around the bolts that I have on order. Is there is also a gasket needed around the vent itself? I think that’s what you’re describing.

Sounds like sealing the holes through the interior with gaskets / sealant won’t be enough?

what he is describing is the rubber rim along the leading edge of the louver. it was glued/taped on originally, but looking at it wrong and it will detach. i dont think it is available without ordering the whole louver.

when i R&R'd my drivers side louver recently, i decided i'd try with what i had on hand. 3m weather strip caulk was what i used. rolled small donuts for all the securing clips and nuts. and rolled long thing strips to re-secure the rubber rim piece all the way around.

re-installing it was a delicate procedure to keep that piece attached while trying to get it under the window gasket. old hotel key cards and soapy water were my tools. i was mostly successful.

So, there’s a gasket around the bolts that I have on order. Is there is also a gasket needed around the vent itself? I think that’s what you’re describing.

Sounds like sealing the holes through the interior with gaskets / sealant won’t be enough?
What I’m referring to is the plastic louvered vent cover has a rubber edge/gasket/ weatherstripping. It doesn’t seal out all water but it certainly cuts down on it.

IMG_5452.jpeg

I can't believe I read through the entire thread...again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom