Water in Passenger Footwell (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My guess: Maybe leaks are more prevalent on vehicles that have had a windshield replacement where the cowl has been disturbed? I can't find any markings on my windshield, so I assume it was replaced by a prior owner. The windshield doesn't leak, but I suspect that the foam bits on the cowl, once compressed on the initial install, don't expand back out to their original thickness and leave small gaps. Total guess...
My cowl was pretty loose before i put new weather stripping in. The new weather stripping made for a much more solid fitment of the cowl and it doesn't move at all anymore. I suspect my windshield is original. I'm sure previous owners were troubleshooting the leak, as my trim pieces on the windshield have been removed. So they possibly made the leak worse trying to fix it unsuccessfully.

can confirm a new cowl fixed my problem. be sure you let the water soaked areas and carpet completely dry before putting it all back together.

On your picture here... Wouldn't be better to cap off the top and just take a hole saw and drill some holes on the side with some screen over the holes for critters.

I would think Side holes would provide enough air flow and not let in heavy rain?

But I am curious why some get this and not others. I have had mine in several tropical storms and hurricane conditions and have not had that leak.
I wouldn’t want to lower the level of the highest point at all. A lot of water can get in that area, and the drains on the sides possibly clogged with leaves and things they get around the wiper arm holes. Or if the passenger drain is clogged, and parked tilted toward the right.

A shield to keep water from directly pouring in seems good.

I agree this probably has to do with the foam becoming compressed. Also seems like a strange lapse in design abilities from toyota..

Now I want to get into mine to check it. I had a factory windshield put on by a great installer late last year. No issues so far, but as far as I know the cowl is original 2013, with plenty of years parked outside.

Does this seem like the right part:
1651773132526.png

Do other cars have the electronics in the same, exposed position as the 200 does? I like the tell-tale of the water on the floor, but I wish a stuck drain wouldn't put water in to the junction panels.
Use the plastic wire from a weed whipper. About 8ft will do - just feed it down all 4 holes. Doesn’t take much to clog a drain tube.
Note - there are also 2 cowl drain holes beneath the windshield that can clog.

Note - there are also 2 cowl drain holes beneath the windshield that can clog.
Good reminder to check these.

I dumped more than a gallon of water into mine and it poured out the drain holes behind the wheels.

Does this seem like the right part: View attachment 3001094
There is also a 55708-60101 for our trucks. The -60091 part has a "WITHOUT (COLD AREA SPEC)" footnote. No footnote on the -60101 number. Not sure whether that has to do with wiper heaters, or something else?

This is a case where talking to a parts counter and giving them your VIN may be beneficial.

Thank you!

Lastly, DO NOT try to cover up the HVAC opening w/ some sort of barrier.
I post a pic advising people not to cover up this area like I once experimented.
In my case, the air flaw greatly greatly reduced when using my HVAC fan (like 1/3 of air flow compare to before).
Also, the water soon find its way back into the HVAC inlet anyway.
Again, new cowl is needed in most cases but new cheap gasket from Lowes might work... you just have to try and see what works best for you.

FYI, I only paid $214 shipped during recent Toyota part sale.

**Do not cover up like this**
IMG_2535.jpg

Replacing the entire plastic part when it's just some adhesive-lined foam rubber that is the issue seems unnecessary. We need someone with some industry experience in foam rubber types to help us source this stuff.

Charlie.. when you get your new cowl, can you take measurements on the foam that is there?appears to be a couple different dimension types. Or anyone that has a new one sitting around.

With that I'll go down the rabbit hole of trying to determine what Toyota used on this.

Replacing the entire plastic part when it's just some adhesive-lined foam rubber that is the issue seems unnecessary. We need someone with some industry experience in foam rubber types to help us source this stuff.

Charlie.. when you get your new cowl, can you take measurements on the foam that is there?appears to be a couple different dimension types. Or anyone that has a new one sitting around.

With that I'll go down the rabbit hole of trying to determine what Toyota used on this.
My biggest issue was the uneven rubber seal that press against the windshield.
At one point, I even used the automotive sealant, but it didn't work...

IMG_1463.jpg

If memory serves me right, that entire area underneath the cowl can handle a lot of water because it just drains toward the wheel wells on either side. The only exception is directly above the fresh air intake. The part of the cowl that mates above that fresh air intake does have grooves to facilitate drainage except for that one to two inch gap.

In the photo @kwelhand posted of the old and new cowl, there is an additional foam piece underneath that same gap that I didn't have on mine. It's also the same place where I added additional foam.

I still have a habit of checking the passenger door well after some decent rain and so far it's held up.

Now I wonder if it was ever there originally or a new thing they added.

I’ve had the exact same issue for the last 2.5-3 years with my truck. Every time I park it facing downhill (towards the street from my garage), I get water build up on the passenger side rubber mat. I’ve complained to the dealership multiple times and they repeatedly tell me, you swapped the windshield—which is garbage b/c I have NOT—I’m the only owner And the toyota logos are on the windshield. I’ve even taken my wife’s 200 in with mine and pointed out that its the same damn windshield. They’ve been absolutely no help.

I’m going to look into this cowl replacement trick. Until then, I’m I’ll continue to park the truck “uphill” and hope that I’m not going to be screwed when it comes to the electronics.

Thanks for the part #. Just ordered now from toyotapartsdeal.com. it was $295.64 plus $11.04 shipping to CT. I too also tried putting in a gasket type of foam last year. It just seem to slow the leak down. Cleared sunroof drains and still leak under heavy rain. Hoping this will solve it. 2008 LC

I finally found time to pull the cowl off, and it seems clear that the only way water is getting into the cabin in that area is through the top of that gaping hole into the hvac.

I definitely see areas above that opening where the foam is compressed, and can see the gap you all are talking about. The compressed foam is visible to the naked eye, but is hard to photograph.

I'm going to give the adhesive foam a try, and expect that I'll probably need a cowl eventually. Maybe next time mrT has a big sale. :)

Like others, I don't get why there isn't some sort of cover over that opening. Like maybe a chimney cap kind of arrangement where air can get around the sides...

9E10B7B2-8CE0-4E6E-9538-FC4B25701499.jpeg
E9038A0B-EEDD-4F39-88D1-1015C58AB31F.jpeg
513C9EA7-28EC-4EF8-8786-A7A05CEF3161.jpeg

I finally found time to pull the cowl off, and it seems clear that the only way water is getting into the cabin in that area is through the top of that gaping hole into the hvac.

I definitely see areas above that opening where the foam is compressed, and can see the gap you all are talking about. The compressed foam is visible to the naked eye, but is hard to photograph.

I'm going to give the adhesive foam a try, and expect that I'll probably need a cowl eventually. Maybe next time mrT has a big sale. :)

Like others, I don't get why there isn't some sort of cover over that opening. Like maybe a chimney cap kind of arrangement where air can get around the sides...

View attachment 3002221View attachment 3002223View attachment 3002225
The first pic w/ dirt residue pretty much shows your issue & origin.

The first pic w/ dirt residue pretty much shows your issue & origin.
Could you expand on that thought?

I use this offroad a lot. And about half of its road use is secondary dirt roads. Plus i've recently driven some beach sand too.

Are there visual indications of the cause?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom