WARN 8274...show what ya got! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep. I don't think I'd carry a saw with less than a 24" bar on it and some wedges. Be a hell of a mess if you got it pinched in those logs.

I found a bar and chain stuck in a log, the guy must have unbolted the power head and left...he was probably thinking about his life choices as he drove away..lol

I found a bar and chain stuck in a log, the guy must have unbolted the power head and left...he was probably thinking about his life choices as he drove away..lol

Haha.....

Yeah, couple of wedges and a hammer/short axe (and knowing when to use them) will prevent that. No need for a second saw to cut yourself out if you get stuck (it happens). But its amazing how many folks don't understand the dynamics of cutting wood and 'tension and compression'.

After looking for a decent deal for better than a year, and missing out on several, I'm pretty glad I was patient.

Local FB Marketplace 8274 was for sale for $850, then dropped to $600. I went out to look and he had two there. I offered him $400 for the better of the two, he accepted, then as we talked, offered to sell them both for $600. I tried for about 30 seconds to talk myself out of it, then happily handed over the cash and loaded them up.

Got home and started really looking at them, then called Warn today. They confirmed with the old guy in the back that the date code and serial number of the better of the two is a 1974, first year of the 8274 model. Perfect for the front of my 1974 FJ40. And, the dirtier of the two looks like it should clean up nicely and probably sell for more than I paid for both. Or sit in my garage until I can talk the wife into another Cruiser.

Pictures or it didn’t happen.👍😁👍

Out smashing around chasing parts for our 85 build. Guy has this... He told me had like 42 at one point . So far haven't been able to pry one from him.

PXL_20210604_182528926.jpg

Here's mine on home built bumper. Found it on CL cheap. Low serial number I think from early 70's? I freshened it up a couple times over the years. Just got 100 feet of 3/8" Master pull XD synthetic line for free from a buddy. Love it.

IMG_20200321_181247174.jpg

IMG_20200321_181150786.jpg

Here's mine on home built bumper. Found it on CL cheap. Low serial number I think from early 70's?

The 8274 debuted in 1974, so it's got to be that or later. There is (or was) a date code on it, 3 or 4 digits alphanumeric. It has a later (post 1980) controller plug on it, but maybe you put that one later.

Thanks for the info 1911. I haven't changed anything in it so it must be 1980's.

It's been quite a while since I got it. I just remember trying to find the correct parts based on the serial number. I'll have to go get the number and do some checking.

Scott

Now you have me wondering. I think it did have a metal plug on it that was messed up. I don't remember for sure. I'm going to have to see if I can find a date stamp. Still a great winch.

I'm going to have to see if I can find a date stamp.

The date code on mine (JM8 = October 1978) is at the bottom of the original label, but like the serial number, stamped into the the upper gear case:

IMG_1862[1].JPG

Keyed vs splined motor is also a tell.
The Kent vs Clackamas on the label as well.
What is the date difference between Kent v Clackamas labeling?

I have an HJ9 with Kent, so assuming Aug 10 ’79 or ‘89 (?). Mine has been reworked some w an aftermarket control box cover. Haven‘t dug much further into it yet.

What is the date difference between Kent v Clackamas labeling?

I have an HJ9 with Kent, so assuming Aug 10 ’79 or ‘89 (?). Mine has been reworked some w an aftermarket control box cover. Haven‘t dug much further into it yet.

Got my bumper painted and installed. To have a better approach angle we moved the winch into the grill area a little. With the quads I had to get a Toyota grill instead of the Lexus grill so at least I have my original untouched. Painted the headlight buckets and grill as well. Just need to buy the blinker lights for the quads and I'll be set. The bumper was made by a local guy that has great fabrication skills. He designed everything around the lights and winch. He 3D scanned the front and the winch so we were able to go from there and know exactly how far back the winch would sit. I'm super happy with it and I can't wait to go hit something with it...lol

8274 1.jpg

8274 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom