WARN 8274...show what ya got! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'll be doing a rebuild with new motor and Albright contactor. This one will go a FJ60. I've almost completed a similar rebuild on another 8274 that will be going back on the FJ40.

Good man to save it and bring it back to life.

Curious about this. Care to share contactor info?

@flintknapper posted the link where I detailed my conversion.

I used a Superwinch contactor, that is NLA. These days, you have a choice of Warn or genuine Albright contactors. There is a thread in this forum where someone posted a current source in the U.S. for the British-made Albright contactors; I'll try and find it tomorrow (about to go to bed now).

I used a Superwinch contactor, that is NLA. These days, you have a choice of Warn or genuine Albright contactors. There is a thread in this forum where someone posted a current source in the U.S. for the British-made Albright contactors; I'll try and find it tomorrow (about to go to bed now).
^^^^

Man....me too. Six days and Nights of dealing with this damn snow and ice has just about worn me out.

built several 8274 using the superwinches contactor, like 1911 said its NLA. Instead of overpaying the warn one i took a gamble and bought on amazon. see link Amazon product ASIN B07X7KQNXH
No issues so far and I had it about 6 months. I pulled out a couple of tree trunks so far so good.

I have one for both cruisers. I rebuilt the one on my 40 a year ago. Both work great and look awesome. I’ve replaced both steel cables with synthetic rope.
046CE5A7-6431-4229-86E8-2124F1CC8367.jpeg

D8B620BC-E554-46CE-A34A-7242EE080FD4.jpeg

CF3AB7D2-7676-4F22-98AE-426CD909E38C.jpeg

built several 8274 using the superwinches contactor, like 1911 said its NLA. Instead of overpaying the warn one i took a gamble and bought on amazon. see link Amazon product ASIN B07X7KQNXH
No issues so far and I had it about 6 months. I pulled out a couple of tree trunks so far so good.

That is the one I was thinking of, probably from a post by you; thanks!

Looks like a genuine Albright, not a (Chinese?) knock-off like the Superwinch one may have been.

Last edited:
Please please please stop using Amazon.
Here is the same guy on ebay and i can provide you with a direct link or phone via pm.

Whats the deal with amazon? I think I’ve bought them from both.

$75 winch has been broken down. Process started with cutting the motor shaft because it was frozen to the bearing. Someone had had the top case off previously and reattached using regular nuts instead of square nuts. I'll replace with square nuts. Gear oil was old and slightly contaminated but the gears look good. Now all it will take to reassemble is cleaning, $$, and time.

IMG_5778.jpg
IMG_5776.JPG

$75 winch has been broken down. Process started with cutting the motor shaft because it was frozen to the bearing.

View attachment 2592263

Since you will be replacing the motor and pinion gear anyway, I highly recommend the 9.5XP motor, it really makes a huge very noticeable improvement. It will be the most expensive part of your whole winch, but worth it!

Bead blaster would make quick work of that.

8274R1.jpg

Since you will be replacing the motor and pinion gear anyway, I highly recommend the 9.5XP motor, it really makes a huge very noticeable improvement. It will be the most expensive part of your whole winch, but worth it!

That's the plan. This is the one that came on my '77 FJ40 that I'm wrapping up. Just need to wire up the Albright contactor and remount on the 40.

IMG_5780.JPG

Was perusing a snowcat forum, and lookie what I see:
Tucker Warn 8274.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom