Warn 8274 / FJ-40 Install Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a used Warn 8274 for my '79 FJ-40. Also bought a Man-A-Fre 2654C winch bumper.

I have no experience with winches of this type. It appears to me that the only mounting locations on the winch are the two pairs of holes in the front of the cast aluminum housings on the winch. These holes look to mate up with those in the vertical plate on the MAF winch bumper.

My question is, are these four holes the only attachment points of the winch to the vehicle?

Appears to me there would be some other brackets / adapters to attach the winch to the frame rails if for no other reason than to support the weight of the winch. That seems like a lot of weight to hang on cast aluminum statically must less bounce it around offroad.

I searched the site and found info on winch rebuild and electrical but nothing on install. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

x3, 4 bolts, Tighten them up, and dont worry about it! like the others said, these have been in service for 40-50 years and most are still working great! I love my new 8274.. Matches the truck ;)

it makes mounting a little more difficult, but as long as the bumper is stout you will be fine

Jim,

Got any pictures of your new bumper mounted?

Im looking at this same bumper for my '81.

Also, how much did you pay for shipping to Illinois. I emailed Man-A-Fre for a shipping quote over a month ago and have never gotten a response. They tend to be IMO overpriced on shipping and their customer service something to be desired.

Still, I want that bumper. Post up some pics!

AR

Jim,

Also, how much did you pay for shipping to Illinois. I emailed Man-A-Fre for a shipping quote over a month ago and have never gotten a response. They tend to be IMO overpriced on shipping and their customer service something to be desired.

AR

The bumper is not mounted yet. I have had the winch & bumper for two years and had not found/made the time to work on it. But since I've been laid off indefinitely, making the time should be easier (except for a long honey-do list). Before I mount it I'm going to install two shackle brackets on the bumper.

I'll see if I can find the invoice. If I can I'll post the shipping cost. I'm pretty sure it came via UPS. I got the full width one due to the regs here in the People"s Republic of Blagoviech. At 59 inches it probably qualified as oversized.

I do not recall a long lead on the quote. I think it took three weeks from order to delivery. One guy on the phones at MAF is nice to deal with. Some of the others would rather be doing something else it seems.

I'll post a pic when I get it installed.

Regards

Jim

Here is a Man A Free bumper which I just installed a warn 8274-50....four bolts to the back of the plate on the bumper and feed your cables under the bib to your battery.

warn winch 04-07-09 003.jpg

warn winch 04-07-09 010.jpg
warn winch 04-07-09 003.jpg
warn winch 04-07-09 010.jpg

They have been used this way for 40+ years

like the others said, these have been in service for 40-50 years

While the 8274 is similar to the Bellview winch it before it, the 8274 was first sold in 1974, and has only been in service for 35 years.

:meh:

Jim,

AR

I have been trying to get a shipping quote to WI on the same bumper for weeks and finaly got one for around $60 , not an actual quote just an estimate I think. Customer service is not the best.

Here is a Man A Free bumper which I just installed a warn 8274-50....four bolts to the back of the plate on the bumper and feed your cables under the bib to your battery.

View attachment 319416

View attachment 319417

That looks awesome. Thanks for the pic!

Here is a picture of the bumper Jim has installed courtesy of another MUD member....
DSC_0174.jpg

The 8274 is quite heavy. If you are installing it by yourself, you might want to use a lift to help you. I used my floor jack positioned directly under the bumper and raised the winch into position. I believe I had a small piece of plywood under the winch on the cradle to help level the load on the lift. Good luck.

The Warn 8474 winch ,like everyone said its the best match-option..but better if you put a M8274-50 with synthetic rope to save weight...and to put a few heeps out of the water... PRICELESS !
n558416717_2864186_2417482.jpg
n611965037_6345689_3259716.jpg

You gotta be happy with that Brian, a 40 with a 8274 is a match made in heaven.

That looks awesome. Thanks for the pic!

Here is a picture of the bumper Jim has installed courtesy of another MUD member....

Thanks, I just ordered longfields...waiting to arrive...debating on arb in front....

Tom, can't wait to get it out and test it. I don't know if I'm gonna make it to the badlands this weekend....my front end is apart. Keep staring out my window waiting for the UPS chick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom