Want to rebuild a steering gear and pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Just picked up a PS gear and pump from a fellow mud member, I want to rebuild them both and have as spares Im asuming 37 i mud grapplers and KO2s arent going to lenghthen the life of the units in the truck now, my question is wheres the best place or who is the best guy to get oem rebuild kits for both.

The PS rebuild kit (04446-60080) is $27.52 from Amayama. I think it includes the bearing (see pic here).

The steering gear seal kit (04445-60050) is $89.29 from Amayama.

You can get Gates kits from Rockauto for around $14 and $26, respectively. The PS pump kit doesn't include a bearing (6203, according to my notes). I rebuilt my PS pump with the Gates kit around seven months ago and I've been very happy with its performance. You'll want a bench vise with soft jaws (I used plywood shims), a torque wrench, and a borrowed inside puller from Autozone. You'll also probably want to order a replacement woodruff key (Toyota #90280-05008), since it's what sets the gear depth and I marred mine when removing it.

Here's an excellent writeup on rebuilding the steering gear.

Reactions: RFB
04446-60080 does not include the bearing.

You will also need: 90301-73004 and 44327-30030 to do the job correctly.

If one is going through the trouble to reseal a steering gear box it would be an ideal time to upgrade the sector shaft and pitman arm to the 105 series iteration.

If one is going through the trouble to reseal a steering gear box it would be an ideal time to upgrade the sector shaft and pitman arm to the 105 series iteration.

:meh: For most, don't really see the point, the stock one is pretty durable.

I would second doing the pitman arm and sector shaft

I would second doing the pitman arm and sector shaft
IF Im going to do it, I may ask a lot of random shiite, but I do it right and with best parts OEM or better, and if @beno says it Im in.

IF Im going to do it, I may ask a lot of random shiite, but I do it right and with best parts OEM or better, and if @beno says it Im in.
Ask away it is what forum is for, to learn

Just as an FYI for everyone that is about to rebuild their P/S pump. When i rebuilt my PS pump i bought the O ring P/N 90301-44327 from Toyota, only to find out later on, that O ring is now included in the Gates rebuild kit. The only difference between the Gates O ring, and the Toyota one that i can see, is the Gates looks to be black Viton, and the Toyota looks to be orange Silicon.

Unless you're just itching to learn how to rebuild one you can always send it to a place like Benchwork Steering. They do boxes, pumps and racks and do a great job on everything I've ever sent them.

www.benchworksteering.com

What are the necessary parts/numbers for this 105 series upgrade? Thanks.

04446-60080 does not include the bearing.

Just the pitman arm.
No, you'll need the pitman arm and sector shaft. Some of the internal teflon (?) guides are differently sized as well.

FYI for anyone planning the upgrade on a RHD truck it was a nightmare sourcing the correct RHD pitman arm, but @Akella was able to find it eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom