VSC OFF switch install. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, I did this today on my 01 Land Cruiser and I’m not 100% sure I did it right.

Found A43, found pin 3 (which was a different color for me, but the pink/gray/black was present in a different location). Connected pin 3 to ground. Started it up and no VSC OFF light.

VSC off didn’t illuminate on startup (does it usually, I’m unsure now). Anyway, here’s a pic. You can see the pink/gray/black stripe on the other end opposite from pin 3).

I haven’t taken it for a drive to see if VSC will act up, but the lack of VSC OFF makes me think I could’ve screwed it up.

View attachment 3212863
So I went back and grounded out the pink/gray/black strip wire and removed the splice from the original but didn’t reconnect it.

VSC is definitely off and I think I accidentally found the wire to disable the VSC OFF light in the one I cut in the pic above.

Took the Land Cruiser out for an hour drive yesterday and went on every road it usually goes off on and found a few to have some fun on that would 100% activate VSC normally. VSC didn’t activate and the LC was a lot of fun to drive.

I may reconnect the wire I cut to see if the light comes on, but for now I’m just glad it’s off.

I need to double check what I did, because I press my button and the VSC light turns on yet it still will beep if driven “spiritedly” it will try and ABS control a “skid” which is not happening at all.

I recently purchased a 2003 lexus lx470, and had the VSC kick on and brake locking which almost pulled us off the road. I think our tire rod end was getting a little bad that could have caused it. But it seems extremely dangerous so I wanted to disable the VSC. I read through all the pages on this topic, but had a few questions. I think i located the correct wirre, however it seems my wiring plug is setup a tad different than some of the pictures here. So I wanted to get verification that I am indeed cutting the correct wire.
I noticed on mine I do not have a wire in the first slot, but from the pictures on this thread, it shows no wire in the second slot, however the pink wire with gray bands is located on the 3rd slot.

I just want to make 100% sure this is the correct wire.

Thank you for your time.

harness.jpg

plug.jpg

plug2.JPG

I recently purchased a 2003 lexus lx470, and had the VSC kick on and brake locking which almost pulled us off the road. I think our tire rod end was getting a little bad that could have caused it. But it seems extremely dangerous so I wanted to disable the VSC. I read through all the pages on this topic, but had a few questions. I think i located the correct wirre, however it seems my wiring plug is setup a tad different than some of the pictures here. So I wanted to get verification that I am indeed cutting the correct wire.
I noticed on mine I do not have a wire in the first slot, but from the pictures on this thread, it shows no wire in the second slot, however the pink wire with gray bands is located on the 3rd slot.

I just want to make 100% sure this is the correct wire.

Thank you for your time.

View attachment 3247619

View attachment 3247620

View attachment 3247626
it looks like you have the right wire.

For Australian or RHD members, the traction control module is not located as per the pics in the posts, it’s in a total arse of a spot, no point even trying to take a photo to show.
But it is located up under the RHS of the dash kind of behind the RHS air vent and you need to unbolt the module to get to the friggen connectors.
Good news, same wire colour and pin, and works the same.

@Odyseuss great write up, as others have said works 100% as you described 👍.

I went with the 3 position switch as well, ON-OFF-ON. This way I can leave VSC active if I want or if someone else drives, then if I want to “get up it” and it’s trying to kill me, then I can disable VSC and or TRAC as I choose.

I see some confusion with switch wiring in some comments, so here are the terminals:
Top = Ground
Middle = Wire going to ECU
Bottom = Wire going to harness

I just did the solution that aedgington outlined on page 2 of this post and it worked perfectly. I have a little play in the wheels while tugging at the 3 and 9 positions. My plan is to get that resolved and then maybe reconnect the line, or I may just let it ride. At any rate, I feel more confident that I won't get pulled off the road out of the blue. Thanks to aedgington and everyone who contributed to this post.

For Australian or RHD members, the traction control module is not located as per the pics in the posts, it’s in a total arse of a spot, no point even trying to take a photo to show.
But it is located up under the RHS of the dash kind of behind the RHS air vent and you need to unbolt the module to get to the friggen connectors.
Good news, same wire colour and pin, and works the same.

@Odyseuss great write up, as others have said works 100% as you described 👍.

I went with the 3 position switch as well, ON-OFF-ON. This way I can leave VSC active if I want or if someone else drives, then if I want to “get up it” and it’s trying to kill me, then I can disable VSC and or TRAC as I choose.

I see some confusion with switch wiring in some comments, so here are the terminals:
Top = Ground
Middle = Wire going to ECU
Bottom = Wire going to harness
Doing this now in Adelaide - Thanks for the write ups, can confirm getting to the module is difficult in RHS drive vehicle - PITA. At this point i just want to disable as some corners, seems to be camber dependent, i have to travel dangerously slow (in that someone might rear end me after ive just been doing 80....)

All done. took it apart as you had (Kruzer) then tracked the wire back where it was easier to access down lower. Have earthed and VSC OFF light on. Will go find a switch and that on for when if the VSC OFF light gets too annoying. Appreciate the previous work done

Thanks to all on this thread.

til;dr - I put in ch4x4 switch to disable at command and it let me work through all the maintenance to resolve LC issues.

Driving a 2000 with stock tires, 2” lift and asfir armor; at 255k was on a wide sweeping arc overpass doing 55mph (pissing off everyone else behind me who wanted to take it at 70) transiting from one interstate to another when VSC kicked in. Fully loaded with 4 of us, gear and 1300lb trailer in tow.

My first thought was a rear tire blowout - I drove through the fishtailing, managed to get to the shoulder, jumped out and couldn’t find anything wrong. Changed my underwear and finished our week in the outer banks without issue. At the time suspected that the trailer + off camber angle + 100 degree temps all contributed to yaw sensor kicking in and trying to kill my family. On the way home, VSC kicked in again twice in similar situations - towing off camber at speed.

Before I did the switch mod, the over aggressive VSC started kicking in - (not towing) fast corners, then slow corners, then up or down hills under load. Then randomly during lane changes, potholes, and general city driving.

The mod let me keep driving the LC while sorting things out.

One job at a a time: Replaced all 4 wheel sensors, inner tie rods, sway bar ends & sway bar bushings all around, steering rack bushings, both front axles.

All the deferred maintenance needed to be done; at 265k now and driving way better. I still use the disable switch when towing at speed.

Thanks again to everyone here who contributes and documents their work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom