VSC Coming on Intermittently (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im having an issue where the vehicle skid control [ATRAC?} is coming on during normal driving. I took it to the dealer they replaced steering sensor. The problem is still there but now i can hear what i believe is the driver side front brake engaging and trying to stop the vehicle. Can anyone think of anything that can be causing this issue?

Im having an issue where the vehicle skid control [ATRAC?} is coming on during normal driving. I took it to the dealer they replaced steering sensor. The problem is still there but now i can hear what i believe is the driver side front brake engaging and trying to stop the vehicle. Can anyone think of anything that can be causing this issue?

Does VSC come on when driving in a straight line or only when on a curve?

Usually comes on when making a left turn and accelerating out of it.

Welcome to the club: VSC Off Switch Install

I’m thinking my issue may be related to wheel speed sensors. If you find a solution please post it up. I would really like to keep VSC if possible.

sounds like abs wheel speed sensor, I had similar problem in a 2007 Sienna with VSC when making a right turn and sensor solved the issue . the code was buried deep and hard to diagnosis, they thought it was steering rack originally so replaced steering rack and still had same issue and not fixed until the wheel speed sensor replaced, no problems after that

I had the same problem with VSC activating at curved roads but mine would happen when turned either left or right and was caused by a lot of slop in the steering due to worn steering rack bushings and tie rods. I had to deactivate VSC using the thread mentioned. I didn't install a switch but just grounded the wire. Now that I've replaced the rack bushings and tie rods, the steering is tight once again and even with VSC reactivated, it no longer kicks in.

For the record I still have this issue and my steering rack was replaced with a brand new one 1 month ago as well as OEM bushings. Yes it drives much better, but no it did not fix my VSC issue.

Thanks everyone. Ill take it to the dealer and see what they say.

For the record I still have this issue and my steering rack was replaced with a brand new one 1 month ago as well as OEM bushings. Yes it drives much better, but no it did not fix my VSC issue.
Do you have any OBD2 codes associated with your issue, or is the VSC just kicking in when it shouldn't?

Do you have any OBD2 codes associated with your issue, or is the VSC just kicking in when it shouldn't?
Negative, Scangauge shows no codes at any time. It used to kick in pretty consistently around fast arcing turns like off-ramps with the alarm sound & dash lights, but now I just have the dash lights on with no braking or alarm. But because of that VSC will not activate if I were to need it.

I also followed the FSM for zero point calibration by using a jumper on the diagnostic port under the hood with no luck.

Negative, Scangauge shows no codes at any time. It used to kick in pretty consistently around fast arcing turns like off-ramps with the alarm sound & dash lights, but now I just have the dash lights on with no braking or alarm. But because of that VSC will not activate if I were to need it.

I also followed the FSM for zero point calibration by using a jumper on the diagnostic port under the hood with no luck.

I believe Scangauge only shows emissions-related codes. You need Techstream for the other stuff.

I believe Scangauge only shows emissions-related codes. You need Techstream for the other stuff.
I should’ve stated this in my previous post but I also have an OBDII reader that I use for my other vehicles. I hooked it up and it also showed no stored codes of any kind. I’m trying to get Techstream working but I’m currently having some issues

Worn components in the front end including the steering rack can contribute. Have a qualified technician perform a full diagnostic on techstream and inspect entirety of vehicle. Need to consider things in addition to abs sensors.

Sounds like the most relevant place to look is the front wheel speed sensor as mentioned by @TheForger. Might also check for any interrelated components for excessive looseness that would activate VSC: Loose wheel bearings, loose ball joint, loose steering components. If you can find a used wheel speed sensor that was not damaged on removal via salvage yard to try- that would be the first least expensive option. They are kind of pricey new.

If you have the ability, pull the front wheels off, even if one at a time. The wheel speed sensors are held in by a 10mm bolt and a few 12mm bolts to give you some slack and see if they are excessively covered in grease/grime. Clean them off and see if that might be your issue.

Inspecting wheel speed senors and wheel bearings would be my first steps.

Grease on wheel speed sensor by itself, should not cause issue. But I've seen where oil seal in wheel hub has been install backward. It then grinds down metal housing of seal, and metal particles may affect sensor as metal becomes in-bedding in grease on senor. But I'd look for more continuous issue, not just in turns. This may or may not set of a code in tech stream.

Additionally wheel speed sensor become damage due to someone breaking the housing trying to remove from sensor outside of wheel hub assembly when stuck in wheel hub. Breaking housing of sensor, may can create a short. I'd expect a to see a code in tech stream pending.

Very often as mentioned above, loose wheel bearings will make sensor reading wonky as wheel hub cocks to one side in a turn. In these case it's not a fault in sensor and no codes are pending. It's just read as a wheel speed different, activating VSC.

UPDATE:

Replacing the steering rack resolved my issue. Thanks all for the assistance on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom