Voltage regulator Wiring....Blowing Fuse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cruiser in question is a 75 but the engine was swapped by the po with one from a 78. Has the stock voltage regulator I believe with 3 wires on the plug.
Runs great but alternator isn't charging at battery.

With the regulator plugged in the 15a engine fuse blows. With it unplugged it's fine.
Has anyone seen this before, any ideas?

Can someone please confirm which wires on the harness side of the plug are which.
There is a white/black , white/green and a black/yellow.
The plug has been switched before and maybe they didn't get the wires correct.

Some pics would sure help someone to help ya. Pics of alternator, regulator, connectors & connections.

This may help you also.

altreg03.jpg

Last edited:
@Steamer that helps a lot. I noticed when I took a pic of the alternator there is only one wire going to where the 3-prong connector should be.
I did replace the connector at the end of that wire and maybe I plugged it onto the wrong one.

@JohnnyC it's pretty crusty looking?

20200212_073235_HDR.jpg

20200212_073249_HDR.jpg

The terminals on the alternator should be marked.

alt trmls 01.jpg

crusty.... yes

the VR ground wire is shot... might as well get a new one.... while they are still available

fix wire... ground the case well on firewall... test it out if ok keep it as a just in case spare.... get a new one

Didn't even notice the cut in the ground. I actually just picked up a new regulator so i'll get the wiring fixed to the alt and try it.

I'm not certain on the wiring of the '75, but should there be three wires to the Alternator? See @Steamer pic above.

Here is a photo of my '77 alternator.
IMG_1420.JPG

I've searched a lot on this also, what model did you use? Factory mounting?

Not sure on the model off the top of my head, but i swapped it over to the passenger side and used a factory bracket and tensioner arm. Mine is a 74 so it was down on the drivers side low.

I've searched a lot on this also, what model did you use? Factory mounting?

The GM one wire regulator is internally regulated, so you do away with the external one. If your ready to swap alternators, a later year Landcruiser alternator would be internally regulated and would bolt right up. Although it would be a three wire. A one wire makes for an easy hookup but a 3-wire alternator does have its advantages. “One Wire vs Three”

I installed a 12si three wire at least 10 years ago, working great. Before that I installed an electronic regulator that provided better performance than the stock mechanical reg there used to be a tech link on ‘mud aboutnit

For those who are Not aware , TOYOTA Discontinued the 27700-60080 Voltage Regulator and the -84 , Remanufactured version as well , this part# covers 9/72 - 8/76 , F and 2F engines , FJ40 & FJ55 as well ......

-i only happened upon this critical needed parts information when i was gathering and sourcing @samatulich 's Various and diverse Charging system Components during the x-mass holidays week time period . for his planned updates and needed repair's job scopes ...

-i asked my parts guy where i have my dealership shop acct at , what the stocking code was , and how many left in North America , and finally if any in-transit from JAPAN ,

- Your local Dealer ships should always know , have or can get you this need to be informed Vintage Toyota Owners critical parts availability information , it;s always real time Live , up to the minute accurate , through the T.I.S. Network
( Toyota Information Systems ) ,

-he said only 1 left in the country @ the Onatrio CA wharehouse , and none in-transit from JAPAN , and finally the
Gut-Punch , stocking classification code E
this translates into the part # is dead ! & not coming back or No
suppression either planned or otherwise ..:confused:

- i said order me that last one right away please , so he did and i got lucky ,
because the inventory was correct at the warehouse in this rare case
was correct , i ordered the last one as a In-house / in-shop live NOS
reference parts Specimen , in the days waiting for the now back ordered last ever
27700-60080-84 , i had put pen to paper , and come up with a
Needed Parts Solution idea i knew could work and work well long term ....

- i ordered qty x 10 of a non-usa voltage regulator , that is the exact same
platform as the
27700-60080-84 , however does NOT have the black connector
, or wire leads coming from it to simply Plug and Play into your
9/72-8/76
harness side Female connector to the Voltage Regulator Circuit ., alternator , battery etc ...

- i keep in-stock for my shop use and various vintage toyota electrical products i offer , enough Black UV grade OEM 3-pin connector housings , terminals and any color code tracer stripe wire TOYOTA ever used , so the moment DHL delivered my 72 hour International JAPAN box of my New Platform for
a very carefully & well thought out Reproduction
27700-60080-84-RR
could begin right away , and it indeed did , because @samatulich was in need
, and thats all that matters ! :D

- i put one together and then bench tested it , to tripple verify everything was Solid ...........and so it was .

i called Sam right away and reported in the good news that i was shipping out

his 100% TOYOTA Genuine Parts , Reproduction Part # 27700-60080-84-RR that i had conjured up ....:)

note: the -RR in the new part # I have assigned the regulator , stands for Remanufacturd & Reproduction ,

Why ? :
because that designation applies to the End Product i offer

the base voltage regulator platform arrives to me as a TOYOTA Genuine Remanufactured part with it
's very familiar to all here , red & chrome foil label Toyota assigns it's Reman. line-up of parts ........

And more importantly would , could and right now is serving and made available
to the entire 9/72-9/76 40 & 55 series owners, land cruiser community ......🈶

below are some Tech. photos of what you can expect , such a case arise , like what happen to @bhsdriller . im just glad my fellow
MUD members are NOT
forced to shop for such a critical Needed part from ROCK AUTO , where the parts box that arrives at there shop door , says
" made In Bangladesh...........
" or worse " China " :mad:

i want to personally thank Sam , for allowing me the few extra days needed , to
get this unique needed parts solution job scope to the end user plug and play
level it needed and needs to be .........

Thanks Buddy ! :cool:

27700-60080-84-RR

9/72-9/76 40 & 55 series

note : a NOS original 27700-60080-84 and Reproduction 27700-60080-84-RR

below for cross caparison side by side Technical analysis

and as always , please feel free to PM me with any questions ..

DSCN1649.JPG
DSCN1651.JPG
DSCN1652.JPG
DSCN1654.JPG
DSCN1655.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom