Missing Voltage Regulator?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
77' FJ40

Had the truck for over a year now and finally beginning to troubleshooting inconsistent headlights/wipers between idle and driving. seems that all signs point to the alternator/voltage regulator. Been chasing the wiring all thru the engine bay and i can't find a voltage regulator anywhere -- also searched my alternator part number and it requires an external voltage regulator. i think i can see the spot where it should be latched on the heat shield but its just 2 empty screw holes

is it possible that I'm missing one?? seems that my electrical issues would be much worse. if so how difficult is installation of one? seen few posts on how to install but I'm not great at reading the wiring diagrams -- still pretty new to anything electrical.

also been having a clicking noise seemingly coming from my electric fuel pump when idling at lights for extended period of time and I'm wondering if that is related to this and the pump not getting enough power. if i rev the engine a bit when i hear it the clicking goes away

any info greatly appreciated! also did a search and couldn't find anything on the subject

Maybe someone put on a one wire alternator, they have internal regulation. I would suspect there is an external regulator somewhere if it's suppose to have one or you would have a fried or dead battery by now if you ran it much.

Maybe someone put on a one wire alternator, they have internal regulation. I would suspect there is an external regulator somewhere if it's suppose to have one or you would have a fried or dead battery by now if you ran it much.
part number 021000-6160, all of the interchanges appear to require external regulators

only one wire running from the plug connector and it appears to be a ground... replaced the battery when i first purchased about a year ago and run it a couple times a week.

alternator photo attached

tempImage2qjX5r.png

tempImager8Ozym.png

Measure your battery voltage at different revs. You'll soon see.
Where does the white wire go to?

still trying to figure that out, it disappears into the dash -- if i had to guess it goes to the ignition. its a qwik wire harness and the label on the wire says alternator exciter.. but from what I've read is that should plug into the regulator if the alternator doesn't have an internal regulator..

i see an old thread you commented on about this where someone was weeding thru a birds nest of wires, happy to have an expert on here!

If the engine stops when you switch off the ignition, then you either have a diode inline in that white wire, or else an idiot light (lights up when not charging) on the dash. This stops power feeding back into the harness when you switch off. So be mindful that it will only conduct one way while you're testing it.

Id say the easiest way to proceed is to replace your alternator with a modem one with internal silicon regulator if it is as you suspect.
Although not the purist approach, it means no wire cutting, and will outlast you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom