SOLD Virginia-- Dec. 1970 Spring Green FST FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Green
NO LONGER FOR SALE. I just can't bring myself to sell it.

1970 FJ40 FST. Titled as a ‘78.
I bought the truck from the original owner in July 2021. I’ve worked the past 2 years on refreshing it back to life. This was not a restoration, but it was a refreshtoration. All the work was done by me. I’ve been a Cruiser guy for the past 20+years or so and have had several FJ40s.
This 40 has a mixture of OEM parts from 1970 and a some from a ‘78. The body was pulled off the frame and the frame was wired wheeled, rust inhibitor applied and painted. The rear crossmember and angle braces were replaced with a later model from BTB.
All drivetrain parts are from a ‘78. 2F motor. I rebuilt the carb and added a new water pump, aluminum radiator, starter. Runs great and compression numbers are in the 150s on all cylinders. 4speed trans with new Asin clutch kit. I replaced the rear main seal on the motor while I was doing the clutch. Axles are rebuilt using Cruiser Outfitters parts. The rear axle has a Spartan locker and I converted it to disc brake. It has an FJ80 master cyl. New clutch master cyl. and slave cyl. New tie rod ends and rebuilt center arm.
4 degree caster shims. Drives and handles and brakes nicely.
2 1/2” Pro-Comp lift with Bilstein shocks. Redline Land Cruiser shackles and pins. Firestone Destination
MT 255/75/17 mounted on FJ Cruiser 17x7.5 steel wheels. Cruiser Matt’s weld on rings allows them to
use the OEM hub caps. 1.25” wheel spacers.
When it came to body work, I tried to keep as much of the original sheet metal as possible. New body
repair panels were purchased from Real Steel and CCOT. I replaced the front floor pans and rear bed,
and the rest of the body was patched where needed. It still has some rust but I repaired the worst of it. I
love patina. The mid bed support was replaced as well.
Overland Werks seat mounts with factory FJ40 bucket seats with duct tape covering some tears and a
new Tuffy console. I modified the mount to place the seats as far back as possible for added leg room.
The sliders were removed, and seats are hard mounted. Can easily have sliders added. I’m 6’1” and fit
comfortably. 28-gal Long Range America fuel tank.
The truck comes with the OEM factory soft top bows and an aftermarket top. The top has a couple
patches, but the windows are clear, and the buckles are nice. Also comes with a set of FST doors that I
have repaired along with new skins from SOR, and the original set that are in bad shape. I just couldn't
throw them away. Also comes with a hardtop.
Warn 8274 winch with 3/8”x100 synthetic rope.
Overall, this is a solid truck. Runs, drives, stops as it should. T-1028 Spring Green paint was only
available for a couple of years. I built this truck to be reliable and wanted its appearance to tell its story. I
don’t really want to sell it but life happens so I want to pass it on to someone who will enjoy it and respect
it as much as I do. Please copy and paste in your browser this link to my build thread on IH8MUD. Read
its story and see how far it's come in the past 2 years. I have around 400 pics I took throughout the
process I could send as well if you need to see them. I have a lot of hours and parts in this truck.
Serious buyers only please. I will only negotiate in person or over the phone if you are out of state.
Link to build >>https://forum.ih8mud.com/.../conde-cruiser-build-1970.../

20240125_160513.jpg

20240125_160449.jpg

Last edited:
Dang. This is a good one.

Have done some deals with Eric on parts in the past. Even stopped by his place while I was doing some work on the East Coast last year. He is a true Cruiser Head and a straight shooter. . I would not hesitate to do business with Eric!

For someone looking for their first 40, or are tired of the 10 year restoration that you are $18k deep into and not even half way done, hit the easy button and buy this well sorted 40! Folks don't know what they would save themselves in time, money, and heartache by buying a truck like this. I wish a 40 like this was available when I was looking to expand my fleet a couple of years ago..... full documented build by a guy who knows what he is doing.

Best of luck on the sale and future endeavors Eric!

Have done some deals with Eric on parts in the past. Even stopped by his place while I was doing some work on the East Coast last year. He is a true Cruiser Head and a straight shooter. . I would not hesitate to do business with Eric!

For someone looking for their first 40, or are tired of the 10 year restoration that you are $18k deep into and not even half way done, hit the easy button and buy this well sorted 40! Folks don't know what they would save themselves in time, money, and heartache by buying a truck like this. I wish a 40 like this was available when I was looking to expand my fleet a couple of years ago..... full documented build by a guy who knows what he is doing.

Thanks, Evan. Only reason for selling is that a property that was in my family years ago will be coming to market soon and the wife and I would like to get it.

I have seen this cruiser and seen the work done to it. This 40 is well done runs good and is priced well, Eric also does great work so I would not be hesitant at all to get this cruiser.

Too bad it's titled as a 78 and not the 70 for any CA buyers

Too bad it's titled as a 78 and not the 70 for any CA buyers
Still has he vin '70 plates on it. I carry the '78 plates on the glove box. Virginia isn't to strict about it.

Still has he vin '70 plates on it. I carry the '78 plates on the glove box. Virginia isn't to strict about it.
Looking up the word "Strict" in the dictionary/Google you will find the top response to be a picture of the state of California!

You can cut out at least 50% of the good deals on any 76 or newer LC, not just FJ40's, just by living in this state.

Good luck with your sale, I'd consider this one also - we're looking for another 40, but it's got to be titled a 75 or earlier. (I have to pray every time my 78 comes up for the emissions check for updated registration)

Last edited:
NO LONGER FOR SALE. I just can't bring myself to sell it. I love it to much!

Wow! Totally understandable. I’ve read and re-read your build thread ever since this for sale ad came up and I’ve been in awe at just how rad this 40 is. I’d be lying if I wasn’t a little bummed as I definitely wanted to make a push to be the next owner.
Amazing work on this one for sure!

Would be hard to part ways with such a cool cruiser. I've never wanted an earlier model year more than after reading your build thread. Your '70 FST is just plain cool. Please keep the build thread going when you make updates to it. I had to subscribe to the thread.

Thanks, man. I plan to start building a tire carrier for it this weekend. I will keep the thread going.

All is right in the YOTA-verse….😎

If I wasn’t neck deep into 2.0, this one would have ended up in the “Other Virginia”….Congratulations on your “non sale”…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom