VGRS Fixed But Steering Wheel Still Slighty Off Center (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 2005 LX470. Seller noted VGRS and VSC lights had been on since around 2017 when he bought it. He told me these trouble lights came on after an indie shop replaced the spiral cable. And VGRS actuator locked at about 90 degrees off. Seller had taken the truck to a Lexus dealer for the trouble lights and the paperwork I have shows they found code 1567 and said VGRS actuator needed to be replaced. I did my homework on MUD and thanks to some of you, some FSM homework, and some check wires, I was able to replace the spiral cable (OEM part- cheapy aftermarket came out) and get all the trouble lights, including VGRS, turned off. I did zero point calibration, VGRS calibration, and steering angle adjustment procedures….multiple times for each. All is well now, no trouble lights, BUT my steering wheel is still off about 5-10 degrees left driving straight on a level surface. Anyone know the procedure to fix this? Will this require techstream?

IMG_1884.jpeg

Last edited:
I was hoping that would be the case. Never had a VGRS equipped vehicle before, so wasn’t familiar with the system until a month ago. When I changed the spiral cable, the FSM said not to match mark steering wheel to shaft b/c it would self center. i still match marked it and put it back on to match up. I guess it doesn’t center perfectly until after alignment?

Last edited:
On a VGRS vehicle, you can re-center the steering wheel with Techstream.

Another thread on the subject:

On a VGRS vehicle, you can re-center the steering wheel with Techstream.

Another thread on the subject:

Second this. If the alignment is good, you can use tech stream to adjust the steering wheel via the VGRS actuator. I do this regularly since I am FOREVER replacing tie rod ends or playing with the front suspension.

I recently bought a 2005 LX470. Seller noted VGRS and VSC lights had been on since around 2017 when he bought it. He told me these trouble lights came on after an indie shop replaced the spiral cable. And VGRS actuator locked at about 90 degrees off. Seller had taken the truck to a Lexus dealer for the trouble lights and the paperwork I have shows they found code 1567 and said VGRS actuator needed to be replaced. I did my homework on MUD and thanks to some of you, some FSM homework, and some check wires, I was able to replace the spiral cable (OEM part- cheapy aftermarket came out) and get all the trouble lights, including VGRS, turned off. I did zero point calibration, VGRS calibration, and steering angle adjustment procedures….multiple times for each. All is well now, no trouble lights, BUT my steering wheel is still off about 5-10 degrees left driving straight on a level surface. Anyone know the procedure to fix this? Will this require techstream?

View attachment 3544575

I did zero point calibration, VGRS calibration, and steering angle adjustment procedures….multiple times for each. All is well now, no trouble lights, BUT my steering wheel is still off about 5-10 degrees left driving straight on a level surface. Anyone know the procedure to fix this? Will this require techstre
You've done all this, so you must have tech stream. Provide alignment correct and you don't have a TRE inner or outer coming loose. Which I've seen a few inner TRE become un-staked and walk-off. Since inner TRE, is staked under boot, it difficult to detect. Which steering wheel turns when this happens.

All good.
Test to see if actuator engaged. Parked, engine idling, turn steering wheel. It should only turn about 2 1/4 turns lock to lock.

Center steering wheel via, in Tech Stream. What is often not done, during calibrating and adjusting angle. Resolve any DTC and Clear history of all REC flags.

Part of the prosses of VGRS calibration and angle adjustments. Requires starting and stopping engine 15 times while turning steering wheel. This for new parts, but I do this, as we don't know what's been done in the past.

DTC & Rec .JPEG

IMG_9951.JPEG

This TSB may help you. You must be detail orient, to work on these systems. You should have had the snap ring recall done.

Attachments

• TSB VGRS 03-07 LX470 repair proceedure.pdf
    433.5 KB · Views: 44
You've done all this, so you must have tech stream. Provide alignment correct and you don't have a TRE inner or outer coming loose. Which I've seen a few inner TRE become un-staked and walk-off. Since inner TRE, is staked under boot, it difficult to detect. Which steering wheel turns when this happens.

All good.
Test to see if actuator engaged. Parked, engine idling, turn steering wheel. It should only turn about 2 1/4 turns lock to lock.

Center steering wheel via, in Tech Stream. What is often not done, during calibrating and adjusting angle. Resolve any DTC and Clear history of all REC flags.

Part of the prosses of VGRS calibration and angle adjustments. Requires starting and stopping engine 15 times while turning steering wheel. This for new parts, but I do this, as we don't know what's been done in the past.

View attachment 3546691
View attachment 3546688

This TSB may help you. You must be detail orient, to work on these systems. You should have had the snap ring recall done.
Thank you. I don’t have techstream. I did the VGRS recalibration, the zero point calibration, and the steering angle adjustment the old-fashioned way (per FSM)- test wires in the OBD port- took several tries but I got all the codes cleared and VGRS is functional again (after ~ 7 years- mostly POs ownership and only about 30 days of my ownership). Manual steering angle adjustment didn’t center the steering wheels and I followed the FSM to the last detail. Steering wheel is at 11 o’clock vs 12 o’clock- but better than the 90 degrees it was off before I unlocked and repositioned the VGRS actuator lock. I think the alignment is close to spot-on. Tracks perfectly, but I need to make a VERY small adjustment in the front wheel bearings. There is a tiny bit of 12-6 play in front wheels when they’re off the ground. I think what initially triggered the VGRS code and the VSC codes was a shoddy install of an aftermarket spiral cable. I installed an OEM spiral cable before attempting to reset / recalibrate everything. I have 7 year-old paperwork from a Lexus dealer that VGRS actuator had failed and needed to be replaced. Part was noted at around $4K. My $150 spiral cable, some test wires, and some directions following fixed it, I hope. No lights for the past 4 days of daily driving. I can share my test wire work for anyone that wants help with VGRS / VSC lights. I believe the VGRS retainer clip recall was done years…l’ll double check the records I got with the truck. Thanks for your advice!

Get yourself Tech Stream, for ~$40. Working on AHC, VGRS, Keys and so many other systems, it a must have.

Also so worth mentioning: VRGS will go into failsafe, when temp climbs to much and not give a dash light. The way to know, is the 2 1/4 lock to lock test.

Wheel bearing should have zero play at 6 & 12. But a tiny bit play alone, will not likely set off ABS (VSC & TRAC). Pressure of AHC, bad Rack & Pinion bushing, shot stabilizer system, bad bad joints, loose TREs or it's ball joints, very loose wheel bearings. All may, especially combinations of these.

Get yourself Tech Stream, for ~$40. Working on AHC, VGRS, Keys and so many other systems, it a must have.

Also so worth mentioning: VRGS will go into failsafe, when temp climbs to much and not give a dash light. The way to know, is the 2 1/4 lock to lock test.

Wheel bearing should have zero play at 6 & 12. But a tiny bit play alone, will not likely set off ABS (VSC & TRAC). Pressure of AHC, bad Rack & Pinion bushing, shot stabilizer system, bad bad joints, loose TREs or it's ball joints, very loose wheel bearings. All may, especially combinations of these.
VGRS definitely working. Now it is way too easy to crank the truck into tight spots compared to what it was like before the fix.

VGRS definitely working. Now it is way too easy to crank the truck into tight spots compared to what it was like before the fix.
To be clear. Test if working, is how many turns lock to lock. How much force on steering wheel, to "crank" (turn) is the same, working or not.

To be clear. Test if working, is how many turns lock to lock. How much force on steering wheel, to "crank" (turn) is the same, working or not.
Yes, by easy to crank I meant less revolutions to accomplish a full lock turn- maybe 1-1.5 full revolutions of s. wheel when driving super slow to turn from wheels straight ahead to full lock turn. I haven’t done an official analysis but I can tell the gear ration in the steering system has changed at slow speeds and tight turns. Pretty cool feature…didn’t think I’d like it I was able to get it functional. Think I’ll keep it i/o instead of swapping in the regular LC shafts like I’d planned to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom