Replace Steering Wheel question...1999LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mine 25 year old wheel is starting to wear out, leather is not looking so good. Some people have "recovered" wheel leather by wrapping new leather, etc....I would like to know if replacing the entire steering wheel is plug and play...or complicated?

I have a 99LC. I'd consider an LX steering wheel if they are the same thing...or would fit the same.

Is there a link to how to change it? I'm not mechanic, but I will take on small DIY projects.

TIS

not very complicated, going from memory
disconnect the battery, remove airbag, bolt on each side, disconnect airbag harness, remove nut on column, use a bar puller or other puller and remove steering wheel

note orientation before removing steering wheel from splines, so new wheel is pointed the same direction

Mine 25 year old wheel is starting to wear out, leather is not looking so good. Some people have "recovered" wheel leather by wrapping new leather, etc....I would like to know if replacing the entire steering wheel is plug and play...or complicated?

I have a 99LC. I'd consider an LX steering wheel if they are the same thing...or would fit the same.

Is there a link to how to change it? I'm not mechanic, but I will take on small DIY projects.

TIS
Here's a good thread for replacement options. A year and a half later I am still happy with mine. The fake wood is holding up. It makes a big difference, not having a beat up filthy steering wheel.

Plug and play, except for a tiny bit of plastic shaving. The actual removal/replacement is not too tough. Find the big thread as mentioned above. Take your time. I used a loaner wheel puller from a parts shop instead of yanking the wheel off. As 3puppies says above, note the orientation when you put the new wheel on, and make sure it's straight before you go through the steps of re-installing the airbag.

You can easily skip the puller. I zip the 19mm bolt off most of the way with an cordless impact but leave the last 3-4 thread on. The wheel should pop right off with a minor amount of yanking. The GX/100 share the same wheel (at least on the later 100 models) and I've pulled the wheel off multiple times for various things. It's a 10 minute job.

If you have someone with some sewing expertise in the family, the Loncky wheel cover can be a good option. Still pretty happy with mine, and I honestly preferred keeping the OEM wheel core instead of the eBay wheels.
20231225_132108 (2).jpg

20240113_141703.jpg

Agreed to the above, and if you have patience and two usable hands you can zip on a Loncky wheel wrap for like $60 and a few hours labor. I love mine!

Wife is a seamstress and does alterations...so I do have someone who knows how to sew lol

The Lonkey options looks best. Keep the OEM wheel and looks better as I have no wood grain in my truck, just the black trim with grey leather.

Wife is a seamstress and does alterations...so I do have someone who knows how to sew lol

The Lonkey options looks best. Keep the OEM wheel and looks better as I have no wood grain in my truck, just the black trim with grey leather.
She'll be able to knock out the whole wheel in a couple of hours. Just use LOTS of the double-sided tape, especially around the spokes, but even on the outer part of the wheel as well. My wife and I didn't use enough the first time and the leather was loose in a number of places (you can see little "bubbles" in my pic of it). We had to pull it off and re-do it (carefully) and now it's fine. I had her get each seam started and finished for me at the end, but I did everything in-between.

It's not going to feel as good as a new OEM wheel (maybe 90-95% as good, depending on your tape and sewing job), but it will be much nicer than what you have now and it's inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom