V8 swap carburetor throttle linkage problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ has a GM 2 Jet rochester carburetor. He fashioned a coat hanger from the throttle to the accelerator. It works, but I would like to repair it correctly. Does anyone have any input on how I can connect my new SOR pedal and cable to this correctly?

GM Carb hanger linkage.JPEG

SOR accelerator cable.JPEG

don’t know that carb, but I’ve used bike brake parts to connect throttle cables to connect to stock carb linkages. The linkage doesn’t appear to be there now.

Behind the "2" on your linkage is a ball sticking out that the throttle should be connected to.

MCarbRoch1973__2G_Picture28.jpg

Something like this is what you need. It may require replacing the ball because they come in different sizes.

Cable%20End.jpg

You will also need a bracket that the cable adjuster will pass through and allow adjustment of the cable.

I keep looking at your existing setup and am wondering how that actually works

Super helpful! Any ideas on where I would find the bracket and linkage assembly??

Companies like Lokar and Edelbrock would be a good place to start. Because you have a single 2 barrel carb it means less options as most of the brackets are built for 4 barrel setups or 3 two barrels. Look at the Edelbrock 8036 as it mounts to the 2 last intake bolts.

217297d1302367601-tv-cable-swap-problem-p1020054.jpg

It is setup for the square plastic cable holders but a couple washers or bending your own bracket with a hole would be easily fabricated.

Lokar S-1034 should connect your cable to the carb.

LOK-S-1034_ml.jpg

I hope this helps and there are other options out there.

I have a V8 and a Rochester Quadrajet carburetor, which is basically the same thing you have with some extra vacuum actuated secondaries for when you need to go super fast.

I used a Lokar universal (cut-to-length) throttle cable P/N: TC-1000HT36
On the carburetor/intake you will need a bracket to mount the cable housing - I used something like P/N: 4914001 pictured below - but not exactly that. There are a bunch of universal brackets out there or you can build your own:
1600441047050.png

I built a patch to cover up the throttle linkage hole and give the other end of the cable something to mount to. I'll snap some pictures at lunch.

Ok here is my setup - something similar should work for you but there are plenty of ways to address this.

Lokar cut-to-length cable routed through the rear bracket I’d mentioned previously. Your cable end might be different (mine was a ball and socket) but the Lokar cable comes with a bunch of different ends. Throttle return spring routes back to the same bracket.

NOTE: on my old Buick Quadrajet that was on there before this one, the throttle action was reversed, so my throttle return spring had to run forward. It was the same idea it just required a second bracket mounted off the front of the intake manifold.
1DCF4B49-8937-45C8-AF74-99BF3E14C053.jpeg

Here is the patch of aluminum I cut to cover the throttle linkage hole - nothing fancy just a piece of aluminum sheet metal bolted to the firewall with a hole in the middle for the other end of the cable housing to mount to.
D61E5F7D-F54C-4496-9219-9AB58E1776CC.jpeg

Here is the pedal - I’m not sure if the SOR pedal is OEM or something different but oftentimes the OEM pedal will need to be modified to accommodate a cable instead of a linkage - this involves setting it back a bit to get the proper cable throw and sometimes adding a bracket to accept the cable end.

The PO is responsible for my pedal - it isn’t pretty but it gets the job done.
05C7204C-7838-4561-81AE-BEB2433CBA82.jpeg

Slightly closer up of the “modification.” I didn’t like the size of the ball on the cable end as compared to the size of the hole in the pedal so I’m responsible for the copious stacking of “safety washers.” Again not ideal but it has been getting the job done for 5-6 years now.

If I was going to do any part over this would be it but for the time being it works.
90D859A9-E90E-4E98-B47B-6DB605223ADE.jpeg

Last edited:
Another choice, my ebay #264869163799, length trimmable, just need mounting bracket out on the engine side.

Finished it up yesterday! Accelerator feels great, much more reactive especially compared to the hanger set up. Thanks to everyone for the pics and advise. Ended up using a stainless steel electrical outlet cover for the firewall hole and the SOR cable and linkage kit.

On to the missing fan shroud, and than to tackle the disc brakes.

upgraded linkage 1.JPEG

Upgraded linkage 2.JPEG

It sounds like you got a 36" Lokar cable. Did you have to cut it, or did it bolt right on?

It sounds like you got a 36" Lokar cable. Did you have to cut it, or did it bolt right on?
I used this too - it had to be cut - but its a fairly simple process. My only recommendation is, because it's braided and will want to fray, put some tape around the area you want to cut, then cut through the tape. I used a dremmel/cut-off wheel. I think a grinding wheel also sort of "melts" the braided line together where you cut and keeps it from fraying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom