Upgrading to a 5speed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That'll significantly reduce the cost and complexity of the swap - it'll bolt right in. The extra costs over and above the transmission, shift lever, shift knob, and 5th gear oiler cup will be the "While you're in there" stuff - clutch disc and pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, clutch fork clips, and flywheel resurfacing.

That'll significantly reduce the cost and complexity of the swap - it'll bolt right in. The extra costs over and above the transmission, shift lever, shift knob, and 5th gear oiler cup will be the "While you're in there" stuff - clutch disc and pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, clutch fork clips, and flywheel resurfacing.
Sounds like nearly a new rig!! Hmmmmmmm

What years of FJ60’s make this swap easier? I’m in the market and this might play a role in what years I’m looking at.

A couple of things. It accelerates better with an h55 and god knows it needs it. Holds speed better on the highway, better gas mileage, but the best thing is lower crawl speed when in 4wheel low. When you’re going down something steep in 4wd low with the 4 speed you have to be continually on the brakes. The lower first on the 5 speed often allows you to keep your speed down with the transmission gearing and not use the brakes.

I still feel you need a lower set of gears with the h55f.

I find myself riding the brakes in second downhill or pulling a ton of rpm in first. Needs 4.11’s to be right.

I agree with everything else stated completely.

A couple of things. It accelerates better with an h55 and god knows it needs it. Holds speed better on the highway, better gas mileage, but the best thing is lower crawl speed when in 4wheel low. When you’re going down something steep in 4wd low with the 4 speed you have to be continually on the brakes. The lower first on the 5 speed often allows you to keep your speed down with the transmission gearing and not use the brakes.
Idk...it accelerates like a "race horse" since the EFI conversion....holding speed.seems fine. But sure..
I see how.it could improve 4wdL ...but I don't off road enuff for it to matter I wouldn't think.

Maybe I'll just wait till the transmission goes ..that would.prlly be best time.

That transmission will probably never go. Ask around and you'll see people that have done the H55 and how many 4 speed trannys are available. People are pretty much giving them away at this point. I upgraded the the H55 last year and IMO its the best upgrade you could do on a 2F engine. Lower RPMs, slightly but not much gas improvement and pretty much everyone has listed the other great benefits. If you are doing it you may as well replace anything else down there that may be going bad or looks bad. And depending on your year you may need to convert the linkage. At least I had to on mine. All in all its about a 5-6k conversion but after you do it you won't regret it.

Idk...it accelerates like a "race horse" since the EFI conversion....holding speed.seems fine. But sure..
I see how.it could improve 4wdL ...but I don't off road enuff for it to matter I wouldn't think.

Maybe I'll just wait till the transmission goes ..that would.prlly be best time.

I've never driven a 5 speed on a 2F, but I have to say I don't mind the 4 speed on mine with 31" tires. Would a 5 speed be better? Almost certainly. But it seems reasonably geared from the factory. I can cruise at 75 around 3,100 RPM. Just keep in mind to check it with a GPS -- bigger tires and you'll think you're going slower than you are.

I drove with the 5 speed for 29 years. I preferred it to the 4 speed except for accelerating up roads. The gap between 2nd and 3rd gear on the 5 speed is really far. Much farther than on the 4 speed (that's how they give you lower 1st & 2nd). If the cruiser is loaded and going up hills, you've got to race it in 2nd before shifting into 3rd where it will semi bog unpleasantly at too low of an RPM.

I drove with the 5 speed for 29 years. I preferred it to the 4 speed except for accelerating up roads. The gap between 2nd and 3rd gear on the 5 speed is really far. Much farther than on the 4 speed (that's how they give you lower 1st & 2nd). If the cruiser is loaded and going up hills, you've got to race it in 2nd before shifting into 3rd where it will semi bog unpleasantly at too low of an RPM.

You didn’t accelerate up hills. You idled intensely to posted speeds.

Reactions: OSS
Thanks. Forum feedback indicates the conversion increases acceleration. Do you have insight as to if improvement is a game changer or just slightly noticeable?
Have not driven it yet as my truck is in Texas and I'm in Munich. ;) I'm getting it mainly to try to improve top-end overall performance coupled with lower RPMs on the autobahn. Gogo fast(er) tractor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom