Upgrading stock alternator to 130/150 amp (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know this thread has been around for a long time and is where I got the idea to do the conversion on my HDJ80, being a mechanic it was a straightforward for me to do around eight or more years back, everything done to my 80 is in my build thread running for about 11 years now.

So to the alternator. As per @Photoman this is pretty much spot on, the larger alternator will 'see' the same load on the engine for normal day to day running, i.e. start up go to work or the mall and return home, the stock unit may ramp up to around thirty amps after starting from a cold night but will soon reduce this to as little as 10 or 15 which will again lower soon enough, in other words it is rarely going to be asked for the full 80 amps it can supply. The larger alternator comes into it's own when helping with winching or replenishing a battery which has been exposed to the lights having been left on for a couple or hours and even then it will only be at a high rate for a short time. There are other times when the higher output is desirable for example, my engine cooling fan has been removed and fitted with an electric one from a Mercedes, and if I had all the lights on and HRW, radio, wipers and was for example stuck in traffic, then this is when a larger alternator comes into it's own.

I think it is a great modification and well thought out all those years back, and I gather people are still doing the conversion today, as great as the 80 it is times move on, and upgrading with worthwhile mods is the way to go if you want to keep these great vehicles on the road.

Regards

Dave

This is a great useful thread, and there is an additional option.

Great thread, I reached out to Photoman and he said he doesn’t make Toyota parts any longer. He sold what he had to Whits-end. I don’t see Photomans bracket being offered on Whits-ends website. I emailed them this morning to see if they are still offering it and haven’t heard back yet. If anyone has any other leads please let us know?

Great thread, I reached out to Photoman and he said he doesn’t make Toyota parts any longer. He sold what he had to Whits-end. I don’t see Photomans bracket being offered on Whits-ends website. I emailed them this morning to see if they are still offering it and haven’t heard back yet. If anyone has any other leads please let us know?
Follow this thread: Wits’ End takes over production of the PHOTOMAN alt mod - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/wits-end-takes-over-production-of-the-photoman-alt-mod.1277985/

Although Joey generally doesn’t give out timelines since there have been so many delays for various reasons.

For those that have the smaller pulley on this Sequoia alt swap, what is the outside diameter of the under size pulley coming in your kits? Was it 2.5"? The stock pulley is around 2.87". Thanks!

Just an FYI, a smaller outside diameter will only make belt changes easier. It won’t affect output. For output changes you need a smaller diameter at the bottom of the V.
Correct Landtank, I did find a smaller pulley meaning smaller overall outside diameter and smaller outside diameter in the bottom of the v-belt grooves. Everything is right about it except the back side. It needs to be milled out a bit to clear the alternator housing. SHouldn't be a big deal to resolve.

I had found one as well. But that backside needed to be machined concaved like the factory one. Too much work and cost for me for what little gains might be had. I’d have to pay someone to do it.
I have a mini lathe at home, just need to find the time to work on it.

Just bought an atlas 618
Those are nice classic mills. Better than the china ones. Here is my pulley milled out - clears nicely.

39297~2.jpeg

PXL_20230301_032120400.jpg

PXL_20230301_032133952.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom