Upgraded pump info for LRA? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got my Airtex fuel pump about three weeks ago from Amazon. I’ve been out of the country so I haven’t been able to look at it until this weekend. While I was away I will read the above threads on the Chinese made palms or other knock offs. I’m trying to determine if my pump is legit or not. It seems legit. The housing is stamped made in the USA, and the box looks legit. It came with install booklets. There are numbers stamped on the housing and he and the cast in loading outlet manifold. However I don’t get anything when I Google these numbers. The numbers are:
A040814 and 4070 4F25B.

I think I have the real deal here but how can you really tell?

View attachment 3147621View attachment 3147622
Bump. Anyone?

That looks like the real one .. the others come in brown or white boxes.

Well my Airtex replacement has been siting in a box until today!

The one that came with the tank blew out while we were out camping and wheeling last weekend.

The fuel started spraying out through the casing when the pump was on and dripping out when not in use.

I'm not sure why, but my aux refill fuel lines for the pump are 5/16 and the airtex takes 3/8 lines.

I post a pic later.

I've been reading through all the LRA threads and besides pump upgrades, there are some who have upgraded all of the hoses an fittings. I believe SLEE upgrades these components and @Eric Sarjeant has an upgrade kit for the LRA tanks he installs. While upgrading the LRA brass fittings and hoses to Parker Quick Connect, and Parker hose would cool and certainly better, it seems excessive given the cost. Even if you build the upgrade kit yourself, its still pretty expensive. I know its a fuel system and quality matters here but are the LRA really so inadequate that spending $1000 or more to upgrade is really warranted? Has anyone running with the LRA brass fittings, hose and hose clamps had issues?

I'm running the stock LRA pumping and hose setup (but a modified breather circuit). It has worked fine. I do have a higher volume pump that I'll install next Spring, just to reduce transfer times (and hopefully eliminate the woodpecker sound).

I upgraded the pump and filter as the pump that came with it started leaking fuel. The casing was separating on the pump. I have been heavily using my for years with the only problem being the pump. I also bought and installed the LRA tank on my jeep and that one did not have any problems with parts.

No I would not do all that extra $1000 in upgrades even if I was going to re-do it.

Fuel Pump Leak PIc's

fuel-leak-01.jpg

fuel-leak-02.jpg

Last edited:
Any update on your fuel pump upgrades over the past few months? I'm looking to have this done (as best I can) right the first time.

Do I need to get upgraded fuel hose if I go with the Holley Red?

TIA.

Any update on your fuel pump upgrades over the past few months? I'm looking to have this done (as best I can) right the first time.

Do I need to get upgraded fuel hose if I go with the Holley Red?

TIA.
Mine is still sitting on a shelf. Hopefully will go in the end of January. I’m not planning on upgrading the hoses. I will use stainless steel hose clamps though.

I've been reading through all the LRA threads and besides pump upgrades, there are some who have upgraded all of the hoses a fittings. I believe SLEE upgrades these components and @Eric Sarjeant has an upgrade kit for the LRA tanks he installs. While upgrading the LRA brass fittings and hoses to Parker Quick Connect, and Parker hose would cool and certainly better, it seems excessive given the cost. Even if you build the upgrade kit yourself, its still pretty expensive. I know its a fuel system and quality matters here but are the LRA really so inadequate that spending $1000 or more to upgrade is really warranted? Has anyone running with the LRA brass fittings, hose and hose clamps had issues?
I am and it’s absolutely worth the upgrade with zero issues. It’s a fuel system after all and I want to be sure I have the best possible parts, especially hoses. Also, transferring 12.5gal. of fuel only takes 10mins and it’s quiet after it kicks on. The top of fuel tank has a rubber mat of some sort to prevent any chance of squeaks from movement.

Last edited:
I am and it’s absolutely worth the upgrade with zero issues. It’s a fuel system after all and I want to be sure I have the best possible parts, especially hoses. Also, transferring 12.5gal. of fuel only takes 10mins and it’s quiet after it kicks on. The top of fuel tank has a rubber mat of some sort to prevent any chance of squeaks from movement.
The fuel pump by "precision pump" I was told they use as an upgrade is only about $80 from O'Reilly auto parts. The Holley is around $190 or so from several stores (holley, jegs, etc) and seems like a better pump compared to any of the others. Is the hose and clamp set you're talking about similar to ABA clamps like: ABA Original Clamp | 12mm Bandwidth & 15mm to 307mm Diameter Range - https://www.normaamericasds.com/product/aba-original

I've used the ABA before with good results, but want to ensure as trouble free long term results. I have no direct experience with specific hoses for fuel.

The fuel pump by "precision pump" I was told they use as an upgrade is only about $80 from O'Reilly auto parts. The Holley is around $190 or so from several stores (holley, jegs, etc) and seems like a better pump compared to any of the others. Is the hose and clamp set you're talking about similar to ABA clamps like: ABA Original Clamp | 12mm Bandwidth & 15mm to 307mm Diameter Range - https://www.normaamericasds.com/product/aba-original

I've used the ABA before with good results, but want to ensure as trouble free long term results. I have no direct experience with specific hoses for fuel.
Here‘s a couple close up pics as I have no idea what clamps they are.

91629C02-2925-4418-A878-7F221878A57F.png

61466AE1-5B68-4E67-931E-FA4F31CC6A5C.png

E758FBEF-79E6-461D-B516-21052FB9F9DF.jpeg

525FF63E-E410-4D13-A56A-2E83FD045049.jpeg

50C0F165-E80A-4818-B9AF-28A65422CCA1.png

Last edited:
I think that style of clamp is generically called a t-bolt hose clamp.

They all do the same job. As long as it has the correct ID to fit the hose, it shouldn't matter. Grab your calipers and measure the OD of the hose and then compare it to the fitment chart from the clamp vendor. Pick the material that is best for your operating environment.

I prefer Breeze stainless constant torque clamps where possible. But in this case where that hose is only used when filling the tank and there isn't any pressure inside it, I can't imagine it matters much what kind of clamp you use.

@CharlieS Thanks for that. Those clamps look like they'd work just fine and last longer than the tank.

For anyone who's done this installation, how many clamps are needed? I'm thinking at least six. But am trying to nail down the sizes of each so I can hand them off to installer without issue. Thank again.

My tanks is almost installed. looking at wiring of the Airtex E84070N pump but can't find any data on amp draw. I see from above that @DesmoPilot used 10 awg wire from the relay. That seems pretty heavy. I wouldn't think this pump draws more than 10 amps but that's a WAG. The Holly pump is only a 2 amp draw according to @Julian73 post above.

My tanks is almost installed. looking at wiring of the Airtex E84070N pump but can't find any data on amp draw. I see from above that @DesmoPilot used 10 awg wire from the relay. That seems pretty heavy. I wouldn't think this pump draws more than 10 amps but that's a WAG. The Holly pump is only a 2 amp draw according to @Julian73 post above.

Directions included say to use a 10 amp fuse. It uses about 4 amps.

Directions included say to use a 10 amp fuse. It uses about 4 amps.
thanks. Installer says it isn't in the directions. Called Airtex (800-253-6009) and a human answered, I asked, he looked it up. 4 -5 amps. That telephone technology allowing real time voice communications is amazing...

I went heavier due to the length of the run and to prevent voltage drop. I have experienced voltage drop issues on a previous build. The Red pump is rated at 2A once it is running. The startup will be higher. Holley specs a 10A fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom