*UPDATED* Eimkeith RAM (radius arm mount) install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on these. I have the correction plates and the new 144/145VTs ready to go on which will probably net about 4" on my truck. If I'm following correctly, I'd want to run both in order to get caster back into spec right?

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on these. I have the correction plates and the new 144/145VTs ready to go on which will probably net about 4" on my truck. If I'm following correctly, I'd want to run both in order to get caster back into spec right?

There is a good chance you might need both. If I were you I would do the RAM kit first than get an alignment and go from there.

You also might want to consider trunion bearings for the additional caster correction after the RAM.

There is a good chance you might need both. If I were you I would do the RAM kit first than get an alignment and go from there.

You also might want to consider trunion bearings for the additional caster correction after the RAM.

Sounds good. These are easy enough and don't have to do any cutting unless I need to do the plates.

I’m having to Slee plates with my RAMs to get enough caster. But you may have to have a part time kit. You may get vibes with that much caster correction.

I’m having to Slee plates with my RAMs to get enough caster. But you may have to have a part time kit. You may get vibes with that much caster correction.
Will trunion bearing caster correction also affect drive line angle?

Yes sir, any caster correction will impact the driveline angle.

Will trunion bearing caster correction also affect drive line angle?

The off set trunion bearings rotate the knuckle not the axle so they don't impact drive line angles. But could increase the possibility of tie rod contact when used with other correction methods.

The off set trunion bearings rotate the knuckle not the axle so they don't impact drive line angles. But could increase the possibility of tie rod contact when used with other correction methods.

the RAMs won't exacerbate the tie rod contact issue (since they maintain the relationship between the radius arms and the axle) but the trunion bearings would as would the plates - although as you said, those offset trunion bearings shouldn't impact pinion angle. They sound appealing to me.

I had a friend weld these on before my trip to sand hollow. I’m running dobinsons tapered springs (getting 4” of lift), slee plates, and the RAM. If I calculated it right, I’m running somewhere between 3.5 snd 4.5 degrees of caster ( I have a parting kit sooo no vibes for me). The RAM has completely changed the 80. I removed the sway bar when we got to the rental house and now the 80 corners like it used to with the sway bar on. Body roll is drastically decreased and the increase in anti dive definitely makes me feel more confident on hard stops. And the ride is way smoother on the trail, it soaks up bumps better, climbs better, and (my favorite part) the 80 doesn’t just fall when coming off of an obstacle. When one of the front tires dropped out, it used to feel like it would almost pull the car down the obstacle with it, not anymore. I know the RAM will increase down travel by 2” but it also feels like it has made the front end more apt to articulate. I’m extremely happy with how much better the 80 feels in every scenario. I’m excited to see how it wheels once we start getting in to harder stuff later in the week!

Maybe I’m crazy, or it’s a good product with a myriad of benefits

View attachment 2629490
How can the Ram increase down travel ?

When the pivot point is lower, ultimate down travel is increased with the hub center farther forward. Dropping the frame Mount is the most correct form of correction. We avoid this method only because the bracket hangs down lower.

When the pivot point is lower, ultimate down travel is increased with the hub center farther forward. Dropping the frame Mount is the most correct form of correction. We avoid this method only because the bracket hangs down lower.
Please explain, I having a hard time wrapping my head around this !
Fully agree with the last statement.

The arm starts off more level rather than being started into its arc at static ride height. Those brackets are great for those running stock arms.

I still don't get it, with 6" lift shocks on my Rig the axle just kept doping tell the shock max out, now with 4" lift shock it's 2" less
As far as I can tell it shocks that limit down travel with in the working limits of our suspensions.
I have been wrong before, school me

I still don't get it, with 6" lift shocks on my Rig the axle just kept doping tell the shock max out, now with 4" lift shock it's 2" less
As far as I can tell it shocks that limit down travel with in the working limits of our suspensions.
I have been wrong before, school me
Somebody jump in if I’m wrong on this. It’s my understanding that when radius arms flex, they axle also rotate due to the suspension moving in an arc—- side moving up also moves forward—- side moving down, also moves backwards. When the radius arm is at the sock angle. This isn’t a problem.

But it’s my understanding that when you start working in angles, far exceeding what the radius arm was designed for, ie.. lifting an 80, the fore and aft motion of the axle either at full droop— or full stuff, is to great. Which ends up causing the bushings to bind.
This leads me to believe that this is why most 80s suffer in the down travel department🤷🏽‍♀️

Some people don’t run into this issue because they have larger/ heavier tires that force the radius arm bushing into compliance and longer springs which provide constant downward pressure also forcing the bushings into compliance.

Somebody jump in if I’m wrong on this. It’s my understanding that when radius arms flex, they axle also rotate due to the suspension moving in an arc—- side moving up also moves forward—- side moving down, also moves backwards. When the radius arm is at the sock angle. This isn’t a problem.

But it’s my understanding that when you start working in angles, far exceeding what the radius arm was designed for, ie.. lifting an 80, the fore and aft motion of the axle either at full droop— or full stuff, is to great. Which ends up causing the bushings to bind.
This leads me to believe that this is why most 80s suffer in the down travel department🤷🏽‍♀️

Some people don’t run into this issue because they have larger/ heavier tires that force the radius arm bushing into compliance and longer springs which provide constant downward pressure also forcing the bushings into compliance.

hey, thanks for that - all things being equal, moving the suspension down will give more down travel, ignoring shock limitations. However, what you're getting at is also important - both in the terms of fore/aft arc travel of the wheel (part of the reason I push the axle forward), and although I honestly hadn't thought about it - possibly bushing bind as well?

(there's also an anti-dive aspect to consider when climbing, but that's for another discussion) :)

Another way to think about it is this: anytime the 80 moves upward, both the front and rear axle move toward each other. When the 80 moves downward, the axles moves away from each other. So a 6" lifted 80 will have the axles closer to the center of the vehicle, hence the tire rubbage during turns and stuffing.

Last edited:
I agree with all of this and have spent a lot of time articulating the suspension. With the spring in and out, mostly with the spring out and shocks on. I would even let the suspension drop out with the 4" lift shock and the 6" lift shock, them put a 4x4 in one side were the spring should be and force the other side up to simulate articulation.
what I can say for sure is the arm and bushing are the biggest limitation in the 80s suspension.
With stock arms moved forward 11/8" there was no way I could get the suspension to articulation any near the travel of the 6" lift shock the 4x4 block would spit out with incredible force, when I strapped it in place it bent the bump stop that's in the spring 🤷‍♂️ it was the same with the 4" lift shock just not as severe.
I think that the RAM mount are one of the best way to correct caster in low lifts 2"s if you not going for extreme rock crawling, and in theory they should help down travel, but IMHO there no way your going to put a 2" drop bracket at the rear of the arm and achieve a additional 2" of travel at the axle, just not going to happen.
That being said it would be interesting to get two rigs with the same spring/ shock set. one with the drop brackets one with out and see what the real world improvement in down travel are.
Cheer's Let wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom