Unobtainuim? 11mm bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I seem to recall going through this before when I had my upholstery done. The seat rail/seat pan bolts are odd size. They also anchor my seat belts. Toyota doesn’t stock it, the hardware store also doesn’t have it. In the photos the silver one is OEM Toyota 10mm x 30mm 1.25 pitch. The black ones are original and a couple are rusted. The size appears to be 11mm x 30mm-1.25. Very odd. If I have to, I’ll drill the threads out and braze a nut inside and make a new blind nut in 12mm.

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_6565.jpeg

IMG_6569.jpeg

IMG_6570.jpeg

I barely tap and die metric stuff. I have done lots of odd screws and bolts for shooting related items. Usually there is enough meat on the next size up bolt turn off the threads and then die on the new smaller threads. Same goes for holes usually there is enough meat to drill and tap to the next size up bolt.

Easy there hot rod, there’s a simple explanation. Seat belt hardware was standardized to 7/16 UNF. They are only included with new oem belts, which is why you can’t find from Toyota. I scour junkyards for the hardware as it’s plentiful and standard across all Toyotas.
Right (TK43) head is original to my ‘78. The left with nicer cad is early/mid 80s Toyota.

If you want these, PM me, it’s my last set before I go hunting again.

IMG_5937.jpeg

IMG_5938.jpeg

IMG_5939.jpeg

Last edited:
I just reinstalled the lap belts in my 73 FJ40.

I have the original bolts. They look identical to the ones pictured above.

The bolts are M11 x 1.25 pitch. This is within class 2 thread tolerance for UNF 7/16 x 20.

The 73 has retractable lap belts. Both the buckle side and retract side have tangs on their base plates that fit into holes on the seat frame to prevent the plates from rotating. This feature is likely to avoid a moving plate from loosening the bolt.

The required bolt thread has been disgusted in other thread. I just recently cleaned out the bondo in the fixed nuts for the seat belts in 73 FST's jump seats on the roll bar when the three point seats moved to it bolt used which was already there changed thread. Believe this is for the DOT. Same with the eye bolts used to anchor pre 68 model seat belts.

At least it doesn't require a special tool. Bought a 73 Monte Carlo. I wanted to added a couple speakers to the back deck. After pulling out the bottom section of the back seat I found it required a special six point star for the bolts to get the back section out. Never understood the reasoning. Thought it may have been some DOT requirement.

@mattressking is absolutely correct. This odd size also applies to one of the four bolts on each of the OEM roll cage mounting pads. It confuses a lot of folks because it's an SAE bolt on a Japanese vehicle. Part of the reasoning behind this standard is because the unusual 7/16 UNF bolts are only made in a Grade 5, thereby reducing the chances that someone who doesn't know any better will anchor their seat belt with a bolt that doesn't have enough strength to meet requirements.

Easy there hot rod, there’s a simple explanation. Seat belt hardware was standardized to 7/16 UNF. They are only included with new oem belts, which is why you can’t find from Toyota. I scour junkyards for the hardware as it’s plentiful and standard across all Toyotas.
Right (TK43) head is original to my ‘78. The left with nicer cad is early/mid 80s Toyota.

If you want these, PM me, it’s my last set before I go hunting again.

View attachment 3460582

View attachment 3460583

View attachment 3460584
I had considered that possibility, because something seemed fishy at the hardware store when my bolt loosely fit the thread checker. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom