Un-cut Body and SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody out there have pictures and specs on their SOA 40 with an uncut body, i.e. rear fenders, rocker panels, and quarter panels left intact. Specs being, spring type, orientation(flipped or not), and who's shackle flip if one was used.

I am finally getting to the tear down of "Petunia" and I am noticing that I have the most complete, rust free, 40 body I have ever owned. However, I already have FJ60 axles(front cut and turned), shackle flip kit, power steering parts, ect, ready to go SOA. I was hoping to end up with 37- 38" tires, but if running 33-35" tires would allow for a more intact body I might consider it. It is easier to cut more out than put it back, but I want to know what it might look like NOW, not years from now when my schedule allows me to get to that point.

:cheers:

take a peek at mine in the "plow tech" thread. We custom made the body out of diamond plate steel and the quarters are stainless. The wheel openings are stock on the front. On the rear, the wheel openings are the same height from the top rail, and the bottom of the ends were only flared out ~1". Very close to stock openings.
The tires are 35x12.5 and the springs are stock. I don't believe that they have extra leafs or are lift springs, but they are definitely NOT flat like the stock ones were on my specific truck. You can see in the pic from the side that they have somewhat of an arch to them.

i asked this question probly about 6-8 months ago, i think they said a 35/12.5 would have the littlest rubbing and depending on the wheel you could have little to none.

im running ^^ set up, but im still re-building it from its resto-mod

Nice, I saw the old thread, but no one posted pictures.

I will check out the plow thread to see what you ended up with there.

at one point i had 35's and SOA with no cutting.. Keep it Stock wheelbase and very Low Spring over, and you should be ok!

This is how she looked (Front Springs Reversed)
attachment.php

Trevor

don't have any really good pics of the 68 from before i flipped the springs and cut the fenders, but here's a couple. soa with 36s
the build begins 18.jpg
hardtop.jpg

nuclearlemon

Could I get you to give some specs on how your 40 is set up in your second pic? Tire size? It's SOA, looks like shackle reversal. Looks good, lifted but not extreme.

Don

they will rub, by low i think he means no arched springs and no tall perches etc. works very nice

Before and after. SOA, spring flip, custom shackle reverse and shackles by me :), currently on 31's.
Picture 1283 (Medium).jpg
Picture 1260 (Medium).jpg

nuclearlemon

Could I get you to give some specs on how your 40 is set up in your second pic? Tire size? It's SOA, looks like shackle reversal. Looks good, lifted but not extreme.

Don

homegrown shackle reversal...just moved front spring hangers to rear and rear hangers to front. soa with stock springs, stock width axles with 36x12.50x15 radial swampers on chevy rally rims. both springs reversed

Before and after. SOA, spring flip, custom shackle reverse and shackles by me :), currently on 31's.

Nice work. Did you reverse the rear springs? The axle looks pretty well centered in the wheel well.

What size tire are you going to? When can we see pics?

Thanks for sharing, this is what I was looking for.

don't have any really good pics of the 68 from before i flipped the springs and cut the fenders, but here's a couple. soa with 36s

I like the look of your work too. It looks about factory but streched a bit. How much higher than the factory lip at the top of the wheel well did you go? How did you ease the raw edge to protect your tires?

I like the look of your work too. It looks about factory but streched a bit. How much higher than the factory lip at the top of the wheel well did you go? How did you ease the raw edge to protect your tires?

cut the fender all the way to the small lip where the inner fender welds in. never did get around to welding in a small "L" channel on the edge to keep the edge from cutting into the tire, but only hit one tire once. iirc, the wheelbase ended up being around 97"

Nice work. Did you reverse the rear springs? The axle looks pretty well centered in the wheel well.

What size tire are you going to? When can we see pics?

Thanks for sharing, this is what I was looking for.

I did not flip the rear springs or re-drill them, I would like 35's, but we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom