U joint hack job (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I needed my u joints replaced last minute before a long trip and didn’t have the time to do it myself. Took it to the local dealer and this is what I got back. I dunno if it’s right to put up who it is so for now I won’t.
Brought it back and talked with the service manager. They are comping me a brand new front driveshaft. I’m happy they made it right but damn...

11426118-B182-4A90-8A6F-1CC364CD69D6.jpeg

3DFF341D-CE38-43B7-987B-F1A3E8F734B7.jpeg

702A8F33-6372-4D46-990F-1306E81E1E04.jpeg

6D5BED75-F9E8-4B1D-B483-F93CCB33C5F3.jpeg

So I needed my u joints replaced last minute before a long trip and didn’t have the time to do it myself. Took it to the local dealer and this is what I got back. I dunno if it’s right to put up who it is so for now I won’t.
Brought it back and talked with the service manager. They are comping me a brand new front driveshaft. I’m happy they made it right but damn...

View attachment 2418923

View attachment 2418926

View attachment 2418927

View attachment 2418928
OMFG!

Please name the dealership, so we know where NOT to go. Even if they "make it right" no one should have EVER allowed that to take place.

Wow, that is terrible. Far beyond “acceptable.” Glad they took care of you, at least. See if you can get a double cardan out of it!

Funny side story - when I was 16 my buddy took his 87' Toyota pickup into the shop for new U joints, he showed up early to pick it up and saw them just beating on it with a hammer and said to himself, I could have done that.

Funny side story - when I was 16 my buddy took his 87' Toyota pickup into the shop for new U joints, he showed up early to pick it up and saw them just beating on it with a hammer and said to himself, I could have done that.

After the amount of hammering I did on mine, I am fine paying someone else to do the hammering next time! (Hopefully it won't look like this)

I can’t imagine if I showed up and saw them going at mine with a grinder or whatever they used to remove them

After the amount of hammering I did on mine, I am fine paying someone else to do the hammering next time! (Hopefully it won't look like this)

The first time is always the worst (typically 20 years after MFG Date for Toyotas). It’s a technically easy job, but it flat out sucks without good press tools.

That was clearly a grinder and cutoff wheel.

IDGAF Who you are, but that Shop Supervisor should have HEARD what was going on and investigated.

That tech needs to be FIRED. That's forked up. Only someone with NO mechanical knowledge would do that.

The out of phase thing on top of that means he took it completely apart to go after it too!

That's the kind of stuff I would be screaming at someone in the shop about and they would have to bodily throw me out.

I yelled at the Shop manager of the local Dodge dealership because I took my minivan in to do the front main and more work done on it because I was preparing it for many more years of service.

I got it back and they literally only installed HALF of the screws to hold on the cowl and on the complete bumper fascia. I had installed all new push plugs in the bumper two weeks before I had the work done and they did that.

I tried to get them to tell me which tech it was but I'm sure because I was too red faced they figured I was going to strangle the little bastard.

These are the examples of WHY I do all my own work.

I've done several U-joints in those driveshafts, and that's pretty much how you do it. BFH and a lot of sockets. A press will just frustrate you.

That was clearly a grinder and cutoff wheel.

IDGAF Who you are, but that Shop Supervisor should have HEARD what was going on and investigated.

That tech needs to be FIRED. That's forked up. Only someone with NO mechanical knowledge would do that.

The out of phase thing on top of that means he took it completely apart to go after it too!

That's the kind of stuff I would be screaming at someone in the shop about and they would have to bodily throw me out.

I yelled at the Shop manager of the local Dodge dealership because I took my minivan in to do the front main and more work done on it because I was preparing it for many more years of service.

I got it back and they literally only installed HALF of the screws to hold on the cowl and on the complete bumper fascia. I had installed all new push plugs in the bumper two weeks before I had the work done and they did that.

I tried to get them to tell me which tech it was but I'm sure because I was too red faced they figured I was going to strangle the little bastard.

These are the examples of WHY I do all my own work.

I try to do all my own as well. Between work and preparing for a coast to coast trip I just didn’t have the time. The tech that F’d it up came out the first go round and I laced into him so bad he went back inside and had the department manager come out while he hid in the shop.
I hope I didn’t burn that bridge with them cause they do price match McGeorge Toyota on parts and they are close enough I can walk there.

I try to do all my own as well. Between work and preparing for a coast to coast trip I just didn’t have the time. The tech that F’d it up came out the first go round and I laced into him so bad he went back inside and had the department manager come out while he hid in the shop.
I hope I didn’t burn that bridge with them cause they do price match McGeorge Toyota on parts and they are close enough I can walk there.
That was the situation I was in with my van. OMG that just gets me BOILING!

I usually don't get pissed at things, but that's a different story.

It REALLY makes me understand why people have a REALLY bad attitude about car repair shops and the work that's done. Stuff like that will kill people when it comes apart. A shop next to my office installed a new clutch in a well restored 69 Camaro. They had their flunkie do the work because they chose not to. The car rolled out the drive with the owner and was dead by the time it got 500 feet down the road. A bolt came out of the flywheel, went through the aluminum bell housing (factory original) and through the floor pan, and embedded itself in the bottom of the steel dash on the passenger side of the car. Thank God no one was rising with him.

I feel sorry for the woman that takes her car into the shop and has to accept what she's given because she doesn't know any better. Then it keeps "breaking" and they keep charging her to fix her car, when it's THEIR fault.

I will drive an hour to a shop I trust before I will go to a local dumbass that has proven themselves unworthy.

I was thinking of the same tool as @MoJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom