two front end kits: do i need the red one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtScaresMe

Trouble Maker
Threads
Website
facebook.com
I decided to put on a new steering stabilizer and had the awesome experience that is removing the balljoint thingies without the right tools. Amazon hosed up and sent me two kits. The grey one I think is what I want: it has various mechanical methods of pushing things around.

The red set there, if you look at the size compared to my book, is MASSIVE. It's seriously as big as my head. Marked as a "Ball Joint Service Kit w/ 4WD Adapters". I just think it's way too big to work anywhere on my 80.

Any thoughts? I'll sell the red one if it's not going to be of use to me.

5gFsh5T.jpg

Use a 3lb hammer hit it hard I used the grey one you have and it wouldn't fit properly. Gave up and in frustration hit it with a big hammer popped right off. Me in amazement and picking my jaw up off the the floor after messing with that puller for a couple hours

Yep, that red one is for pushing ball joints in and out. You don't have ball joints of that type on your front axle, you have trunnion bearings instead.

Use a 3lb hammer hit it hard I used the grey one you have and it wouldn't fit properly. Gave up and in frustration hit it with a big hammer popped right off. Me in amazement and picking my jaw up off the the floor after messing with that puller for a couple hours

It's really hard to hit "it" since it's a ball joint. Tends to wiggle a bit. I've heard of people using tools to knock these things off, and honestly I try to avoid BFH if at all possible.

It's snowing (again....) outside so I can't pop it on but I think the one on the top left there (as the picture is displayed) of the grey box might fit.

Yep, that red one is for pushing ball joints in and out. You don't have ball joints of that type on your front axle, you have trunnion bearings instead.

Perfect, thanks man!

top left is correct for tie rod ends. I "rent" it from oreillys when I need it....

I rented the top left tool in the grey box from Autozone for free (refundable deposit required) and used it to remove TREs. Worked like a charm.

Smack the steering component that the tie rod end pin is stuck in, not the rod end itself. Bang on as many sides as you can. It will eventually come out.

The same thing happened to me recently except it was two sets of $850 chromoly front axle shafts. Ya think i couldn't have made a few bucks on their mistake?? I sent them back because it was the right thing to do.

Related question: my emu steering stabilizer just has fasteners, nothing ball-jointy about it. Am I missing something?

The same thing happened to me recently except it was two sets of $850 chromoly front axle shafts. Ya think i couldn't have made a few bucks on their mistake?? I sent them back because it was the right thing to do.

I contacted them, they thanked me for my honesty then told me to keep it. It's happened a few times with amazon that if they screw up an order they've just said to keep it and thanks for the business.

Fork.jpg
I just use a fork and a BFH...
04-22-hammer-sledge.jpg

Last edited:
3 lb. hammer and pickle fork did the trick for removing the TREs on my steering link. I did have to bang on 'em for a while before they popped.

I beat the hell out of my pickle fork (insert joke here) and the TRE wouldn't budge. That other tool I mentioned was a piece of cake. Forks may be better for ball joints?
Get a propane torch and put some heat, the beat it...

Smack the steering component that the tie rod end pin is stuck in, not the rod end itself. Bang on as many sides as you can. It will eventually come out.

You're a better man than me. I would consider that a gift from the cruiser Gods for being a true believer and and kept it.

You're a better man than me. I would consider that a gift from the cruiser Gods for being a true believer and and kept it.
I ain't saying I'm pious or anything like that. Believe me, I thought about what do for a few days and decided that stealing an $800 axle set was too much for me. I think the shipping manager chewed out or fired the guy who messed up because he requested a photo of the signature on the packing slip. I ended up getting a nice bag of Nitro swag a couple days later.

pickle forks are old school and often don't work and they will trash your boots. use one of the pullers in the grey case. i have the bottom one and love it

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom