Turn signal/Flasher issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Post #7
I'm fairly certain that some of those lamps above are not supposed to flash. Just the ones on the fender pointing forward, and the ones on the rear bumper?

That blue crimp 'ring' connector looks like you struggled. For that wire, it would have been easier if it was a 16 to 18g (red).

Again, the hazard switch and the turn signal switch are in need of half-century maintenance.
What all should be flashing with the hazards on? Currently, nothing is. Only the tail lights flash when the turn signal switch is on right turn. I definitely suck at the electrical stuff so struggle is a good word to describe my work haha

Just get in there and do it. Now that I’ve forced myself to learn it, it’s so much easier to diagnose issues. I think about the electrical flow as water flow. The ground is the ocean each river flows to and a bad ground/connection is like a dam in the way of the flow.

I cleaned up the wiring on my 40, added protection to the main harness, fixed grounds and added an accessory circuit. And recently wired a new Volvo wiper motor in place of the stock one.

Good luck.

4B2332B9-7367-47AD-94E9-2EDC51A93696.jpeg

Use star washers at each ground location. They will bite in to the metal and get you better contact.

you also need to make sure you have the proper bulbs in those lights and that the bulbs seat properly in their housings

is the correct flasher relay in place ?

The wattage/code was listed at RockAuto. Then, you can go to any auto store with that information. Many try to make LED flash, but, they don't run hot enough to make the flasher unit click. If you can't pull a minimum wattage/amperage from the switches, points inside the clicker, or harness wires, then it is the same symptom.

I can't tell, have you posted a pic of the lamps on the rear bumper/back frame rail, yet? Many new Cruiser owners find that things got hacked when a trailer connection was added/modified.

Unfortunately, Toyota won't send a resto-correct bulb, but I got some non-Kioto brand from them before. I still need to replace the whole set of mine; I loose motivation after stuff arrives and it gets parts-stashed.

I have a digital multi-meter (An automotive multimeter) from Harbor Freight. It lets me see electrical resistance, and voltage drops. That will take guess work out of the aged system. It is a basic requirement for doing a tuneup on the engine, especially if the distributor is used, or it is a points-type.

The first thing when working on a new old truck, is make sure that you have a fusible link (mine is a white wire with spade connectors) on the battery positive, and make sure that there are proper fuses in the fuse panel. My buddy had a fire on his '75; I roached part of my first '73.

From what I can tell the early FJ40's had 64 1/2 miles of nothing but turnsignal wiring! Never seen so many feet of t-signal wiring in any other vehicle in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom