Troubleshooting brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have replaced the front calipers, rear drum cylinders were done last year...

I bled the fronts, and the rears, but still can't get the pedal to harden up...if I pump the pedal hard and fast it firms up, and holds pressure about two inches from the floor, but if I release and come down again, i go right to the floor. The master is only a couple of years old...could it be leaking internally?

Is there a point to keep bleeding ? there are no bubbles whatsoever from any corner...

Brake masters can certainly leak internally.

If your brake lines are in good shape you can put a clamp on each rubber line. Small vise grips work well. If you still have a soft peddal then it's the master. If it hardens up realease on clamp at a time till the pedal gets soft and you've found your problem.

Great idea....tried it...it's the rears, one rubber line feeds both, when i clamped it i got a hard pedal about 1/2 way down, and stayed hard...

now to look into them and see what's what...

Great idea....tried it...it's the rears, one rubber line feeds both, when i clamped it i got a hard pedal about 1/2 way down, and stayed hard...

now to look into them and see what's what...
If it has been a year since you did the rears, then they may be way overdue for adjusting. Remember, there are NOT automatically adjusted, like most other rigs. Ya gotta git under there and do them by hand. John

If it has been a year since you did the rears, then they may be way overdue for adjusting. Remember, there are NOT automatically adjusted, like most other rigs. Ya gotta git under there and do them by hand. John

X2 The springs keep the shoes all the way in too. So keeping them properly adjusted is very important.

I did adjust them out...maybe not far enough? out till the pads just make contact then back two? or do you go out until it stops the wheel spinning, then back off?

I did the adjustment, and the mushy pedal is still there...

Leaking wheel cylinder(s)?

you go out until it stops the wheel spinning, then back off?

I did the adjustment, and the mushy pedal is still there...

I adjusted mine with still a little rub all the way around. I doubt you have them adjusted tight enough.

I have since modded to the disc brakes in the rear...:bounce:

I had replaced my rear cylinders with CCOT cheap wheel cylinders and had to double pump the pedal to get a hard pedal. Even with the rear pads adjusted all the way out, I still had a pedal that I had to pump which eliminated the possibility that the rear brake pads where not adjusted properly. I ended up having to disassemble the wheel cylinders in place and bleed the air out of the top seal because they where air bound. Just to let you know, before dissassembling the wheel cylinders in place, I pressure bled and vacuum bled several times and still had the same problem. The cheap ccot wheel cylinders where constructed different then the OEM which let a pocket of air to be trapped. If you do a search under my name (fjross), there should be a post (brake pedal problem final solved) which details the procedure.

If the pedal feels spongy, then there is air in the system.

If the pedal rises when you pump it, the brakes need adjusting.

Sounds like the rears aren't tight enough. Adjust out until the tire can't be turned, THEN back off a couple of clicks. They will still rub a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom