Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Was it due to the clearance behind that bearing we looked at?

Nope not that one.

When installing a doubler on any Toyota transmission you need to cut the transmission output shaft down. When you do this you lose the stack of gears spacers and bearings all compressed by the threaded nut on the end of that output shaft. Without that all tightened down onto the shaft the only thing stopping it from sliding towards the transmission is the press fit of the bearings. These fits are tight but may not be tight enough and in my experience are far to loose to stop that shaft from thrusting forward into the transmission.

My fix was a welded spacer tight to the last bearing. The spacer is tacked to the output shaft in 3 spots. Now for the shaft to head forward all three tacks need to break.

image.jpeg

Back in action and shifting wonderfully again. Thanks to @RocDoc for all the help these last few nights

Back in action and shifting wonderfully again. Thanks to @RocDoc for all the help these last few nights

No problem, beats bookwork. Besides, good experience for when I put a H55 in my truck.

Well testeday chars folks were up so with a borrowed tractor and a borrowed back we moved some heavy parts around. Pauls 1hz engine tranny t case to Seacan, Tyler h55 and parts to Seacan, Tyler's new 14bolt to garage and Tyler's Dana 60 to garage. This officially has begun the one tonning of troopy.

For inspirations sake char and I went out to the local trails yesterday afternoon. Troopy did great not even needing low range at all. We splashed around the mud and quite enjoyed ourselves.

This leads us to today. I decided to tear into the 14 bolt. Having only read about their greatness it was nice to see it first hand. A very well designed and serviceable axle. Everything is 100% larger than a cruiser it seems and they could be even easier to set up than a Toyota third. I pulled the axle shafts, no stupid cone washers to fight with, the carrier, and finally the pinion and pinion support bearing. All came apart easily.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next I test fit the shaved diff cover and got to see just how much clearance I gain. Turns out to be nearly 1.5"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Next I marked the cut and went at it first with my trusty porta band, quite possibly my favourite tool. It was slow and catious work..... Not my style.

I had the bulk of the cut complete and then spent the next hour or better test fitting, grind, test fit, grind, test fit until it all bolted together without interference and with a little gap to be welded in later.

image.jpeg

One more pic

image.jpeg

Spent part of the afternoon working away at removing the brackets I don't need from the diff. Ate my fair share of grinder dust but it is done now. Next up to to fit and tack in the the truss….Then wash troopy up and get him ready for the long stay in the garage for a while until he can get re suspended…..

Anything more to show yet?

Hey Ty, any forward movement on the axle / suspension whiz-bangaroo?

Not a darn thing. Other life priorities are getting in the way. I really need to put it on the hoise and pull the axles out to become fully committed.

May as well keep it mobile in the meantime if you aren't able to get at it yet. :)

IMG_6174.JPG
IMG_6201.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG
IMG_6215.JPG
So it's been a while. And since I'm getting hitched I needed to spruce troopy up again for the wedding.

Looks like you are off to the races with some serious spiffying.

IMG_6228.JPG
IMG_6231.JPG
IMG_6232.JPG
Doing this reminds me why I don't like doing this.

Primer is on. It's not terribly straight but ya know whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom